PDA

View Full Version : WFRP in the Crimson Throne IC

DrK
2018-08-28, 12:28 AM
Curse of the Crimson Throne
~~Edge of Anarchy~~

http://i.imgur.com/daOdg2J.jpg?1?9578

For over three hundred years, Korvosa has stood as the greatest of cities in Varisia. Originally a Chelaxian colony settlement, the city lacks the grand history enjoyed by many of the nations of the Inner Sea region, but nonetheless has its own share of culture, prosperity, and influence that are cause for pride among its citizenry. Yet Korvosa remains a city of striking contrasts: honor and ill-repute, altruism and immorality, and wealth and poverty can all be found side by side in abundance. It is another day in the busy city, much the same as any other. Though for some certain people, things are about to get quite weird...

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o573/dubyamn1/handoutcards1_zpscxxquoka.gif (http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/dubyamn1/media/handoutcards1_zpscxxquoka.gif.html)

You never saw who slipped this harrow card onto your person. Whoever had done it was beyond slick. Maybe you found it when you opened up your purse nestled in among your small pile of gold which was all still accounted for, maybe you found it when you took off your boot after a long night's work slipped into your sock. However you found it and you you felt the need to go. Not only did you want to gain the information to strike out at Lamm. maybe you were angry that somebody was able to bypass your usually well honed defense against pickpockets, maybe that was what intrigued you. No matter your feeling on the summons you found yourself going deep into Old Korvasa to 3 Lancet street.

Upon entering you find the cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The haze comes from several sticks of incense smouldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

The first to arrive at Zellara’s home finds a simple note on the table, weighed down with a stone paperweight but soon a series strangers enter and and all of you sit there, each cradling the well made Harrow card that each mysteriously received.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o573/dubyamn1/Handout%202_zps0otqfhgz.jpg (http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/dubyamn1/media/Handout%202_zps0otqfhgz.jpg.html)

RCgothic
2018-08-28, 02:22 AM
Nienna hugs her cloak tight around herself, her hood concealing her face. She's taking a big risk coming here - the sort of risk that could lose her her job if she's not careful. Being a generally cautious elf, it had taken a lot of self-convincing for her to heed the first note to begin with, and the fact the host isn't even here now has set her further on edge. She waits quietly, fidgeting with her card, observing the other attendees, and on the alert for the slightest hint of betrayal.

Starbin
2018-08-31, 02:36 PM
Durek Hammerheart strode into the room with steely eyes. He had read the note in his satchel a number of times, wondering if he should come, but eventually he decided to show. It wasn't like he had much of a choice - his life was a pile of dung, since Lamm had framed him for the murder of an innocent weapons dealer. Even with the charges eventually dismissed, no one would hire him to work anything other than menial labor. More importantly, he could not pursue his destiny as a Runecrafter. It wasn't something he just wanted to do ... it was something he needed to do, a virtual life imperative!

Now he was inside a strange house filled with odd smells, wondering what he had gotten himself into. To the side he saw an elf and almost huffed out loud. It figured one of the willowy, stick creatures would be here! He started to say something to her, but his gaze caught sight of a note on the table. He stomped over and read the note quickly, then snorted. Reaching down, he grabbed a piece of bread and whatever the person had left to drink and strode over to a seat opposite the elf. He nodded curtly to her, then began to munch on the bread loudly, washing each bite down with a long pull of his drink.

And he waited.

Gunhaven
2018-08-31, 11:31 PM
Konrad frowned the moment he found the card within his scabbard for his sword and didn’t leave until his lord spotted the displeasure. There was no question of why the squire was upset but there was also no question when Konrad excused himself from the manor. He performed his duties quickly and diligently, finishing just before dinner, and left with his few belongings. He left a few hours before he needed to because he had never been to Old Korvosa and was too prideful to ask directions which is why it took him longer than it should’ve to finally find the house. He tied his horse off to the most logical decision, frowned at the prospect of his mount being stolen, and headed inside.
His frown grew when he noticed all the strange tapestries about and slowly he prepared himself to see who had left the card behind. He quirked an eyebrow when he entered the waiting room and saw both an elf and a dwarf sitting there before he returned to a more neutral expression and took a seat in between the two of them. A moment passed where the only sound was the dwarf eating and drinking before finally the human sighed and bowed his head slightly to the empty chair opposite him, saying ”Konrad. It’s odd times when we meet in such a strange house, yes? I trust you each received one of these?” He pulled out his card and laid it on the table in such a way that either of the others could glance at the writing.

