PDA

View Full Version : Highest HP possible character at level 20

Heloski
2018-08-27, 09:53 AM
Doing some theory-crafting for fun, came to the result of a HILL Dwarf Barbarian with 24 CON and the Tough Feat, using average HP this comes out to around 345 HP. I'm not so inclined in magic items however, does anyone know a combination that would make possibly higher or any magic items that could increase your HP beyond that? Any magic items are allowed.

Edit: Accidentally said mountain dwarf instead of Hill Dwarf.

Millface
2018-08-27, 09:55 AM
Doing some theory-crafting for fun, came to the result of a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian with 24 CON and the Tough Feat, using average HP this comes out to around 345 HP. I'm not so inclined in magic items however, does anyone know a combination that would make possibly higher or any magic items that could increase your HP beyond that? Any magic items are allowed.

I mean... you pretty much covered it here. Even artifacts don't raise a stat above 24, so that's capped, and tough can only be taken once and you did that. Without increasing CON there's no other way to increase hit points that I know of.

If you want to count temporary hit points there are a few ways to do that, however.

hymer
2018-08-27, 10:33 AM
Why not Hill dwarf? They get +1hp per level.

As for magical items, Manual of Bodily Health increases con score and con max by 2 for each one you use.

Unoriginal
2018-08-27, 10:37 AM
Why not Hill dwarf? They get +1hp per level.

So 365 HPs at lvl 20 according to OP's calculations.

As for magical items, Manual of Bodily Health increases con score and con max by 2 for each one you use.

Which allows you to go up to 30, which is the absolute maximum possible. For a bonus of +10.

So to re-take the conditions stated by OP, with a Hill Dwarf Barbarian with 30 in CON, you'd have 425 HPs.

What I don't get is why use average HPs if you want the highest HP possible at lvl 20?

Naanomi
2018-08-27, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I expect you meant Hill Dwarf; as it gets you a few more... one of my (currently low level) AL characters is a Hill Dwarf Ancestral Guardian; at level 20 I expect 345 HP. A mountain dwarf would only have 325

UrielAwakened
2018-08-27, 10:41 AM
Abjuration Wizard with a few Barbarian levels and Warlock levels can pump their EHP pretty damn high but I don't know that it's viable as a build outside of "look at how high my HP is."

For novelty let's say 20 Con (100 HP) + 12 for first level Barb + 1d8 Warlock levels + 2d12 more Barbarian levels (for rage + resistance to all but psychic) + the last 16d6 Wizard levels. That gives us either 38 or 39 ward hit points (I don't actually know if you get can 20 Int and Con this way offhand. Probably not so subtract a few ward points if so) + 40 hit points from 8th level Armor of Agathys.

That gives us a total of 273 hit points, or an effective total of 546 hit points vs. all but psychic while raging. I think.

EDIT: I forgot Tough exists. You could trade one ASI for it and it gives you more. So 312 and 624, respectively.

AureusFulgens
2018-08-27, 10:41 AM
So 365 HPs at lvl 20 according to OP's calculations.

What I don't get is why use average HPs if you want the highest HP possible at lvl 20?

I think there are two ways to answer this question. One is highest you can guarantee, which would require taking 7 HP (instead of rolling) every level. In that case, average makes sense.

But you could also consider the case out there in probabilistic space where you manage to roll a 12 every level. Not somewhere I can do the calculations right now.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-27, 10:48 AM
20 Levels of Barbarian: +145
Hill Dwarf: +20
24 Constitution: +140
Tough Feat: +40
Manual of Bodily Health (must be used at level 20): +10-30
Total: 355-375

Besides that, be a Bear Totem Barbarian to effectively double your HP against anything but psychic damage. Also, take healing items of your choice.

I think there are two ways to answer this question. One is highest you can guarantee, which would require taking 7 HP (instead of rolling) every level. In that case, average makes sense.

