PDA

View Full Version : For those who have seen 'The Wicker Man', a DnD question.

Prustan
2007-09-14, 02:40 AM
Saw 'The Wicker Man' last night, and was thinking about this question most of today: Which core classes/PRCs would be able to survive the trap, and how would they do it? Assume ECL 12 (father/mother met at level 1 or 2, father levelled once per year since, been around ten years).
I personally think a Fighter is screwed - too many people.
Ditto Rogue, unless said rogue has enough Shadowdancer levels to Shadowjump away.

lord_khaine
2007-09-14, 04:40 AM
for a start all full caster classes should be able to walk right out of it.

nagora
2007-09-14, 05:41 AM
Saw 'The Wicker Man' last night, and was thinking about this question most of today: Which core classes/PRCs would be able to survive the trap, and how would they do it? Assume ECL 12 (father/mother met at level 1 or 2, father levelled once per year since, been around ten years).
I personally think a Fighter is screwed - too many people.
Ditto Rogue, unless said rogue has enough Shadowdancer levels to Shadowjump away.

Which version of the Wicker Man? The original or the feeble American version?

Prustan
2007-09-14, 06:33 AM
Probably the 'feeble American version' with Nicholas Cage.

And as far as the full casters are concerned, only if their spell components haven't been taken/neutralized, and only if they have the right spells.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-14, 09:21 AM
I'm assuming this is the Fiend Folio one, that deals 6d6 a round to encaged foes if burning(no damage to caged foes otherwise).

Half-Red Dragon, or the like? Basically anything with the Fire Subtype, Fire Immunity, or Fire Resistance of 20 or greater(coupled with a little Fast Healing) won't be affected. Alternately, if encaged and burning, one should bring in one of those Endless Decanters to flood the area and put it out.

bosssmiley
2007-09-14, 12:54 PM
Which version of the Wicker Man? The original or the feeble American version?

Just like "Get Carter" and "The Italian Job" there is no remake of "The Wicker Man". No remake! It does not exist. Got it? Good. :smallwink:

As for escaping the trap a low-mid level {fire}type Dragon Shaman (PHB2) would laugh at it. Ditto any Batman wizard.
Sorcs and Warlocks would chortle evilly and go nova.
Druid? Resist Elements. Call lightning. Spam SNA at the survivors. Go Bear, burst bars, chew off faces ??? Profit!
Cleric? Divine power, Bulls Strength, burst bars, Summons. Heathen slugging goodness-a-go-go.
Fighter types - Strength check to burst the bars and then whomp on the yokels with some of the chunkier burning brands. The Improvised Weapon TH penalty would be so worth it. :smallcool:
Rogues - Evasion. :smallwink:

Wraith
2007-09-14, 01:48 PM
Assassin might work, along with anyone who had Hide in Plain Sight:

High Priest: "Alright everyone, stand back while I light the fir-... Wait, where has the prisoner gone? Oh no! He's Escaped! Quickly, everyone start running away to look for him!"
Assassin: *waits for 10 minutes until no one is left, and then simply picks the locks, Hides again and walks away*

Also... Shadowmancer? There's BOUND to be a few shadows inside the cage, at least before they light the fire.

There is, of course, the "low-tech" way out of this trap. Take a Dwarf Barbarian, dump as many stats as possible in exchange for CON (especially CHA - he isn't going to be pretty by the end of this!), with the Toughness feat, add 15 or 16 good Hit Rolls every level until 20 and a couple of healing potions, then just sit it out while hoping for low damage rolls.

C'mon... getting set on fire is only 1d6 per round after all. In theory he could just sit there for half an hour and then walk out through the badly charred bits at the bottom of the cage with hardly any resistence. :smallbiggrin:

Serenity
2007-09-14, 03:27 PM
I don't doubt the remake is bad. But Christopher Lee aside, I don't think they had good material to work with in the first place.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-14, 03:36 PM
I don't doubt the remake is bad. But Christopher Lee aside, I don't think they had good material to work with in the first place.

Blasphemy!

WhiteHarness
2007-09-14, 04:39 PM
Blasphemy!

No it isn't. Both movies were terrible, and the concept stinks to high heavens.

Prustan
2007-09-14, 05:07 PM
I did say CORE classes/PRCs right? Meaning PHB, DMG and MM only (though there aren't any PC classes in MM). And the main problem with the fighting types is that they'd get overwhelmed - too many people closing in too quickly to get a proper swing.

Driderman
2007-09-14, 05:21 PM
So, since this is inspired by the movie(s), which classes could handle that trap with their legs broken?

Prustan
2007-09-15, 06:11 AM
Um, should have been a little more clear :smallredface: . I was actually after which classes would be able to get out of the middle of the crowd before being put into the Wicker Man, or which classes would be able to escape with broken legs after being put into it.

Ecalsneerg
2007-09-15, 07:11 AM
A monk might manage. If he's a high enough strength to break out, he could slow fall down, and despite being unarmed can fight his way through.

Yes, a monk may have use :P