The_Shaman
2018-09-02, 09:23 AM
The evening before, Petschan had found a very unusual item in Verna's saddlebags as he was getting his horse ready for the night. He would fully admit to not being the most experienced roadwarden, but it would take a master thief to plant such a card in the small purse he used as a grooming kit - and not even displace anything. Could it be a trap, he thought? Possible, though it seemed a bit unusual that they would go to such a degree - and he had tried quite well to not make his issue with Lamm public. Plus, Lancet Street was hardly the most secretive place for an ambush. Oh well, he thought with cynical bravado - sometimes, you need to risk the blow to get the gold. Just in case, he mentioned to one of his colleagues he'd be checking some stuff around Lancet street ... enough that if he was disappeared, someone would at least notice where he had gone to.

Some time after Konrad opened, there was a knock on the door, followed by Petschan going inside. He is a man of middling build, perhaps leaning towards athletic, but the roadwarden uniform - and the armor underneath - made it hard to tell. His features are unmistakably Varisian, except for the nearly ashen blond hair that would be a better fit for a man from far up north. As he watched the others for a quiet moment, his lips twitched in a faint smile as he remembered a joke about a dwarf, and elf and a squire going in a bar. The fingers of his left hand played with a small card as he tipped his hat and addressed the others. G'day. This seems to be a rather curious meeting here - no doubt for a rather curious reason, hmm?

Funny thing, you could swear there's some curious smell wafting from outside as he enters, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what it is.

DrK
2018-09-02, 04:47 PM
As you chat nervously amongst yourself the curtain at the back of the room swings open revealing a small door beyond and a middle aged women swoops into the room. The woman in question is an attractive middle aged Varisian with long dark hair and a thin face with the grime and creases from a life in the slums of Korvosa on her person. In her hands a well used deck of harrow cards flicker and jump from hand to hand between her fingers with clearly well practiced ease.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/3890512/Zellara.png

If anyone is trained in magic sense they can make a roll to sense any oddities

Gesturing curtly to the table she sits gingerly one one of the chairs and waits for you all to sit with her. "Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional methods of contacting you. I have a reason to remain hidden. A good one, and one that I may share with you. A viscious man, true scum of alleys, seeks to harm me. And, I think has done harm to you as well. He is know as Gaedran Lamn. A man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his capacity to avoid justice.

You see, a year ago, his thieves stole my harrow deck. Its important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations of Esmeranda Harrow readers. My son, Eran, tracked them down and managed to return my deck but his thieves, his killers tracked us down and they murdered my boy. Then my daughter Sielda and my man Gregor. All of them killed in an afternoon for daring to take back my deck."

She pauses, clearly upset and sad and still emotional over the death of her family. "I sought the help of the guard. I bribed, I stole to pay more bribes I spoke to the Guard until they threw me into the cells for causing trouble and no-one did anything to help. Recently I was rewarded, a reading helped me and guided me to where the devil Gaedran dwells. He and his gang of pickpockets are in a disused fishery at Westpier 17. He takes children from the streets and trains them as thieves."

I need your help. You have all suffered at his hands. I cannot hope to face him on my own and you've all got reason to hate him, and the Guard won't help me. Even if they helped Lamn has connections in the Guard and they'd tip him off before I could do anything. I want you to help me hurt him. I can spin a harrowing to help guide you. But there it is, I need help. Would you help me?"

Starbin
2018-09-02, 07:36 PM
Durek glanced at the two humans who came in. At their questions, he gave a single nod. After finishing his bread and drink, he spoke, his voice low and gruff. ”Aye, sumone slipped a card in me satchel. If’n ye got one, then Ah’m guessin’ ye’ve no love for Lamm, may the Maker’s Forge roast ‘is arse alive fer all time.” .

Before they could continue, a woman walked in, one of the fortune tellers the dwarf had seen before. He stood and bowed, his manners overcoming his distrust. He sat back down and listened to her story, eye’s narrowing. He didn’t think it was a plot by Lamm, but it certainly could be a play by one of the old thief’s competition.

Of course, if she spoke the truth, this might be a chance to find some undeniable evidence of his own innocence... and regain all that he’d lost. After a few moments pause, Durek gruffly said, “Ah’m still list’nin. Ah need a bit o’ reckonin’ wit ‘im.

Gunhaven
2018-09-04, 12:19 AM
Konrad nodded as the others spoke, standing and bowing with the dwarf. He returned to his seat and listened intently, frowning at the theft and was further disappointed by the death and lack of empathy from the guard. Yet in reality he was thinking about how best to get his own revenge against the crime lord. It was he who set the convoluted chain of events which eventually ended up with him serving another family as a squire instead of pursuing his scholarly passions. It took the dwarf speaking again to awake the human from his internal thoughts and he looked around at the others.
He blinked a couple times before he said ”I believe I heard you correctly when you said you knew where to find this man. If someone is willing to guide us there then I’ll gladly help for as long as possible. I may need to get my Lord’s approval for anything longer than a day or two, though; unfortunately training as a squire doesn’t offer one much in terms of freedom.” A moment passed before he added, somewhat reluctantly, ”As for the reading I’ll accept it. I missed my opportunity to study such things personally.”

