PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder/Ranger Built

Rumo
2018-08-27, 01:06 AM
Hi!

I would like to discuss a character that I intend to play in the adventure path Iron Gods. In order to make my idea more understandable, I will describe its genesis.

First I wanted to play a pure Paladin, scimitar and shield. I know that 2h-weapon is stronger in pathfinder, but I have my reasons: The game master has nerfed Power Attack, in another campaign I am already playing a Falcion wielding Slayer, I like the idea to be a little bit stronger on the defense and I also like the idea to be carrying yet another enchantable item.

Then I fell upon the idea to include shield bash. Rolling more attacks is always fun, and when I learned about the possibility to send opponents flying via Shield Slam, I was in love. But this requires Two-Weapon-Fighting, which in turn requires DEX 15, which is somewhat out of reach for a character that is supposed to have DEX 10.

But if I dip in 2 levels of Ranger, I can learn this feat. What's 2 levels in the long run? Besides, a +2 Favoured Enemy bonus against constructs would really be nice, especially since many of them are not evil, and thus not subject to my Smite.

After sleeping over it, I came to yet another, more radical idea: Why stop at 2? Why not make it six levels of Ranger? +4 against constructs, a second Favoured Enemy, and Improved Two-Weapon-Fighting for yet another Shield Slam.

Only major downside (yes, of course there is a couple of minor ones) I see: In the long run, Lay on Hands will lose three dice.

Do I miss anything? Any reason why this build is not going to work the way I hope it does?

Florian
2018-08-27, 02:30 AM
Iron Gods is, you know, THE ranged combat AP. Everyone and their dog will run around with high tech weapons and those, as well as grenades, are the main loot you will have to handle. So if you don't want to go for a shocking grasp Magus build, which rocks in this AP like nothing else, going sword and board is absolutely not recommended and meshing up two classes that don't mix well, like at all, for some free feats is kinda ....well... the word starts with "s".

Archery Ranger with FE Constructs, Undead and Aberrations as well as FT Underground and Urban is like easy mode for this AP.

Rumo
2018-08-27, 02:45 AM
Still I suppose that even this AP requires a tank character, doesn't it? A lone Rogue at the front line will feel somewhat vulnerable (and have no flanking partner). And the main point of this class mix is, of course, not the free feat, but the 15 DEX requirement.
Still, thinking about it again, it might make more sense to stop at Ranger 2.

Florian
2018-08-27, 02:59 AM
Still I suppose that even this AP requires a tank character, doesn't it?

To a lesser degree than other APs, due to the high volume of enemies equipped with ranged attacks.
Armor Tanking is also not so much a thing, when high tech weapons start to crop up in earnest, the only thing that counts is touch AC and reflex save.

Recommendations:
There’re very few technology-based melee weapons around.
Having a Shocking Grasp-based Magus around is „easy mode“ for this AP.
Be careful with companions, familiars and „pets“. The most common type of item and loot are various types of hand grenades, so there’s a lot more area damage going on than in normal APs. Anything that grants energy resistant is your friend.
Be aware that high tech firearms deal energy damage and Clustered Shot only help at overcoming DR.
Undead are surprisengly common enemy types in this AP.

CasualViking
2018-08-27, 05:41 AM
You know, with sword and board, you have already given up Lay on Hands, by not having a free hand available.

Florian
2018-08-27, 06:16 AM
You know, with sword and board, you have already given up Lay on Hands, by not having a free hand available.

True for Heavy Shields, not necessarily for Light Shields, which allow to grip/hold/use a non-weapon thing.

Rumo
2018-08-27, 09:00 AM
Yes. Of course I was thinking of Light Shield.

But your argument is convincing. In a scenario like this, spending several feats and some Paladin progression just to get an additional Shield Slam attack is not worth it. I still think that this mix might be interesting in an AP that is more focused on melee and few types of enemies, like for example Hell's Rebels.

I will stick with Paladin though (I don't need easy mode...), but with shields being so absurdly underpowered in Pathfinder, I will choose the good old boring Falcion as weapon. Maybe exchange it for a Chainsaw one day? (Yes, I heard a few spoilers here and there.)

Florian
2018-08-27, 09:11 AM
This AP is very dungeon heavy with very few chances to go shopping. So expect to survive by equipping what you can loot. Interesting melee weapons are pretty rare. You get a shock baton early on, a magic chainsaw in the second part and one named bastard sword in the last stretch, everything else is not worth mentioning. Naturally, a Paladin can counter that a bit by going for a weapon bond instead of the animal companion, riding in dungeons doesn't really do it anyway.