PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help build Horizon walker/hexblade

OzDragon
2018-08-27, 12:56 PM
Hello there I have a concept that I want to make for the next game starting this Saturday. We use standard point buy. He will either be half elf or human.

Little backstory. He is/was part of an organization that hunts criminals that change planes to avoid capture/justice. On his first mission he is lost in the Astral Sea. While lost and about to die from exposure he is approached by the Raven Queen and given a chance at life in exchange for his memories. This will leave him on a plane that is not his own with no memories and only his skills to his name.

He will be a ranged bow wielder( yes i understand EB should be better) So level 1 will be ranger 2 will be warlock. I would like opinions on what to do from there. should i just continue with ranger for the rest. should i just go 3 levels of ranger for horizon walker. what are your thoughts on how to build this character?

Thanks in advance

Vogie
2018-08-27, 02:52 PM
I like this.

You'd probably get the most damage for your buck by going up the Ranger tree first, getting your HW bonus and extra attack (at Ranger 5/total 6), before getting more warlock levels.

Once you have Ranger 5, go up the warlock tree to 3 - this will give you pact of the Blade, and improved pact weapon invocation, allowing you to use & Store your +1 pact bow in an extradimensional space, as well as use it as a spellcasting focus.

Because you chose blade pact, you can choose to either have your bow key off of Dex OR Cha, but since you're a ranger, and won't be able to use that feature until character level 8 (Ranger 5, Warlock 3), you will likely be still be a Dex-based character... but having SR spell slots for Hex, Shield, & the like will be a boon.

You can use the other invocation slot for Devil's sight (for the darkness combo) or Armor of Shadows (only if you go full dex, for 13+ Dex armor... skip if you're planning on wearing medium armor), or something else that falls within your character's pact with the RQ.

I'd expect you'd go the rest of the way up the HW tree, unless you want to throw 2 more levels at warlock for Eldritch Smite - you don't HAVE to knock the target prone at range, but sometimes that's more fun, especially if the target is trying to fly away.

devildham
2018-08-27, 05:07 PM
yes i understand EB should be better

Cool build concept.

Don't worry about it, you can always re-flavor the bolts into "Eldritch Arrows" and fire them from the bow. You'd be like the archer from the 80's cartoon.

OzDragon
2018-08-27, 08:27 PM
I like this.

Because you chose blade pact, you can choose to either have your bow key off of Dex OR Cha, but since you're a ranger, and won't be able to use that feature until character level 8 (Ranger 5, Warlock 3), you will likely be still be a Dex-based character... but having SR spell slots for Hex, Shield, & the like will be a boon.

first thanks!

Doesn't hexblade get cha to attack at 1st level?

Throne12
2018-08-27, 09:50 PM
first thanks!

Not on range weapons.

Throne12
2018-08-27, 09:51 PM
Are you just looking for the horizon Walker flavor or is the HZ abilities you want cause going full hexblade could be better.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-27, 09:53 PM
first thanks!

A hexblade weapon (at level 1 if you take hexblade) gets Cha to attack, but can only be a melee weapon without the two handed property. (The rules didn't seem clear to me that you can't use a one handed missile weapon, but Sage Advice clarified that you can't. https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/01/07/can-a-warlocks-bond-with-a-bow-for-their-pact-weapon/)

A pact of the blade pact weapon (at level 3 if you take blade pact) can be any weapon, including missile weapons and two handed weapons, but doesn't get to use Cha to attack.

If you take hexblade at level 1 AND pact of the blade at level 3, they stack, and you get to create or adopt any weapon, and use Cha as your attack state.

Throne12
2018-08-27, 09:56 PM
A hexblade weapon (at level 1 if you take hexblade) gets Cha to attack, but can only be a melee weapon without the two handed property. (The rules didn't seem clear to me that you can't use a one handed missile weapon, but Sage Advice clarified that you can't. https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/01/07/can-a-warlocks-bond-with-a-bow-for-their-pact-weapon/)

A pact of the blade pact weapon (at level 3 if you take blade pact) can be any weapon, including missile weapons and two handed weapons, but doesn't get to use Cha to attack.

If you take hexblade at level 1 AND pact of the blade at level 3, they stack, and you get to create or adopt any weapon, and use Cha as your attack state.

Not any weapon you use hand crossbows. It calls out short and long bows and heavy and light crossbows. If you want a hand crossbow you need to get a magical one first then you can.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-28, 06:31 AM
Yeah, looking back at RAW:

- A hexblade's designated weapon with the Hex Warrior feature just needs to be one she has proficiency in and which lacks the two weapon feature.