The_Shaman
2018-09-04, 05:10 PM
Petschan nodded slightly at the dwarf's comments. That was unusual, but at least none of the group looked immediately hostile - and they looked different enough that it seemed unlikely that it was an ambush by a local crime boss. That was getting curious enough to give it a try. He poured himself some water and waited for more information from the others, but then the fortuneteller arrived. That itself did surprise him much - it did look like a varisian house - and the gods knew he'd seen his share of Varisian wifes trying to make do in this town. He nodded to the hostess, this time with more feeling and respect. There were enough women here who did have a touch of something - spirits, ancestors or gods - that it paid to be polite.

He listened to the door with interest. The idea that the guard had simply disregarded Lamm galled him, but it was not altogether a surprise - the damnable tick was likely still rich enough to be able to pay off a few stupid militiamen and maybe even a sergeant or three. In fact, one of the reasons he went to the Roadwardens was that he'd be close to the city guard, but retain a bit of distance until he could figure out who's who. It was a sad story, yet more lives ruined or taken by Lamm. He made a mental note that the boy was likely no innocent lamb either, to be able to return home with some plunder from the tick's own hands, but if the woman was honest it did not worry him too much either way, he was with Pharasma now. Likewise, her own tale of theft and bribery was only to be expected under the circumstances. What needs be done, must be done when family are involved, his mother had often said. And hey, if the seer's reading was correct, he'd gladly ignore far worse crimes than that to get a shot at Lamm. The fact that she'd found him and pulled that trick with the cards was a sign she had some skills, whether in magic or skullduggery.

"I won't deny that I have some bad memories of Lamm. If you have indeed found him, mother, we may be able get some recompense for your kin's blood and suffering; but I'd warn you - this better not be a trick. Would you happen to know how many people - and what kind - he has around him?" His tone was even, but there was something in his voice that made it clear he was quite interested.

RCgothic
2018-09-06, 01:53 PM
The elf girl is clearly uncomfortable being here, and withdraws deeper into her fur-lined cowl as the others start talking and she vanishes the card she's been fiddling with the moment Konrad brings it up.

Even so, she listens raptly as Zellara tells her story, gradually leaning forward in her chair and empathy written across her face at each setback. But she immediately becomes recoils when Zellara makes her request, conflicted emotions crossing her face as the others state their agreement.

"This... this sounds illegal. Like, abetting a murder illegal." Nienna turns her head towards the way out as though seriously considering just leaving.

"The Many know that Calistria would approve. And I certainly wouldn't shed any tears for him, he's hurt more than enough people - all of us, by accounts - it'd be doing the city a favour!" she rationalises.

"I just..." she gazes down at her hands clasped tightly in her lap. "I could lose my job! And... ...I just don't know if I can... kill..."

Starbin
2018-09-06, 03:39 PM
Durek glowered at the elf. ”Ain’t nobody said murder, lass. But findin’ evidence t’clear me name from a known thief, slaver ‘n killer? ‘Specially when the Guard won’t touch tha’ bastich? Ah’ll take me chances. If’n ye ain’t got the stomach fer it, elf, then be on yer way. ” When the dwarf spoke of clearing his name, his hands clenched a small carved rune hanging from his neck, a pained, hungry look in his eyes.

RCG, hopefully you know me well enough that I’m not just being an ass ...I figured it’ll be the start to our characters becoming close

DrK
2018-09-08, 08:01 AM
Zellara looks at the young elf, "Any help would be appreciated. Even just running notes, fetching the guard or being a look out with your sharp eyes. These things would all help." Glancing to Petschan the roadwarden she shrugged. "He had some thugs with him when he took my family, and worse is the rumour of a lizard of some kind that he feeds those who have debts to him. He is a vile creature." Shuffling the cards she glances back at the ones that had brought you here,

For Petschan the cricket, ideal for one chases criminals
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/_img/harrow-pathfinder-10644.jpg
For the young elf Nienna the mysterious Dancer trying to stay in harmony or when misaligned a perilous time
http://gallery.burrowowl.net/index.php?q=/image/28416.jpg
The tough looking dwarf Durek receives locksmith. Rather than mechanical it symbolises the unlocking of a new fate
http://gallery.burrowowl.net/index.php?q=/image/28404.jpg
Lastly Konrad the squire receives peacock, is his plumage a front and about to mark a change in his life?
http://pathfinder.zhmp.net/uploads/Magic/HarrowDeck_ThePeacock_small.jpg

