PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Titan Vanquisher (Paladin Archetype)

continuumg
2018-08-27, 04:46 PM
Track
A titan vanquisher adds half her level on Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks (min +1).
This replaces Detect Evil

Smite Monstrous
Once per day, a titan vanquisher can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against titanic monsters. As a swift action, the vanquisher chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is an aberration, animal, dragon, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or ooze, the vanquisher adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite monstrous is large or larger, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the vanquisher possesses. Regardless of the target, smite monstrous attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.
In addition, while smite monstrous is in effect, the Titan vanquisher gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the vanquisher targets a creature that is not an aberration, animal, dragon, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or ooze, the smite is wasted with no effect.
The smite monstrous effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the Titan vanquisher rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the vanquisher may smite monstrous one additional time per day
This replaces Smite Evil

Jotungrip
At 3rd level, a titan vanquisher may choose to wield a two-handed melee weapon in one hand with a –2 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. The weapon must be appropriately sized for her, and it is treated as one-handed when determining the effect of Power Attack, Strength bonus to damage, and the like.
This replaces Divine Health

Titan’s Touch
Starting at 4th level, a titan vanquisher can expend two uses of Lay on Hands as a standard action to increase the size of a touched creature, as with Enlarge Person. The vanquisher may use this ability on herself as a swift action. This persists for a number of rounds equal to the vanquisher’s charisma modifier.
This replaces Channel Positive Energy

Proficiencies
A titan vanquisher is proficient with tower shields, but not heavy armor.
This alters the titan vanquisher’s armor proficiencies

Track
A titan vanquisher adds half her level on Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks (min +1).
This replaces Detect Evil

Smite Monstrous
Once per day, a titan vanquisher can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against titanic monsters. As a swift action, the vanquisher chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is larger than her, the vanquisher adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite monstrous is huge or larger, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the vanquisher possesses. Regardless of the target, smite monstrous attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.
In addition, while smite monstrous is in effect, the Titan vanquisher gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the vanquisher targets a creature that is not larger than her, the smite is wasted with no effect.
The smite monstrous effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the Titan vanquisher rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the vanquisher may smite monstrous one additional time per day
This replaces Smite Evil

Jotungrip
At 2nd level, a titan vanquisher may choose to wield a two-handed melee weapon in one hand with a –2 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. The weapon must be appropriately sized for her, and it is treated as one-handed when determining the effect of Power Attack, Strength bonus to damage, and the like.
This replaces Lay On Hands

Holy Bastion
Starting at 3rd level, the titan vanquisher reduces the armor check penalty of a tower shield she wields by 1 (to a minimum of 0). Additionally, she no longer takes the -2 penalty on attack rolls from wielding a tower shield.
This replaces Mercies

Crushing Tower
Starting at 4th level, a titan vanquisher can make shield bash attacks with her tower shield. This is treated as a shield bash with a heavy shield, except that it deals 1d6 damage for medium titan vanquishers, or 1d8 if the tower shield is spiked, and she takes a -2 penalty on such attack rolls. Additionally, she treats tower shields as heavy shields for the purposes of feats that apply to heavy shields but not tower shields.
This replaces Channel Positive Energy

aimlessPolymath
2018-08-27, 08:55 PM
This doesn't feel like it gives anywhere near enough to make up for what it loses.

Smite Monstrocity hits a similar number of types of foes to Smite Evil... If you're a halfling or gnome. Medium size is a _lot_ of enemies. Not a fan of how race choice relates to this.

Jotungrip is a bad Power Attack most of the time- a greatsword in one hand is about +1.5 average damage over a longsword, for example. I can't think of ways in which the two-handedness of the weapon might be useful- is there some obscure weapon enchantment? For this, you give up Lay on Hands, worth a great deal of "patching up" over the average day and your main use of swift actions.

Holy Bastion is a +1 bonus to some skill checks sometimes, and a +2 bonus to attack rolls. It replaces an ability that scales with level.

Crushing Tower is probably just flat bad; I've never seen shield bashes as particularly efficient uses of your actions (barring bashing enchanted shields as budget 1H greatswords), and unless you have TWF to get value out of this, you already have a 1H greatsword. It replaces Channel Energy, a feature so powerfully warping that I have ranted about it to my friends.

continuumg
2018-08-27, 10:20 PM
Updated to improve viability

FlameUser64
2018-08-28, 01:35 AM
Titan's Touch is pretty great (Standard Action Enlarge Person that doesn't care what creature type the target is? Swift Action Enlarge Person on self, even if you're not humanoid? Sign me up!) except that it worsens your range of Smite targets. Even so, it's especially good in conjunction with Jotungrip.

Somewhat unrelatedly, maybe replacing or editing Divine Bond would be in order here? This doesn't feel very much like a mounted archetype.

aimlessPolymath
2018-08-30, 04:29 PM
I swap animals for magical beasts in the target list.

continuumg
2018-08-31, 11:42 AM
I might consider adding them, however I'm planning on using this for a prehistoric campaign, with a lot of big dumb dinosaurs, so I'll be keeping animals.

GrayDeath
2018-09-01, 03:30 AM
Hmmm, I must agree with Aimless polimath, loses too much (ad the Paladin is not a strong class to begin with).

If you have to aim it that massively at larger foes, maybe give it a scaling attack Bonus against them even if not smiting? Something along the lines of +1 Atack and Damage every 3 to 4 levels mayhap?

Also I would keep channel Energy and rather replace Divine Bond with Titans Touch (and still key it off Lay on hands,)?

In addition, maybe improve Jotungrip to wielding one size category larger 2-handed from level onward.

Still wont be strong, but will kill Giants and stuff better. ;)

aimlessPolymath
2018-09-01, 10:41 AM
He's changed it significantly since I made my post.

GrayDeath
2018-09-01, 02:34 PM
I saw, my suggestions clearly aim for the recentmost version (which is, given the lesser obiquitousness of Monstrous Stuff vs. Evil, still a weaker or at most Same power but different" Paladin, methinks). Though I did write larger instead of "specific Monster" Foe, my bad.

aimlessPolymath
2018-09-01, 03:40 PM
I actually think that the trade of humanoid, undead, and outsider targets for the variety of neutral options can be a solid if campaign-dependent trade.

Titan's Touch replaces an incredibly strong feature, but I very much like the way it plays- it's a solid alternative to just laying on hands every turn, it requires two uses of Lay on Hands like Channel does, and Enlarge Person is one of the best buffs around.