But you could also consider the case out there in probabilistic space where you manage to roll a 12 every level. Not somewhere I can do the calculations right now.
Much less then 0.00?% apparently. (https://anydice.com/program/88b3)

AureusFulgens
2018-08-27, 10:56 AM
So let's suppose we're living in this fairyland where the d12 always gives us 12 HP per level, and we can get our hands on the appropriate Manual. Then our numbers are something like...

Barbarian lvl. 20: 240
Hill Dwarf: 20
24 Con: 140
Tough feat: 40
Manual of Bodily Health: 20 (assuming your Con goes up by one more modifier)
Total: a whopping 460.

EDIT: yes, probability of this case is on the order of ten to the -21... so not likely, but hey, we did say POSSIBLE!

JellyPooga
2018-08-27, 10:58 AM
The question of whether you want the highest actual HP or whether you want the highest effective HP is an important one and it's a question that's influenced by the campaign and game style.

Abjurer and Warlock both offer reliable HP buffers, while Barbarian and Rogue offer tasty damage mitigators with Rage and Uncanny Dodge respectively. Evasion (Rogue, Monk) is also an ability to consider if AoE's are frequent in your game. The Paladins Lay on Hands or any Class with healing spells effectively have more HP over the course of a day, as well, which is something to consider, not to mention spells like Absorb Elements, Protection from Energy or even Shield Other.

dejarnjc
2018-08-27, 11:02 AM
You could get an epic boon for plus 40 HP

2018-08-27, 11:06 AM
The Berserker Axe gives an additional HP/level.

PhantomSoul
2018-08-27, 11:15 AM
Much less then 0.00?% apparently. (https://anydice.com/program/88b3)

3.130086 x 10-21 / 1, since 12 HP is guaranteed at first level. ( (1/12)^19 )

Yeah, not technically impossible, but if someone told me they rolled I'd be mighty suspicious!

Kadesh
2018-08-27, 11:20 AM
Hill Dwarf Frost Giant Soul Sorcerer 3/Cleric 17 with Inspiring Leader, Tough, and Tome of Con to 30 has average 322 can cast Aid as a 9th level spell for 24 hours for 362 HP, and the following Morning can cast Armour of Agathys as a 9th level spell for 45 Temp HP. They can cast Extended Warding Bond to Double that HP and Quicken Blade Ward in extended combats. Short Rests can give you 30 Temp HP on a short rest of you are running short of AoA Spell Slots.

They can start an adventuring day with 407 HP effectively, and can heal themselves.

Edit: maths might be off actually

100 from levels 8+80+12
3 Giant Soul
20 Hill Giant
Tough = 40
30 Con = 200
Aid = 40
AoA = 45 Temp

Of course, then you are getting into 20th level Moon Druids.

Unoriginal
2018-08-27, 11:28 AM
Kind of funny that mortal adventurers can actually reach Demon Princes/Archdevils level of health. Unlikely, but possible.

Alderic78
2018-08-27, 11:36 AM
Has anyone done the math for a moon druid yet?

PhantomSoul
2018-08-27, 11:37 AM

I tried for a level-20 Druid and got 8, but it fell over.

Kadesh
2018-08-27, 11:42 AM

Functionally Infinite. They can be beaten by Paralyzing them, or otherwise precenting them from acting once they are in human form.

leogobsin
2018-08-27, 11:48 AM

Thing about a moon druid is once you hit level 20 you basically stop having HP in the way that any other character does: unless enemies deal at least as much damage as your wildshape has HP in one round (or incapacitate you) all damage can just be reset by re-wildshaping as a bonus action. It's almost like you have regeneration or fast healing from previous editions.

Unoriginal
2018-08-27, 01:21 PM
You only have one bonus action per turn, though. And you can't use bonus actions out of turn.

Cerefel
2018-08-27, 01:32 PM
Yeah, essentially if you don't take enough damage to break through your wildshape form every round, you never really take damage

PhantomSoul
2018-08-27, 01:40 PM
I suppose you could even double up as a Moon Druid if you JUST want to tank:

Action. Ready: Wild Shape if I revert to my non-Wild Shaped form.
Bonus Action. Wild Shape if in non-Wild Shaped form.
Reaction. Wild Shape, if form reverted.