The old woman grins at you all. "I warn you, the cards never lie and I don not control. I only interpret. I am merely a conduit for the Gods to say what has gone before, what is happening now and what will happen after. Are you ready?" As she shuffles the 9 cards out slowly you can all smell a strange smell, your hairs standing on end slightly as a strange feeling sweeps are across the room. The 9 cards are dealt in the familiar 3 by 3 grid, three for the past, three for the present and 3 for the future. With a look of intense concentration Zellara begins, the first 3 cards on the left row flipping over to reveal an armoured crow, the second one below that a shimmering unicorn and the third an armoured woman in gleaming golden armour. "Hmm" she muses, her hands trembling "The crows sets the deck. The keys are in the high suit. The taking of loved ones and items. My cards, your sister, others you have lost perhaps? But it lies misaligned, so it can be stopped. The unicorn is a what you seek, something you value. The paladin lies in shadow, bravery and standanig fast may not be wise." She looks around, "Two misaligned an ominous picture."She flips over the three cards for the present - the first a man under a glowing big sky, the second a dwarf hammering at the forge and the third and upside down a winged serpent witha rainbow body and a long tail. "Interesting. I can see that in the now there is a chance to free something or someone from bondage and that strength comes through diversity, the second sentence with a tap on the forge and look around the table, "But the winged serpent is upside down and failing to seize the moment may be critical." Looking at the third row she flips the last cards over - a thorn bush filled with skeletons in the tangled briar,a pair of twins, and a publican, but misaligned and upside down, his beer pouring on the ground. Zellar hisses staring at the top and bottom cards - "Something bad is coming. The tangled briar brings forth ancient evils, a duality of purpose clouds the issue and the publican cannot offer refuge. No-where is safe." She sags back, exhausted by the harrowing.

Harrow points - same as fortune points but are spent per chapter. Essentially bonus fortune points per chapter

As no-one card hot pulled you only get 2 this chapter
But your cards effect something this chapter as well (I'll let you know when)

She looks weary, but waves off the offer of food and drink. "The telling was clear. Disaster will follow if an oportunity is missed. ou ust go quickly and go now to Lamn's hideout. The fishery awaits you, the bastard Lamn hiding amidst the scales of the Devilfish."

The_Shaman
2018-09-09, 12:14 PM
Petschan looks on with a mix between wariness and respect. The seers could tell you the future, and the really, really good ones, people whispered, could subtly change it...yet usually, they were just liars. This one seems to be the real deal, if he's any judge.

"Well then," he says after it's over. "We will see what we can do about this place, hm?" Saying that, he eyed the other conspirators. That's usually not the kind of thing one does with strangers, but he was sure the witch had gathered them for a reason. However... much as he dreamed about getting even with Lamm, he wasn't exactly a cold-blooded murderer, and none of the four here looked to be one.

Guess we'll have to do it hot-blooded, then, heh, he thought.

Starbin
2018-09-10, 02:10 PM
Durek watched the woman begin with a bunch of cards, frowning in suspicion and disdain as she spoke. It seemed like a big mumbo-jumbo con, and he was angry he had fallen for it. But the woman had shown skill in delivering the invite, and keen insight into folks who had a stake in taking Lamm down a notch or three. Biting his tongue, he let the woman finish, rolling his eyes at some of the turns of phrase that she spouted. However, when she finished, he keyed in on the one useful thing she said.

”There be th'payoff ... Lamm be 'idin' at th'fishery. Seems like the best place t'start. Any o' ye know anythin' 'bout the fishery?" The dwarf gave a moment for the others to answer, or offer any additional suggestions. Then, by his mind, it was time for action.
Magic fortune telling ... bah! No way any of that is true! :smallbiggrin:

Gunhaven
2018-09-10, 11:45 PM
Konrad sighed and said "I don't even know where this fishery is at. I honestly don't get out much." He paused for a moment as he reflected on the reading, deciding ultimately to put about as much faith in them as he did any other time he found himself near cards of an apparently more mundane variety. Finally he stood up, bowed towards Zellara, and made sure he left no obvious sign of his presence. Satisfied he said "I'll wait for everyone outside" and left to get his horse ready.

DrK
2018-09-12, 06:27 AM
The young squire steps outside to check on his horse whilst the others wait inside. Both Nienna, from her job as a messenger running around the streets and Petschan from his job know of the fisheries. Part of the bustling water front in the West Docks on the wide and fast flowing Jeggare river the old fisheries lie towards the northern end of the docks in the less salubrious part of the docks and further from the high walls and guards of Citadel Volshyenek.