- A Pact Weapon at level 3 needs to be a melee weapon if the Warlock conjures it (but it can be two-handed), or can be a missile weapon if the Warlock designates a magic bow, crossbow, etc. as the pact weapon. (See Sage Advice Compendium). The warlock can't use CHA to attack with a Pact Weapon unless she has the Hexblade patron.

- If the Warlock takes the Improved Pact Weapon invocation, a created pact weapon can be a bow or crossbow (hand crossbow isn't specifically listed, but I'd allow that too as RAI).

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 07:06 AM
Not on range weapons.

Hex Warrior. Any weapon you are proficient with that does not have the two handed property can us CHA to attack and damage.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 07:12 AM
Yeah, looking back at RAW:

- A hexblade's designated weapon with the Hex Warrior feature just needs to be one she has proficiency in and which lacks the two weapon feature.

- A Pact Weapon at level 3 needs to be a melee weapon if the Warlock conjures it (but it can be two-handed), or can be a missile weapon if the Warlock designates a magic bow, crossbow, etc. as the pact weapon. (See Sage Advice Compendium). The warlock can't use CHA to attack with a Pact Weapon unless she has the Hexblade patron.

- If the Warlock takes the Improved Pact Weapon invocation, a created pact weapon can be a bow or crossbow (hand crossbow isn't specifically listed, but I'd allow that too as RAI).

You don't need Improved Pact Weapon.

Hex Warrior: If you later gain the pact of the blade feature, this benefits to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapons type.

With this feature and Blade pact you can have any weapon be your pact weapon.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/11/17/does-this-mean-that-if-you-have-pact-of-the-blade-you-can-use-the-hex-warrior-feature-with-a-two-handed-weapon/

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 07:17 AM
Are you just looking for the horizon Walker flavor or is the HZ abilities you want cause going full hexblade could be better.

No the characters backstory is Horizon Walker. He may be level 2 but his order/job is Horizon Walker.

Vogie
2018-08-28, 08:08 AM
Not on range weapons.

Technically, you can use a ranged weapon - as long as it doesn't have a one-handed property. That just leaves you only Slings, Hand crossbows and blowguns

You don't need Improved Pact Weapon.

Hex Warrior: If you later gain the pact of the blade feature, this benefits to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapons type.

With this feature and Blade pact you can have any weapon be your pact weapon.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/11/17/does-this-mean-that-if-you-have-pact-of-the-blade-you-can-use-the-hex-warrior-feature-with-a-two-handed-weapon/

If you find a MAGIC crossbow, you can go through the ritual to make it a pact weapon:

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon
They specifically allowed the base vanilla warlock to use ANY weapon, even one a warlock wasn't able to normally use, through the pact blade ritual, provided it was a magic one.

You DO need Improved pact weapon to CONJURE a bow or crossbow from nothing. You'd only need it until you find a magic bow (and if you want your pact weapons to act as arcane foci), and then can swap it out the next time you level up in warlock.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 09:59 AM
Technically, you can use a ranged weapon - as long as it doesn't have a one-handed property. That just leaves you only Slings, Hand crossbows and blowguns

If you find a MAGIC crossbow, you can go through the ritual to make it a pact weapon:

They specifically allowed the base vanilla warlock to use ANY weapon, even one a warlock wasn't able to normally use, through the pact blade ritual, provided it was a magic one.

You DO need Improved pact weapon to CONJURE a bow or crossbow from nothing. You'd only need it until you find a magic bow (and if you want your pact weapons to act as arcane foci), and then can swap it out the next time you level up in warlock.

Please tell me where a bow needs to be magical to be a pact weapon. No where in Xanathars or the PHB does this restriction come up. If you are speaking specifically about hand crossbows its not a problem cause I'm not using one nor did I say I was going to.

On Imp Pact weapon, No you don't please reread Hex Warrior. It states that any weapon you use for your hex warrior feature can be your pact weapon. Which when you gain the Pact blade feature includes two handed weapons.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-28, 10:06 AM
Please tell me where a bow needs to be magical to be a pact weapon.

Remember that a hex warrior weapon and a pact weapon aren't the same thing. From the pact weapon text in the PH:

Pact of the Blade
You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage. Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon.

So under RAW, a created pact weapon has to be a melee weapon, but any existing magic weapon can be transformed into a pact weapon, including missile weapons. Sage Advice has confirmed that's the intended result. (See link upthread.)

where in Xanathars or the PHB does this restriction come up. If you are speaking specifically about hand crossbows its not a problem cause I'm not using one nor did I say I was going to.

