PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the Fire Sorclock

Mr.Kraken
2018-08-27, 11:57 AM
Hello, everyone. I've cooked up a build for a character I'll use in a few weeks. He's a Tiefling (Zariel) Warlock (Hexblade) 4/Sorcerer (Dragon) 6. My goal with the character is to be a frontline attacker, being able to cause as much fire damage as possible, be it with blasting spells, or through Green Flame Blade.

Hexblade Warlock gives me pact weapon, charisma to attack and damage, proficiency bonus to damage, improved pact weapon and maybe eldritch smite. Dragon Sorcerer gives me more HP and Charisma modifier as bonus damage to fire spells. We have a bonus feat at 1st level, with which I took Elemental Mastery. At 4th, I took Great Weapon Master and at 8th Flames of Phlegethos.

Stats will be rolled, but I went with the assumption I'll get a 20 on CHA. With that, I would be causing 2d6+19+1d8+5 (+smite) also causing 1d8+10 to another creature at 5ft, being able to reroll 1s or considering them as 2s, dealing 1d4 fire damage to anyone who strikes me at melee, ignoring fire resistance and using quickened spell to do the same attack again.

It seems effective to me, especially if you consider that this is merely one cantrip. What do you think?

CTurbo
2018-08-27, 12:25 PM
Fire Sorlocks are great, but I'm not so sure about a melee focused one. I'm sure it would work though.

Fiend is more thematic, and you should check out the Pheonix Sorcerer for even more fire focused features.

Elemental Adept is a must for any fire based build so great choice there.

Vogie
2018-08-27, 12:29 PM
Celestial Warlock 6 gives you the "Agonizing Blast" effect (+Cha to damage) to all fire & radiant spells... It won't give you the armor & shield proficiencies or expanded crit range, though.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-08-27, 05:17 PM
You'd get more fire spells by going with the Fiend Pact, but it's a bit MAD. My advice would be to see what kind of ability scores you roll and then decide. If you've got several good rolls you'll need for Str, Con, and Cha, go Fiend. If you've only got one high roll, put it in Charisma, choose the Hexblade and never look back.

CTurbo
2018-08-28, 03:04 AM
I had a player play a Red Draconic Fiend Tiefling Sorlock before Hexblade and Phoenix existed and it was a great character. He rolled good but not silly good stats so he could focus on feats mostly with his ASIs so he took Elemental Adept at level 4. He did NOT take Eldritch Blast or any of it's invocations since it was mainly redundant with his Draconic 6th level ability.

Mr.Kraken
2018-08-28, 05:16 AM
I had a player play a Red Draconic Fiend Tiefling Sorlock before Hexblade and Phoenix existed and it was a great character. He rolled good but not silly good stats so he could focus on feats mostly with his ASIs so he took Elemental Adept at level 4. He did NOT take Eldritch Blast or any of it's invocations since it was mainly redundant with his Draconic 6th level ability.

If only there was a force-based draconic bloodline for sorcerers...

ErHo
2018-08-28, 09:51 AM
Bring back gem dragons for Force powers?

samcifer
2018-08-28, 09:19 PM
Fire Sorlocks are great, but I'm not so sure about a melee focused one. I'm sure it would work though.

Fiend is more thematic, and you should check out the Pheonix Sorcerer for even more fire focused features.

Elemental Adept is a must for any fire based build so great choice there.

As someone who played a hexblade sorc himself, I'd like to suggest that you make constitution your second highest stat after charisma to compensate for the low hp gains from your sorc levels. The Tough feet would also be a good idea for bolstering your hp. Con saves are the most important for spellcasters, especially melee ones, so make sorc your first level to get proficiency in con saves. Shield is an important defensive spell and make sure to get a physical shield as well at hb lv. 1. Also see if you can talk your dm into letting you acquire Spiked Armor (see the Barbarian class entry in SCAG) and have (or get up to) 14 DEX. With that, the shield and spiked armor your ac will be 18 (23 with the shield spell as well), which is as good as a spellcaster can get without heavy armor. As for level progression, I recommend getting to lv. 5 in sorc asap for those powerful lv. 5 spell, then take a level of hexblade. If not, only take one level of hb, then go back to it later after after you hit sorc 5 (trust me, I HATED not having Fireball sooner!)