The area is filled with small fisheries that tend the boats that fill the river and the larger ships that come back in from the sea and a is a roughe and ready place with fish markets, sailor's inns, brothels and shops catering to those make a living on the water. Both the watchman and the messenger know the place that Zellara describes. A decaying old warehouse, one of a dozen rough and dilapidated fisheries is a place where desperate anglers can sell off their less fetching catches (fish caught 3 days dead in the nets, or freakish specimens unfit for sale, for example) and where fishmongers dump their old sun-tainted wares that reek with the first hints of decay. Poor folks in that area toil in the guts and slime, creating a foul-smelling slurry that can then be resold as bait, fertiliser, or the main ingredient for what are known as “dock-dumplings,” a local favorite among poorer dock workers who can’t afford fresh fish. Its nota nice area and the well to do of the city avoid it but those with less coin live there amidst the fish and thieves and bustle.

Gunhaven
2018-09-14, 12:37 AM
Konrad tried to hide his disdain behind an uneasy smile but it was obvious he didn’t belong. From the way he dressed to the care he took in maintaining his possessions to the presence he carried around himself screamed better off than the rabble. He kept his mouth shut and seemed to be fascinated in the mane of his horse until they finally got close enough to the warehouse. Only then did he seem to register where he was as he said in a hushed tone ”Do we have a plan? I don’t think we should walk into the place like we belong there, or at least I shouldn’t. If someone knows the general layout then maybe we can find a way to just get into his office and not deal with the rest of this...filth.”

RCgothic
2018-09-19, 11:37 AM
Nienna says nothing as Zellara suggests how she could still help, but doesn't leave either, implicitly agreeing to participate. She sits quietly through the reading and remains reserved for the rest of the gathering until Konrad gets up to leave.

"I do," she says simply in response to his statement of ignorance. She follows him out with a nervous backward glance at Zellara.

At the familiar stench of the fisheries she wrinkles her nose, waiting for one of the others to suggest a plan.

The_Shaman
2018-09-19, 03:52 PM
Petschan looks at the building from a distance. "I say we case the place,careful-like - see who goes in, who goes out. In the evening, when there are fewer people, we get in. They try to keep a low profile, so they probably aren't friends with the neighbors."

Starbin
2018-09-19, 11:15 PM
Durek peered around the fishery with a look of distaste. He wasn’t sure what smelled worse, the fish or the people. At the roadwarden’s suggestion, the dwarf snorted. ”Sure, them thieves won’t be noticin’ this lot." He motioned to the group. ”Best Ah find a stool n’ ale ‘till tonight."

Durek looked around for a tavern, intent on getting off the street. He knew he stood out like a sore thumb.
Time to remove the huge alert to the crimeord!

DrK
2018-09-20, 04:56 PM
The dwarf spies a ramshackle street bar only 30-40 yards from the front of the fish yard. A large wagon with a stack of 3-4 beer barrels on the back and a dozen stools arranged around it. A fat and decidedly shady looking halfling grins as you approach. "2 pence a pint. Finest varisian ale I tells you" he smiles pointing to the stools. The ale is weak, watery and of low quality but affords you a good view of the broken down fishyard. A sniff of the mystery pie though warns you off, even for Durek's otherwise iron constitution.

Over the next 2-3 hours and a couple of pints of ale you see no-one grown ups heading into or out of the building. But a succession of small grubby almost feral looking children creep in and out constantly and with Nienna's sharp eyes she can see many of the urchins are clutching beltpouches or suspicious heavy looking sacks that are clearly not theirs.

Gunhaven
2018-09-21, 05:39 PM
Konrad wasn't a fan of this situation at all. It took him nearly half an hour to actually sit down versus stand off to the side, then another fifteen minutes to start drinking. He then seemed to struggle with pences for a minute before he finally pulled out a shilling and set it down to get started. He positioned all of his belongings so that he could keep an eye on them, not willing to deal with the consequences of his Lord's equipment being stolen, and stuck to drinking. Eventually he turned to the others and mumbled "I wonder how much those kids earn. How'd you even set up an orphanage for them?"

The_Shaman
2018-09-26, 10:59 AM
Petschan nods at the others, then takes off, walking around the place and keeping some distance away from the fishery so as not to be too obvious, careful to notice who goes towards and away from it - especially kids.

perception: [roll0]vs 40 before modifiers

RCgothic
2018-09-26, 02:14 PM
Nienna

Nienna watches the comings and goings of the street rats from deep inside her furred hood, drink cradled close in both hands even though she rarely sips.

"I hope he knows what he's doing," she mutters as Petschan starts wandering around.

Perception [roll0] vs 43

DrK
2018-09-28, 05:53 AM
The young warden wanders off, slowly strolling around the street "casing" the joint. And can see the warehouse, with its disgusting smell of rotten fish is rickety and juts out over the water, a churn of fish always near the surface eating the remnants of the rotting fish that even Lamn won't sell to people. The warehouse juts out over the sea front, a slippery looking wooden walkway around both sides leading to a dilapidated boat moored and listing behind the warehouse.

