PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Wizard, dip or not, which subclass?

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 09:58 AM
So playing with Gnome Wizard build for fun.

BLUF: Forest (DE +1) or Rock (CO +1)? No interest in Deep Gnome (Flavor?) at this time.

2nd: Dip a level of Fighter for Heavy Armor or Cleric for Medium Armor and, in the case of Fighter CO saves?

Which options and why?

Maxilian
2018-08-27, 10:24 AM
Both are good options, if you really plan on using heavy armor, then the DEX bonus is less useful (If you really want Heavy Armor, have in mind that you will require your STR in 13 at least, and won't be able to use their best option), also if you want medium armor and shields, Dwarf is a good option (it give you prof in medium armor, lose the bonus INT though).

IMHO the 1 lvl Fighter is not really that useful.

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 10:31 AM
Just interested in most flavorful options for Gnome Wizard with or without dip. Mountain (not Hill) Dwarf Armor (light and Medium but no shield) is a favorite for my Dwarfs but I am only teasing out Gnome right now.

Crushgrip
2018-08-27, 10:35 AM
I am currently playing a rock Gnome Knowledge Cleric 1/Wizard 5 and I am loving it. I went with the rock gnome for the con as I went for Abjuration focus and the more hp the better. With the armor prof I was ok with making DEX my 3rd highest stat. Dipping fighter vs. cleric is all up to you and how you want to play. I think that for more versatility and support go Cleric. I have found that Bless and Inflict Wounds are incredible 1st level cleric spells that work amazing with a multi class Wiz...once you get a familiar you can have it deliver the touch range inflict wounds spell for 3d10+ necrotic damage from range! If you are thinking of going for more dps, then fighter may be the way to go. Tough not to want to get 2 levels of fighter for that action surge though, which will put you a full casting level behind.

Either way, have fun!

Nifft
2018-08-27, 10:48 AM
2nd: Dip a level of Fighter for Heavy Armor or Cleric for Medium Armor and, in the case of Fighter CO saves?

Which options and why?

Dipping into Fighter after level 1 will not get you Heavy armor.

Ironically, dipping into Cleric after level 1 can get you Heavy armor.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-08-27, 11:30 AM
Not in the direction you asked, but a Gnome School of Illusion Wizard dipping into Mastermind Rogue is a nice combo. Between all the illusion spells, plus the Mastermind's ability to mimic speech and disguise, it's a fun little interaction. Been wanting to play this one.

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 11:32 AM

Right. That as another typo 🙄 it should have been “2nd BLUF” but the “2nd” dropped off when correcting spelling of BLUF from Bluff.

Intention was Fighter or Cleric first Level than Wizard X.

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 11:33 AM
Not in the direction you asked, but a Gnome School of Illusion Wizard dipping into Mastermind Rogue is a nice combo. Between all the illusion spells, plus the Mastermind's ability to mimic speech and disguise, it's a fun little interaction. Been wanting to play this one.

That could Forest Gnome Fun Time quality play.

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 11:38 AM

Yes, did a human Wizard 2 then went Fighter 1 for Medium Armor since the other players alway left me in melee (which I always survived but still...) so I up-armored and then acquired a +1 Rapier in trade for another item nobody wanted from the adventure.

“Oooh, Fighter, Rogue, and Paladin... I did not know your eyes were green!”

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 11:41 AM
I am currently playing a rock Gnome Knowledge Cleric 1/Wizard 5 and I am loving it. I went with the rock gnome for the con as I went for Abjuration focus and the more hp the better. With the armor prof I was ok with making DEX my 3rd highest stat. Dipping fighter vs. cleric is all up to you and how you want to play. I think that for more versatility and support go Cleric. I have found that Bless and Inflict Wounds are incredible 1st level cleric spells that work amazing with a multi class Wiz...once you get a familiar you can have it deliver the touch range inflict wounds spell for 3d10+ necrotic damage from range! If you are thinking of going for more dps, then fighter may be the way to go. Tough not to want to get 2 levels of fighter for that action surge though, which will put you a full casting level behind.