On Imp Pact weapon, No you don't please reread Hex Warrior. It states that any weapon you use for your hex warrior feature can be your pact weapon.

Hex Warrior doesn't say that - it says that if you have Hex Warrior, then your Pact Weapon also uses CHA as an attack stat, but it doesn't say that they're the same.

You can actually make a two weapon fighting bladelock by taking Hexblade and Blade Pact, then designating one weapon as your Hex Warrior weapon and one as your Pact Weapon, giving you two CHA weapons you can use simultaneously.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 10:13 AM
Remember that a hex warrior weapon and a pact weapon aren't the same thing. From the pact weapon text in the PH:

So under RAW, a conjured pact weapon has to be a melee weapon, but any existing magic weapon can be transformed into a non-conjured pact weapon, including missile weapons. Sage Advice has confirmed that's the intended result. (See link upthread.)

Hex warrior was made to break this restriction. Please read it again. Hex warrior makes ALL weapons able to be a Pact blade per the Sage advice.

Hello @JeremyECrawford! Does this line from the Hexblade mean that if you have Pact of the Blade you can use the Hex Warrior feature with a two-handed weapon and get your Cha mod to attack and damage rolls? Thanks! pic.twitter.com/cGFVkRMrgx November 9, 2017

When we wrote “every pact weapon” in Hex Warrior, we really meant every pact weapon. #DnD https://t.co/uBVoACsNyg
— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford

Not sure how to make that any clearer than it already is… Sometimes people can't believe a game feature is as generous as it is. Their questions are often a way of saying, "This is awesome! Is it OK that it's awesome?" 😀
— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford)

Does that mean if you bond with a magical bow, like a +2 Longbow or something, you can use your Charisma modifier for the attack and damage rolls?"Every" really means every.

The important part is in bold here.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-28, 10:14 AM
Sorry, I updated my response, and addressed this point. :) I think that "no matter the weapons type" means that two handed Pact Weapons get to use CHA when wielded by a Hexblade, not that it lifts the restriction on conjuring missile weapons if you don't have Improved Pact Weapon.

Can you link the Sage Advice you have in mind?

Vogie
2018-08-28, 10:20 AM
Please tell me where a bow needs to be magical to be a pact weapon. No where in Xanathars or the PHB does this restriction come up. If you are speaking specifically about hand crossbows its not a problem cause I'm not using one nor did I say I was going to.

On Imp Pact weapon, No you don't please reread Hex Warrior. It states that any weapon you use for your hex warrior feature can be your pact weapon.

Sure...

Emphasis mine, from the PHB:

Pact of the Blade

You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks

PHB states explicitly that you can:

create a melee weapon, AND
transform one magic weapon (with no restriction) into your pact weapon.
Thus, you COULD get a pact ranged weapon... but you had to find the magic one first. This is further clarified by JC in a Sage Advice as intentional.

Next, in XGtE:

Hex Warrior
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.

Additionally, whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your charisma modifier, instead of strength or dexterity, for the attack or damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature no matter the weapon's type

This is important, because it indicates you cannot use any weapon with the 2 handed property.
For reference:

Simple Ranged Weapons
Crossbow, light 25 gp 1d8 piercing 5 lb. Ammunition (range 80/320), loading, two-handed
Dart 5 cp 1d4 piercing 1/4 lb. Finesse, thrown (range 20/60)
Shortbow 25 gp 1d6 piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed
Sling 1 sp 1d4 bludgeoning — Ammunition (range 30/120)
Martial Ranged Weapons
Blowgun 10 gp 1 piercing 1 lb. Ammunition (range 25/100), loading
Crossbow, hand 75 gp 1d6 piercing 3 lb. Ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading
Crossbow, heavy 50 gp 1d10 piercing 18 lb. Ammunition (range 100/400), heavy, loading, two-handed
Longbow 50 gp 1d8 piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed

And lastly, back in XGtE...

Improved Pact Weapon
Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature
You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spell. In addition, the weapon gains a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bouns to those rolls. Finally, the weapon you conjure can be a shortbow, longbow, light crossbow, or heavy crossbow.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I updated my response, and addressed this point. :) I think that "no matter the weapons type" means that two handed Pact Weapons get to use CHA when wielded by a Hexblade, not that it lifts the restriction on conjuring missile weapons if you don't have Improved Pact Weapon.

