PDA

View Full Version : Ummm yeah

Hunterx
2018-08-27, 04:49 PM
So my spirit shaman blaster went puff because of the four of swords in the Deck of many things so the new creation is a human monk 1 Bard 7 Marshal 1

I know one feat I will be taking for sure and that Acstic Mage that one I know for sure. The other I am having a bit of trouble with. Help finish it off please

Yuki Akuma
2018-08-27, 04:53 PM
Personally I'd suggest replacing Marshal with Crusader or War Blade, focusing on the White Raven discipline, unless you're really after a specific Marshal aura that White Raven can't replicate.

Then take Song of the White Raven as one of your feats because it's pretty great.

Hunterx
2018-08-27, 05:18 PM
Personally I'd suggest replacing Marshal with Crusader or War Blade, focusing on the White Raven discipline, unless you're really after a specific Marshal aura that White Raven can't replicate.

Then take Song of the White Raven as one of your feats because it's pretty great.

Those would be great but not allowed as they come from a book the DM refuses to look at. So marshal it is. Word of creation is in the back of my mind but not a for sure pick.

Nifft
2018-08-27, 05:24 PM
Can you just be a Bard 9 and take Leadership to acquire a Marshal as a Cohort? That feels like less of a waste.

Also, just a note: the Deck of Many Things should really be called the Deck of Many Things Which Can Horribly Wreck a Campaign.

It's counterintuitive that your DM refuses to look at ToB (which is mostly great, with a few key fixes required) -- yet that same DM gives you access to a well-known game-wrecking artifact.

Luccan
2018-08-27, 05:35 PM
Also, if you're just taking monk for the AC or something, might I suggest battle dancer? If your DM allows dragon compendium, of course. Unless level 1 flurry of blows and your bonus feat are super important, it synergizes better since it gives you +Cha to AC instead of +Wis. It also has a better BAB

Hunterx
2018-08-27, 07:07 PM
Also, if you're just taking monk for the AC or something, might I suggest battle dancer? If your DM allows dragon compendium, of course. Unless level 1 flurry of blows and your bonus feat are super important, it synergizes better since it gives you +Cha to AC instead of +Wis. It also has a better BAB

I agree on all points,dragon compendium is not allowed again will not look at that book refuses to allow other books except the ones he knows. No Eberron no dragon magazines no nothing like that. I have taken the decisive strike monk instead of flurry of blows and the bard knack instead of knowledge.

Leadership is way way way way off the table so I have to do what I can. I will be looking at going sublime cord I think and with its level 10 ability being based off of performance for blasting I will be wanting to get that check as high as I can.. So motivate charisma helps with that.

He uses the same books over and over again and there are others that could make the game a lot more enjoyable and be able to deal with his mass of enemies that he tends to send our way and the high level enemies as well.

right now our party is as: a lv 9 fighter has no idea what he wants to do and brings reality into the game to much, a orc barbarian who is a drunk and refuses to use rage, level 8-9 not sure right now, a level 9 sorcerer that is there less then half the time my char which tries to be different then what I play all the time of lv 9 something and a level 13 druid who go lucky in the cards. the druid is good as he allows me to help him out to make things easier for the party and he tosses around max, enmpowered splinterbolts at level 7 spells and a few others.

Hunterx
2018-08-27, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the few idea but as you can see the limits are a bit high with this DM and some stuff never be allowed just because he is lazy and does not want to do the reading or he just does not like something because he don't. Like dwarfs can not be wizards war forged can not exist and shifters are apparently to complex for him to understand. He limits what he likes not what the players might and this limits our creativity in the game and diversity to what he can counter. But none the less it is what we have to deal with and most of the time we are going up against stuff we should not be to our level and winning somehow....DM fluff which just the DM playing his own game. He is known for bringing high level NPCs to safe to party and it sucks but he never listens to us. So some ideas on spells would be great if you could and some feat ideas to finish this guy off,just 2 feats are taken snowflake war dance and ascetic Mage. Thanks aging for any help

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-27, 11:03 PM
Rather than making us guess, why don't you tell us what books -are- available. Could help speed this along.

Hunterx
2018-08-27, 11:29 PM
Rather than making us guess, why don't you tell us what books -are- available. Could help speed this along.

Sure: players 1-2, complete arcan,Mage,scoundrels,divine,warrior,adventurers,f orgotten realms campaign setting, book of exalted deeds, the wheel of time, arcana evolved campaign setting, quintasentual chaos Mage, expanded psionics, complete psionics, miniature handbook, races of stone. After that it becomes a case by case basis.

Hunterx
2018-08-29, 04:29 PM
Looks like no one has anything thanks for trying

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-29, 05:10 PM
Enlightened fist and arcane strike leap to mind.

Hunterx
2018-08-29, 06:49 PM
Enlightened fist and arcane strike leap to mind.

Never thought of that with a bard, I as thinking about the dervish bard but that is very feat intensive.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-29, 09:41 PM
Picking up combat casting is feat intensive? Ius and stunning fist are freebies for a monk.

Hunterx
2018-08-30, 10:39 AM
Picking up combat casting is feat intensive? Ius and stunning fist are freebies for a monk.

no no for the bard dervish

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-30, 02:26 PM
no no for the bard dervish

Derp :smallredface:

Yeah, dervish is a bit demanding and doesn't advance any bard features. If all you wanted was bardic music, you could get that through warrior skald.

Thac0 Redeye
2018-09-03, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the few idea but as you can see the limits are a bit high with this DM and some stuff never be allowed just because he is lazy and does not want to do the reading or he just does not like something because he don't. Like dwarfs can not be wizards war forged can not exist and shifters are apparently to complex for him to understand. He limits what he likes not what the players might and this limits our creativity in the game and diversity to what he can counter. But none the less it is what we have to deal with and most of the time we are going up against stuff we should not be to our level and winning somehow....DM fluff which just the DM playing his own game. He is known for bringing high level NPCs to safe to party and it sucks but he never listens to us. So some ideas on spells would be great if you could and some feat ideas to finish this guy off,just 2 feats are taken snowflake war dance and ascetic Mage. Thanks aging for any help

Just a thought: I had a DM like this and he was a true rules lawyer. we had to bash it into his brain that is was "OUR" game not his. If the rest of you stand up and tell him to lighten up or maybe 86 him or someone else take a turn DMing.

Our game is much better now than it was. and we all have more fun.

DMVerdandi
2018-09-04, 05:33 PM
@OP

Might I interest you in Monk 1/Ardent 8?
It's like a monk but with actual powers. Pick up the tashalatora feat so that you can continue your monk growth while leveling up ardent.

Outside of that, you could go another route and do monk 1/ Erudite 8 [possibly preparing for thrall herd ].
Pick up kung-fu genius and tashalatora so you can use INT as your primary stat. This is to go further beyond [powers up]

[Also see if you can convince him to use the dragon magazine erudite. It makes FAR more since. If he does not understand it, explain it as such. The Erudite{dragon}, casts almost like a spirit shaman, but where the spirit shaman prepares their spells and gets the whole list to choose from, the erudite locks their powers in by casting them, and does NOT have all of the powers on their list, but can only get them through items, sharing, and the 2 bonus powers from leveling up.

Arguably the Spirit shaman actually has the 2nd best casting mechanic, and it ties with the dragon erudite, but beats it in a setting where there aren't many places to get niche powers. Erudite wins only with Convert spell to power. The best mechanic is spontaneous casting of the full list.]