Either way, have fun!

If I went Wizard/Fighter I would pick up Fighter Two after Wizard 5.

McSkrag
2018-08-27, 12:43 PM
Fighter is always a solid choice for CON save, armor, action surge. But for me, it lacks the flavor of other possibilities.

2 levels of Trickery Cleric will let you cast with Invoke Duplicity for fun and profit. And with Thaumaturgy you can make your gnomish voice boom at inappropriate moments to impress your friends.

MaxWilson
2018-08-27, 12:55 PM
So playing with Gnome Wizard build for fun.

BLUF: Forest (DE +1) or Rock (CO +1)? No interest in Deep Gnome (Flavor?) at this time.

Which options and why?

The first 5E character I ever played was an 8th level Gnome Enchanter. If I got to go back and do it again, I would far rather play a Gnome Fighter 1/Enchanter 7. Reason: I really, really wanted to use my Instinctive Charm and Hypnotic Gaze because they sounded like fun, but I was so squishy that I wound up avoiding melee as much as possible. AC 21 would have made a big difference, and I would be able to do fun stuff like enter melee and Dodge while my enemies killed each other trying to hurt me.

Caveat: I was also playing with a DM who was in love with inflicting permanent HP drain in melee (basically any necrotic damage was ruled to be permanent, and there were lots of undead) so it's possible you might be less gun-shy than I was even with a pure Enchanter. I still think having AC 21 instead of 14ish would have been super nice though.

Maxilian
2018-08-27, 01:55 PM
If I went Wizard/Fighter I would pick up Fighter Two after Wizard 5.

Wouldnt it be better to just go Rogue 2 instead then? it gives you more things, like the ability to easy leave the enemy range without forcing yourself to be attacked or lose your action, or the ability to just not be a target (bonus action hide at the end of your turn)

CTurbo
2018-08-27, 02:09 PM
Deep Gnome Abjurer with Knowledge Cleric dip for Mdium armor, shields, and more Abjur spells

ZorroGames
2018-08-27, 02:33 PM
Deep Gnome Abjurer with Knowledge Cleric dip for Mdium armor, shields, and more Abjur spells

Nope. As said in OP, Deep Gnomes (just bore me so) not an option.

Vogie
2018-08-27, 02:36 PM

Because the OP is playing AL, I believe they're referring to the ability to move your levels around prior to level 5. So if you were a Wizard 2, then picked up a level in Fighter, you could then rearrange your levels to be a Fighter 1/ Wizard 2 instead of the other way around.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-27, 03:44 PM
I play a Deep Gnome pure Wizard illusionist (level 7 currently) and haven't been disappointed. If I hadn't gone Deep Gnome I'd have gone forest, so that's my recommendation. Flavorwise I've loved playing him as a pure Wizard, so that's definitely a fulfilling option if you're interested. That being said, there's a potential he might multiclass one or two levels into Cleric for story reasons. He doesn't have a ton of reverence for the gods, viewing them more like powerful wizards, but he just got saved by one so he could be persuaded to look more into that. We'll see. But I wouldn't give up being a full-caster in hopes of optimizing personally. I also don't think it's as interesting to me unless you're a Bladesinger. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Gnome wizards are classic.

ZorroGames
2018-08-29, 09:05 AM
I play a Deep Gnome pure Wizard illusionist (level 7 currently) and haven't been disappointed. If I hadn't gone Deep Gnome I'd have gone forest, so that's my recommendation. Flavorwise I've loved playing him as a pure Wizard, so that's definitely a fulfilling option if you're interested. That being said, there's a potential he might multiclass one or two levels into Cleric for story reasons. He doesn't have a ton of reverence for the gods, viewing them more like powerful wizards, but he just got saved by one so he could be persuaded to look more into that. We'll see. But I wouldn't give up being a full-caster in hopes of optimizing personally. I also don't think it's as interesting to me unless you're a Bladesinger. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Gnome wizards are classic.

And the look on some players when you introduce a Gnome into the party is classic.