Can you link the Sage Advice you have in mind?

Please see edited post above.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 10:25 AM
Sure...

Emphasis mine, from the PHB:

PHB states explicitly that you can:

create a melee weapon, AND
transform one magic weapon (with no restriction) into your pact weapon.
Thus, you COULD get a pact ranged weapon... but you had to find the magic one first. This is further clarified by JC in a Sage Advice as intentional.

Next, in XGtE:

This is important, because it indicates you cannot use any weapon with the 2 handed property.
For reference:

And lastly, back in XGtE...

I'm sorry i was speaking specifically about Hex warrior in conjunction with Pact Blade. please see my previous post with sage advice.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-28, 10:32 AM
I think that Sage Advice and RAW support my conclusion.

1) Hexblade Warrior says
- one non two handed weapon gets CHA to attack
- any Pact of the Blade weapon gets CHA to attack

2) Pact of the Blade says
- You can conjure any melee weapon as a Pact Weapon, or
- You can transform any magic weapon into a Pact Weapon

3) Sage Advice says that means that for a Hexblade,
- A conjured two handed Pact Weapon uses CHA, AND
- A transformed magic bow uses CHA

Neither RAW nor Sage Advice say that Hexblade lifts the conjuring restriction, IMHO.

Vogie
2018-08-28, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry i was speaking specifically about Hex warrior in conjunction with Pact Blade. please see my previous post with sage advice.
Yeah, That's why I posted the actual text. They're in quotes.

Does that mean if you bond with a magical bow, like a +2 Longbow or something, you can use your Charisma modifier for the attack and damage rolls?"Every" really means every.

You bolded the wrong part.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 10:37 AM
Yeah, That's why I posted the actual text. They're in quotes.

You bolded the wrong part.

Please read then click the link on this... When we wrote “every pact weapon” in Hex Warrior, we really meant every pact weapon. #DnD https://t.co/uBVoACsNyg

Hex warrior says any weapon you are proficient with can use other than two handed weapons. Pact of the blade allows the use of two handed weapons. Hex warrior at that point allows any and all weapons you are proficient with to gain charisma to attack and damage.

Vogie
2018-08-28, 10:44 AM
Please read then click the link on this... When we wrote “every pact weapon” in Hex Warrior, we really meant every pact weapon. #DnD https://t.co/uBVoACsNyg

I know. And pact weapons are either

Melee (PHB)
Transformed magic weapons (PHB)
shortbow, longbow, light crossbow, or heavy crossbow (XGtE, via invocation)

I think you're missing the word PACT. They said every pact weapon... not every weapon.

I've already given you the words directly from the books.
Go look at your own books to corroborate.

Pact of the blade allows the use of two handed weapons

Two handed MELEE weapons. Bold and highlighted in my previous post.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-28, 10:47 AM
That's the disagreement - I don't think you're right, but I don't think we're going to convince each other unless one of us writes in to Sage Advice.

You think that when the PH writes

If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type.
and Sage Advice writes:

When we wrote “every pact weapon” in Hex Warrior, we really meant every pact weapon.
and

"Every" really means every.
that means that a Hexblade blade pact warlock can conjure every weapon. Vogie and I think it means every weapon that is legal to be a Pact Blade gets to attack with CHA. I think we're stuck there unless Sage Advice clarifies.

OzDragon
2018-08-28, 10:50 AM
I understand your points we shall continue to disagree on interpretation.

I was only asking for build advice and this turned into a rules discussion mostly my fault here.

I guess I'll come up with a different character.

Thanks.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-28, 10:53 AM
Oh, if you like your build, you should definitely ask your DM if he or she will allow it. I absolutely would. :)

Vogie
2018-08-28, 10:56 AM
disagree on interpretation.

There is no interpretation - we're all talking RAW here.
You have a fantastic concept for a character, albeit a bit MAD, but still really cool.

I just don't want you to walk into AL (or a RAW DM) with a character that doesn't work by RAW.

Zanthy1
2018-08-28, 11:10 AM
I'd build it like this:

Ranger 1
Warlock 1, 2, 3
Ranger x

This way you get your hexblade features and invocations (definitely worth getting regardless of the outcome of the above debate). In this respect, by level 4 you have a +1 magic weapon, which can always be replaced by something better if it comes along. The continue your horizon walker stuff

tieren
2018-08-28, 11:42 AM
I would want to get to 5 in each class as soon as I could, prioritizing ranger first to get the extra attack.

With the expanded spell list and bonus spells, that would get you to blink and misty step which would totally rock on this teleporting mad house.