As Nienna watches from the cart the halfling serving you leans closer, the stench of his garlic and sausage breath offending her elven sensebilities. "Aye, they be thieves in there. Watch fer one of my kin in there. Looks like a kid be 'ees a savage. Seen him beating those kids bloody when he ain't robbing folk blind."

https://pre00.deviantart.net/a651/th/pre/i/2014/307/3/1/old_fishery_by_askren-d857elm.jpg
Please ignore the interior you haven't seen yet :smallsmile:

OOC

You guys going to go in for a closer look?

Gunhaven
2018-09-29, 04:47 AM
Konrad frowned at the report of what was seen and somehow managed to frown further when he heard a halfling was beating the kids. He nodded his head, sighed, and finished his drink before standing up. As he straightened his gear he said in a somewhat low voice so that, at worst, only the halfling could listen in ”I believe now is the time we enter. Perhaps the small side entrance to the right?” He then paused and turned to face the halfling, a professional smile playing across his face.
He leaned in, pulled out another three* shillings, and placed them on the wagon. In that same low voice, although a bit louder so that the halfling wouldn’t strain to hear him, he said ”I couldn’t help but overhear you earlier. Would you happen to know about that building over there? Perhaps where we could find the owner to have a civil conversation with him?”

Welp, gonna try Charm! I’m hoping to bribe him a bit to add enough of a situational modifier to matter, going up to a gold or two total.
[roll0] vs 30 + Modifiers.

I’m also not going to move my hand from the coins until he gives some information. Just in case I botch the check or something.

DrK
2018-09-30, 04:03 PM
The halfling leans in closer to Konrad, a hand reaching for the coins and grinning as he pushes at the dubious meat pie slowly cooking on the coal brazier on his cart. "Aye. My friend. I do. That be Lamn's place. He's a businessman with some clout in this area. Friends in the guards. You lot if you're looking to get involved with Gaedron you'd best be ready for trouble. If you planning on heading there when you been watching all afternoon I'll wish you Desna's luck and be moving my cart down the road eh?"

The halfling grins as he pockets the cash and with a nod pours Konrad another mug of the cheap ale that he's been selling.

Starbin
2018-10-01, 06:24 PM
Durek sat drinking his ale, displeased with this spying. He was an artisan! Apprentice to a master, and eventual successor to the secrets of stone few even had heard of, let alone could master. He could be seated at the table with kings and lords of his clan, even those of the lesser races, drinking the finest ale and eating the choicest cuts of meat. Instead, here he sat, surrounded by stinking filth, guzzling piss, while watching children file in and out of a fishery!

The more he considered his plight, the more sullen he grew. At the halfling’s comments, he slammed down his mug and growled, ”Are ye sayin’ we’ll be walkin’ inta a trap."
Have we already been made, or is that just foreshadowing?

The_Shaman
2018-10-02, 02:44 PM
Petschan spent some time looking for people or answers, but fails to find any. It's not entirely unsprising, he does cut a slightly more dangerous figure than most of the locals. Roadwardens don't wear much in the line of uniform, but this could be an issue. Well, not too big of an issue, maybe it would slow Lamm's minions down. At least it doesn't seem completely abandoned.

He returns to the group, and volunteers the information. "We could go through the front door, but they also have a small pier, so we could use a boat to come from the back door. If one of you knows how to row a boat, we could do that fairly easy. Otherwise... we can try the obvious door."

Gunhaven
2018-10-06, 02:49 AM
Konrad sighed and got up from his stool after finishing his drink. He straightened his armor while frowning, brooding slightly at the realization they’d be expected. Another sigh saw him slouch his head and mumble ”I can’t be bribing everyone here. We should be able to avoid the children at least, and should only have to deal with Lamn and his immediate croonies.” He then worked the kinks out of his body from sitting and mumbled in between stretches ”We could try talking our way into his office since he knows we’re here…”

DrK
2018-10-16, 04:42 PM
As you ready yourself to head in you see another youngster approaching you, small, with a shock of red hair tucked under a dirty grey hood. He looks at you all, before whispering "The fortune teller sent me eh? She said you'd help me get revenge against Lamn..." He points to a narrow alley nearby and hustles you within. "I used to work for 'im see. Him and that bastard halfling he got working for him. But I know there's a loose window on the side, we could sneak in there?"

OOC

Enter Mark L

Mark_L
2018-10-18, 10:29 AM
”So whaddya fink. I can’t wait to get one over on that bastard”

Dieter absent minded my draws a sharp but grimy looking dagger.

Gunhaven
2018-10-20, 11:35 PM
Konrad frowned at all this talk of sneaking around and mumbled, half-apologetically, ”I’m not the best at sneaking.” A bit louder he adds ”However if everyone wants to take that route then I’ll manage. The important thing is that we stick together and be thorough. I’m not about to have some halfling show up when we’re in the middle of talking to Lamn.” If there was no other suggestions then he began the casual approach to the window to get this plan in motion versus delaying any longer and potentially getting in trouble with his Lord.

