PDA

View Full Version : What are your suggestions for spells for a Rogue with Ritual Caster?

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-27, 11:04 AM
Starting up a Rogue at level 1 that's a variant human with Ritual Caster (for background reasons). He will eventually go into Arcane Trickster.

My DM has given the go-ahead for Comprehend Languages to be used while using the senses of a familiar, so I'm thinking both Find Familiar and Comprehend Languages, but there's a few other good choices for Ritual spells.

My Rogue is going to have a high intelligence, so Wizard will likely be his ritual spell choices, but I will consider anything with good justification. He will be an investigative, tinkering type with a mischievous weakness for a challenge.

What do you suggest?

JackPhoenix
2018-08-27, 11:36 AM
Find Familiar is pretty much given. Too much utility to ignore.

Illusory Script may work for a spy-type character. Comprehend Language may be useful for the same purpose, but it's very campaign-dependant.
Detect Magic could be useful, especially if you can also use it through your familiar
Tenser's Floating Disc to haul loot

Unseen Servant is somewhat redundant with familiar, but it's invisible, which may be an advantage to a rogue... but you'll have Mage Hand from AT.
Alarm could be of some use for a rogue, but it's mostly used against them.

Speak With Animals could be useful, but that would require you to go with bard or druid instead of a wizard, and prevents you from taking familiar, but you may pick a familiar with AT, if you really want to.

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-27, 11:47 AM
I thought the same things. Thank you for confirming that. I didn't think about detect magic with a familiar. I doubt my DM would let that fly, but I'll double check. I'll also look into abstract languages, both valid points.

What are some recommendations for later levels?

solidork
2018-08-27, 12:04 PM
My AT with ritual caster picked Identify and Find Familiar when he took the feat, and then picked a scroll of Alarm as an early quest reward. Eventually we got access to a Wizards library as a quest reward and I copied all of the rituals I could get and ended up using most of them at least once. Leomund's Tiny Hut is amazing once you can get it. I'm not a fan of Phantom Steed.

I actually found a pretty good use for Magic Mouth: cast it on your bag and make it yell out a warning if anyone other than you tries to take something out of it.

BoxANT
2018-08-27, 12:08 PM
Find Familiar & Detect Magic are solid. I would also recommend picking up Alarm & Comprehend Languages when you can, they're situational but provide solid utility.

What are some recommendations for later levels?

2nd) Gentle Repose can save a life.
3rd) Leomund's Tiny Hut, Phantom Steed, Water Breathing, all very useful.
5th) Rary's Telepathic Bond, amazing for stealthy missions (and social).

BoxANT
2018-08-27, 12:10 PM
I actually found a pretty good use for Magic Mouth: cast it on your bag and make it yell out a warning if anyone other than you tries to take something out of it.

ha! I like it

McSkrag
2018-08-27, 12:15 PM
Water Breathing
For when your crush is stuck at the bottom of the lake but your awkward friend is hoarding the gillyweed.

Leomund's Tiny Hut
Nothing beats The Hut when you're feeling nappy because you ate too much mutton and mead for lunch but you're stuck in a blizzard.

Telepathic Bond
For those Mission Impossibles.