Then I would want to get to Horizon Walker 9 for Haste (and ethereal step), then run warlock the rest of the way; armor of hexes at hexblade 10 can totally be fluffed as a teleporting power.

So with where you wanted to start I would build:
Ranger 1
Warlock 1
Ranger 4
Warlock 4
Ranger 4
Warlock 6

Personally I would skip the archery component altogether and build this baby for shortswords on a tiefling and name him nightcrawler.

8wGremlin
2018-08-28, 02:59 PM
Not on range weapons.
hand crossbow says hello!

I currently play a hexblade hand crossbow, vhuman with crossbow mastery feat, to get 2 attacks a round at 1st level
I either hex or curse the target on first round, then shoot for 2d6+3 for every shot.
at next feat I get Sharpshooter

NiklasWB
2018-08-31, 06:25 AM
I’m going to hijack this thread to get some help since I’ve been toying with a build that is similar to OP’s idea.

I’ve been wanting to create a concept for a while, but it wasn’t until Xanathar’s came out that I think it was feasible. The concept is a teleporting spellsword that uses a single longsword and makes use of force damage dealing cantrip to be an effective and mobile switch hitter. It is also a plus if he has ties to the Feywild and/or Shadowfell. I think he might be a star elf half-elf in the Forgotten Realms, so the planar/fey aspect will probably play heavily into his backstory and hopefully into future quests.

After thinking about using either Bladesinger, Eldritch Blast, Bladelock, or different multiclass combinations between these classes, I always ended up abandoning the idea since it becomes a bit too MAD or doesn’t really capture the concept I was looking for.

Enter Xanathar’s and the Horizon Walker and Hexblade. While I initially hated the Hexblade for how front loaded it was, I’ve warmed up to it because it allows for some different builds that would otherwise be impossible without gimping oneself. For example, going for Warlock and Ranger would normally be a bad idea, since you need CHA, DEX, WIS, CON and maybe even STR, but I think that a combination of Horizon Walker and Hexblade might actually be what I’ve been looking for both in terms of Fluff and Crunch.

So, to the build:

Half Elf, standard point buy, +1 DEX and +1 WIS

STR: 9
DEX: 14
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 16

This should give me a respectable AC of 18 with Half Plate and Defensive Fighting Style. As soon as a I get Hex Warrior at Warlock level 1 I will also be able to ignore DEX going forward and focus on CHA. I know I should probably use a shield for +2 AC, but I just don’t see him using a shield conceptually. I’ll probably stick to longsword only, and maybe go up to Greatsword once I take Pact of the Blade (I think that should work, right?). That depends on what kind of magic items the DM gives us though.

I’ll probably start off as a Ranger (extra skill and I see the character as a ranger first and a magic wielder second). After that I should probably go Warlock Hexblade right at 2nd level, so I can use the CHA for attacks and damage and pick up Eldritch Blast.

The question then becomes if I should rush Ranger level 5 at 6th level, or throw in Warlock level 2 for Antagonizing Blast but delay Ranger level 5 to 7th level. I don’t want to delay the Ranger or ASI progression too much, but a 2 level dip should be acceptable.

I’ll be going a minimum of 11 levels in Horizon Walker for the Distant Strike feature (basically the coolest skill ever and a big part of the character concept), but I’m not sure if I should go further into ranger or go further into Warlock. The 6th level Hexblade feature doesn’t interest me since it doesn’t really fit the character concept. So a 15 Ranger / 5 Warlock multiclass might be just right.

I really only need Antagonizing Blast and Eldritch Smite as invocations as well. So at level 5 I should have these and one extra, which might be something more flavorful like Beguiling Influence (to simulate his Fey connection), or Repelling Blast (to enhance his connection to force-damage). Improved Pact Weapon seems tempting, but I’m pretty sure he will eventually get a +1 weapon, and the I’ve wasted and invocation.

Warlock spells will probably be things like Misty Step (obviously), Charm Person, Invisibility, Darkness, Mirror Image, Suggestion, Counterspell, Dispell Magic, Hypnotic Pattern. Haven’t really decided on the exact flavor yet. I will probably also use a lot of the spell slots for Eldritch Smite.

Ranger spells will be Misty Step (doubling down), Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud, Pass without Trace, Silence. I don’t think I’ll use Hunter’s Mark much since I have two things that require bonus actions (Planar Warrior and Hexblade's Curse). So I would need 3 rounds to get to Hunter’s Mark…

Btw, if I know Misty Step from the Horizon Walker, do I have to take it for Warlock as well? Or can I simply use a Warlock spell slot but use it for the Misty Step I know from being a Ranger?