The_Shaman
2018-10-21, 11:20 AM
Petschan's face was impassive as impatience warred with prudence. "Sure, but I'd wait till the evening. It might not be the most civilized part of town, but things may get noisy, and it would be better to have less people around, as long as they don't slip out."

DrK
2018-10-21, 04:10 PM
The afternoon is long and tiring, as you all cluster in one of the local inns. The Mermaid's Purse a rough dockside inn, is busy throughout the day with fishermen, dockworkers and random travellers. But the beer, whilst watered down is cheap and the bread and fish stew is only vaguely stale or rotten. You can talk to the strange young thief but the fact he's also got a harrrow card like yourselves is pretty convincing, the fact that his card also randomly appeared in belt pouch matches the rest of you.

Its evening when you creep back out. The docks significantly quieter now that the oats are in. With the fall of the sun lamp lighters circulate the streets smoky oil lights flickering and adding a haze of lamp smoke to the dim light. THe shadows and alleys are bust with furtive movements as the criminal elements begin to emerge and scantily dressed women with rouged lips and tawdry clothes lounge on every street corner. Down by Lamn's warehouse you can see the water is still, the moons reflecting off the black water now clear of busy boats. Any boats or skiffs rowing out there now likely up to no good or a rare fisher out seeking exotic ghost squid or nightmare crabs.

THe warehouse looks abandoned but to Nienna's sharp eyes she can see light filtering through some cracks in the walls. But the street around it is relatively quiet with little in the way of traffic and your halfling pie vendor long since gone off such a dingy street. He would have been easy prey for some of gang toughs lurking in the streets and narrow closes in this part of the town. Of the stout city watch there is no sign, the closet they come to this area is looking out of the castle a mile away down the river.

Starbin
2018-10-23, 07:04 PM
Durek finished his watery piss and glared at the youth that approached. However, his tale and card spoke volumes. He accepted the boy for now; he’d put his axe through the lad’s head of the human betrayed them.

He agreed with the decision to go at night, especially since the dark favored his night sight. That didn’t change the fact he was as quiet as a squeaky door. He followed the others at a distance, but kept his eyes and ears open for signs of trouble. He whispered to the others, ”Best be keepin’ ‘n eye on tha’ dinghy."
[roll=Perception]1d100[/roll vs TN42 +/- mods

Gunhaven
2018-10-23, 10:36 PM
Konrad for his part took the delay to get his horse to a safe place before they got into any potential danger. While most of his belongings were on loan from his Lord he figured the animal would be the hardest to replace should things go wrong and the least likely to provide assistance in the coming quest. When he returned he stuck to the back with the dwarf, knowing he was just about as quiet as the fellow metal wearer and simply nodded at the suggestion. He mumbled "Lad, why don't you lead us through your former employer's place? You probably have the best idea on where to go."

RCgothic
2018-10-26, 10:14 AM
Nienna wrings her hands but she nods along to Konrad's suggestion, looking more committed to the raid that she did this afternoon at least. Her elven eyes dart around, keenly vigilant.

Perception [roll0] vs 43
Silent Move [roll1] vs 19

DrK
2018-10-27, 12:35 PM
Popping down to the waterfront you can still see the faint flecks of light leaking from the warehouse. Nienna can hear nothing from inside as they approach walking down the street trying to look casual.

From the street there are 3 options, the main entry from the street through a double door that looks securely locked. To the left from the main loading dock is another double door. On the right down the narrow rotting walkway that ends at the partially submerged boat isca much smaller door partially obscured by some crates filled with week old fish slurry. Your new friend pointing that out as Yargin, the office managers, office.

Aside from yourselves the street is quiet save for the prostitutes and a couple of late night fishermen hustling to the pub.

Mark_L
2018-10-27, 01:25 PM
Dieter drinks with the others during the day, becoming animated describing his old boss.

As dusk falls he spends some time watching the warehouse and planning how to sneak in.

I’ll check out Yargins office, with any luck he’s out. If he’s in we can do it another way..

With a final sinister smile he disappears into the darkness along the warehouse...

Perception [roll0] vs 30
Silent move [roll1] vs 32

Edit: super lol

The_Shaman
2018-10-27, 03:23 PM
Petschan eyes the house suspiciously. "Either way, this might get messy. I doubt I can pull much rank here in case this goes south and the watch comes, just so you know. You all still in?"

