PDA

View Full Version : My Lore Bard just made level 8

Matrix_Walker
2018-08-26, 09:26 PM
My Lore Bard just made level 8...

He's a Yuan ti pureblood (secreted)
His level 4 Feat was Resilient Constitution.

It's a large party with a gaggle of damage dealers
A Blood Hunter (Profane Soul)
A Barbarian (Totem Warrior)
A Fighter (Samurai) / Barbarian (2)
A Rogue (Assasin)
A Wizard (Diviner)
A Sorcerer (Wild Magic) / Life Cleric (2)
And my Lore Bard...

I'm pretty Happy with my spell selections thus far...
Prestidigitation
Minor Illusion
Vicious Mockery

Dissonant Whispers
Fairy Fire
Healing Word

Find Steed (Magical Secrets)
Magic Mouth
Shatter
Enhance Ability

Fear
Enemies Abound
Counterspell (Magical Secrets)

Greater Invisibility
Polymorph

I have a 16 Dex for the rare times I'm in melee range, and lovely rolling let me start with a 20 Charisma. I do not need to worry about devoting any more ASI's to attributes, so it's all Feats for me! My GM is allowing the Tal’Dorei guide's Feats. (The game started in Ferun, but we were transported to Tal'Dorei and have been adventuring all over Vox Machina's old stomping grounds. ) I took Resiliant Constitution as I was planning to take Dual-Focused and for that to work I'd bave to make allot of CON saves. I was also very tempted by Spell Driver to add a Healing Word to my other spellcasting turns.

But here I am finally getting to level 8 and I have a little problem. I keep failing my rolls. Every time I try and use my social skills, come up with a piece of infomation, or attempt to swashbuckle a bit, I get a case off the Wheatons. So after 7 levels of well made plans, I'm sorely tempted to just take the Lucky Feat.

So Here is what I am posting about: think it's better to stay the course and go with double maintenance? Or screw it and shore up my daring and cleverosity?

And i get to add a spell and swap one out, so I thought I'd as the hivemind on suggestions there as well.

iTreeby
2018-08-26, 09:43 PM
My Lore Bard just made level 8...

He's a Yuan ti pureblood (secreted)
His level 4 Feat was Resilient Constitution.

It's a large party with a gaggle of damage dealers
A Blood Hunter (Profane Soul)
A Barbarian (Totem Warrior)
A Fighter (Samurai) / Barbarian (2)
A Rogue (Assasin)
A Wizard (Diviner)
A Sorcerer (Wild Magic) / Life Cleric (2)
And my Lore Bard...

I'm pretty Happy with my spell selections thus far...
Prestidigitation
Minor Illusion
Vicious Mockery

Dissonant Whispers
Fairy Fire
Healing Word

Find Steed (Magical Secrets)
Magic Mouth
Shatter
Enhance Ability

Fear
Enemies Abound
Counterspell (Magical Secrets)

Greater Invisibility
Polymorph

I have a 16 Dex for the rare times I'm in melee range, and lovely rolling let me start with a 20 Charisma. I do not need to worry about devoting any more ASI's to attributes, so it's all Feats for me! My GM is allowing the Tal’Dorei guide's Feats. (The game started in Ferun, but we were transported to Tal'Dorei and have been adventuring all over Vox Machina's old stomping grounds. ) I took Resiliant Constitution as I was planning to take Dual-Focused and for that to work I'd bave to make allot of CON saves. I was also very tempted by Spell Driver to add a Healing Word to my other spellcasting turns.

But here I am finally getting to level 8 and I have a little problem. I keep failing my rolls. Every time I try and use my social skills, come up with a piece of infomation, or attempt to swashbuckle a bit, I get a case off the Wheatons. So after 7 levels of well made plans, I'm sorely tempted to just take the Lucky Feat.

So Here is what I am posting about: think it's better to stay the course and go with double maintenance? Or screw it and shore up my daring and cleverosity?

And i get to add a spell and swap one out, so I thought I'd as the hivemind on suggestions there as well.

I'd take lucky.

Duel driver seems great but I'd only use it if the spells I were using with it were... Active. Like, you can invis two people or polymorph two people but then you don't get actions, just sit there consentrating I feel like twin metamagic is better for that role if one needed duel concentration buffs because of the action economy benifits of doing it that way.

Spell driver probably has good uses but it doesn't actually let you do anything new again, it would be great on a sorcerer.

Lucky helps with anything you need three times a day, that's a big deal.

Aaron Underhand
2018-08-27, 02:17 AM
Add enhance ability to your spell list...

Snivlem
2018-08-27, 03:12 AM
Add enhance ability to your spell list...

It is already there.

If there is nothing in else in particular you are looking for, and you don't like failing those dire dise rolls, you won't regret picking lucky.

Unless there's a very specific reason you have picked magic mouth, I'd swap that out for either hold person, suggestion, heat metal or invisibility. I find it har to argue not having at least 2 of those on a bards list.

Aaron Underhand
2018-08-27, 03:31 AM
It is already there.

If there is nothing in else in particular you are looking for, and you don't like failing those dire dise rolls, you won't regret picking lucky.

Doh! How did I miss that. It's a spell my bard dropped at one point, then immediatly relearnt next level, gets a lot of use outside if combat.

Have to agree with lucky. You could, if you have the stats consider a two level dip in wizard for divination portent. Or get either mage Initiate or a cleric dip for guidance and bless. If dipping cleric two levels of knowledge may be useful for skills

Matrix_Walker
2018-08-27, 04:21 PM
It is already there.

Unless there's a very specific reason you have picked magic mouth, I'd swap that out for either hold person, suggestion, heat metal or invisibility. I find it har to argue not having at least 2 of those on a bards list.

Magic Mouth is kind of a big deal for him. He has made dozens of rocks he keeps in a satchel for all kinds of occasions, as well as to have a portable soundtrack of his acapella hits.

I'll probably be going with Lucky...

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-08-27, 04:40 PM
Lucky is pretty neat. If we ever get to level up again I'm not going to take it but just because our fighter has it and I don't want to make him less unique. Magic Initiate for them attacking cantrips is my back up choice if I feat instead of ability boost.

MaxWilson
2018-08-27, 05:34 PM

I just want to point out that you've also got Cutting Words to penalize your target's Insight checks, or whatever they are using to oppose your attempt to use social skills. It won't work in all cases but it may be applicable.

I wasn't clear on what you were possibly considering instead of Lucky, but given what you've described, Lucky is a strong choice. And yes, please do use Enhance Ability.