So that’s basically it. What do you guys think? Is it viable?

Vogie
2018-08-31, 07:47 AM
Half Elf, standard point buy, +1 DEX and +1 WIS

STR: 9
DEX: 14
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 16

This should give me a respectable AC of 18 with Half Plate and Defensive Fighting Style. As soon as a I get Hex Warrior at Warlock level 1 I will also be able to ignore DEX going forward and focus on CHA. I know I should probably use a shield for +2 AC, but I just don’t see him using a shield conceptually. I’ll probably stick to longsword only, and maybe go up to Greatsword once I take Pact of the Blade (I think that should work, right?). That depends on what kind of magic items the DM gives us though.

I’ll probably start off as a Ranger (extra skill and I see the character as a ranger first and a magic wielder second). After that I should probably go Warlock Hexblade right at 2nd level, so I can use the CHA for attacks and damage and pick up Eldritch Blast.

The question then becomes if I should rush Ranger level 5 at 6th level, or throw in Warlock level 2 for Antagonizing Blast but delay Ranger level 5 to 7th level. I don’t want to delay the Ranger or ASI progression too much, but a 2 level dip should be acceptable.

I’ll be going a minimum of 11 levels in Horizon Walker for the Distant Strike feature (basically the coolest skill ever and a big part of the character concept), but I’m not sure if I should go further into ranger or go further into Warlock. The 6th level Hexblade feature doesn’t interest me since it doesn’t really fit the character concept. So a 15 Ranger / 5 Warlock multiclass might be just right.

I really only need Antagonizing Blast and Eldritch Smite as invocations as well. So at level 5 I should have these and one extra, which might be something more flavorful like Beguiling Influence (to simulate his Fey connection), or Repelling Blast (to enhance his connection to force-damage). Improved Pact Weapon seems tempting, but I’m pretty sure he will eventually get a +1 weapon, and the I’ve wasted and invocation.

Warlock spells will probably be things like Misty Step (obviously), Charm Person, Invisibility, Darkness, Mirror Image, Suggestion, Counterspell, Dispell Magic, Hypnotic Pattern. Haven’t really decided on the exact flavor yet. I will probably also use a lot of the spell slots for Eldritch Smite.

Ranger spells will be Misty Step (doubling down), Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud, Pass without Trace, Silence. I don’t think I’ll use Hunter’s Mark much since I have two things that require bonus actions (Planar Warrior and Hexblade's Curse). So I would need 3 rounds to get to Hunter’s Mark…

Btw, if I know Misty Step from the Horizon Walker, do I have to take it for Warlock as well? Or can I simply use a Warlock spell slot but use it for the Misty Step I know from being a Ranger?

So that’s basically it. What do you guys think? Is it viable?

Getting Extra attack for free is definitely the first priority.

If you only want 2 levels in lock, then the fastest way to do it would be Ranger 1 / Warlock 1 / Ranger to 5 (extra attack) / Warlock to 2 / Ranger X... you'd get Distant Strike the fastest, but you wouldn't ever get 2nd level spell slots on warlock.

If you want to do 15/5 split, then you'd have to make the decisions on which feature you want first:

2nd level Short rest slots (Warlock 3)
Distant Strike (Ranger 11)
Eldritch Smite (warlock 5)
Vanish (Ranger 14)
and build appropriately. The natural break points in Ranger basically everything between 6 and 13... it all depends on what you want more when.

Another option is asking your DM if you can refluff Zephyr Strike as a teleport-attack-teleport, rather than just running about. Since you avoid AOOs, it isn't a huge stretch.

As for the Spell Slot problem, there isn't a problem:

Pact Magic.
If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.

tieren
2018-08-31, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking of something similar but perhaps going full elf for the fey teleportation feat as well. I think I will take dueling style instead of defense, trying to be a mobile striker.

Going to 9th level in warlock will get you 5th level slots and more teleports (far step), also don't over look thunderstep for a fun damaging teleport. (You get misty step for free at HW 5, you don't need to spend any of your spells known on it).

ranger 11/lock 9 looks very tempting.

And what the previous poster put about your spell question is important, you can use the pact magic slots and the spell slots to cast spells you know from either list. Personally, other than the bonus HW spells I don't see using many of the ranger options and will instead use those slots for lower level warlock spells I might not want to upcast into the short rest recharging pact slots.