Starbin
2018-10-27, 05:42 PM
Durek snorted, then wav d at the young human to do his thing. ”Ah was committed before ye waved yer colors ... Ah’m ‘ere t’deal with tha bastich Lamm. Now, send the lad on ‘is way.’’
Waiting for the scout ...[

Gunhaven
2018-10-29, 12:53 AM
Konrad mumbled "It sounds like he's got guards in his pocket anyway...I hope he comes back alright..." as he watched the former urchin approach the building.

The_Shaman
2018-11-06, 07:16 PM
The Varisian looks at the others with a stone face. "You trust this one not to turn on us?"

DrK
2018-11-08, 02:36 AM
The urchin creeps forward, sneaky and quiet -as befitting a street urchin - he ghosts up the side of the building stepping carefully on the wet and slippery wooden slats and avoiding the ones that look damaged. Reaching the door it gives with a little force as he peeks around the corner and has a brief look inside. The room beyond is a carefully balanced work of chaos. A desk festooned in papers and manifests detailing fishing boats that don't exist and orders and deliveries that are fronts for either criminal enterprises or just made up from nothing. From where you've pried the door open there is door that you know leads further into the back rooms or a second door that will lead into the main warehouse structure by the front where the bulk of the fish slop is processed by the large double doors that are the main entrance,

Sorry for the delay I was moving house and then away on business so its been chaotic.

Mark_L
2018-11-10, 10:39 AM
Dieter pauses at the door, listening carefully for sounds of activity from within the warehouse, whilst eyeing the papers.

Quite a lot of mischief could be caused just disposing of those, but whilst the temptation is strong there is. If her mischief afoot.

He draws a dagger and a heavy, dented wooden cudgel, it’s end wrapped in misshapen metal bands and studded with nails. Using the dagger to flash a signal his companions he ginergerly enters the office, crouching behind the door that leads deeper into the back, cudgel ready.

DrK
2018-11-17, 04:44 AM
Dieter creeps into the office. Through the door to the main room you can hear low conversation of what you suspect is where Lamn's lambs are sleeping and resting. To the door leading deeper into the facility you can't hear anything.

So far it seems no one has noticed your presence

Starbin
2018-11-17, 11:32 AM
Durek shrugged, with a dark look on his face. ”Ah dinnae trust any o’ ye ... but lad ‘as one’ o’ th’cards, ‘n we all ‘ave nuthin’ but ‘ate fer Lamm. Ah figure this be too elaborate fer a plot; Lamm woulda knifed us at th’ witch’s ‘ouse..’

Durek couldn’t waste time second-guessing everyone possible back-stabbing moment ... else he would be here now. Of course maybe his desire to see Lamm pay for his crimes was blinding him a bit.
Chit-chatting while the scout scouts, keeping watch for any watch. Durek will advance if Dieter gives a signal

RCgothic
2018-11-17, 04:17 PM
Nienna continues to fidget as she keeps watch. Finally she comes to a decision. "I can't stand this waiting," she hisses, climbing up after Dieter.

Mark_L
2018-11-19, 03:15 PM
After listening intently Dieter eases the door open further into the facility.

intending to open the door to the front if poss.

DrK
2018-11-25, 05:25 PM
Dieter opens the door back into the front office of the building, with the door open a crack he can see the wide open hallway and hear the snores and breathing of maybe half a dozen small children all wrapped in thin blankets on rough bedrolls clustered around a small fire burning in the hearth. The smell of fish is overwhelming and the children seem filthy and unkempt. Unless you want to wake the children or head through the barred double doors back out to the street it seems likely that the doors towards the back deeper into the tangled fish factory where you suspect Lamn will make his lair. Perhaps aboard the partially decomposing boat in the water.

The_Shaman
2018-12-18, 06:49 PM
Petschan keeps eyeing the building from a distance, waiting for the urchin to return.

Mark_L
2018-12-24, 04:55 AM
Dieter hovers in the office, wondering if his companions understood the signal flash he sent towards them.

sorry guys, I missed a post; was expecting you to join me!

Gunhaven
2018-12-24, 08:58 AM
Konrad blinked a couple times as he mumbled to his comrades "Seems the urchin's gotten inside without issue. I doubt he can take care of Lamn by himself." He started to move closer towards the building, frowning out how out of place he was with this entire situation.

Starbin
2019-01-01, 04:13 PM
OOC - My bad on two accounts. I missed Mark_L's signal to the group ... and I apparently unsubscribed to the IC thread. Back and ready to go!

Durek watched at the lass took off impatiently. Shaking his head, he started to comment when a flashing from the building caught his eye. Maybe the girl had seen the signal. Grunting in consternation, he turned to the others and nodded to the fishery. ”Looks like the lad is 'callin' as it wer. Best be gittin' ...’

Durek slowly approached, unskilled in surreptitious travel as he was. But he kept his hand on the rune-inscribed axe he carried, certain that trouble was just around the corner.
OOC - ready to go ... sorry for the delay!