PDA

View Full Version : One-off Adventure Help

kbob
2018-08-28, 01:42 AM
So I was invited to a one-off, tournament-style game! Basically you make a new char and fight another player to the death (no resurrection). Three days later (in game) you fight another player (presumably someone who won the first round as well). The winner becomes a god in the DMs world and the player loses the char. (But "may" be given privilege of making certain choices for the god in the future). Basically, it's bragging rights. I asked him if we can probe for ideas from others and he said "sure!" So I'm asking for ideas. I have a few of my own of course (like possibly taking 4 levels in thrall of demorgorgon for the sole purpose to get 2 full round actions in one turn twice a day) but I am certainly open to ideas.
The Rules...
starting: ECL 20 and 750,000gp!!!
Books: core 3.5 (PHB, DMG, MM), expanded psionics HB, "complete" series (arcane, adventurer, champion, divine, mage, scoundrel, warrior), "races" series (destiny, stone, dragon, wild), PHB2, exalted deeds, vile darkness, dragon magic, nine swords, magic item comp, and spell comp
Battle: must fight (can't diplo out of it), can't leave arena, can't destroy arena
Classes: max 5 (including monsters... I assume he means those with LA), will earn XP after fights (may level) and earn items of the fallen (can keep or immediately sell and purchase other items)
Build specs: cannot be "too min/maxed" (he did not elaborate on this)
Fighting limitations: nothing that kills without a save (except damage of course)... basically PWK is off the table

That's it. I had some really busted ideas but many of them require disallowed sources. So, any ideas?!!!

Kayblis
2018-08-28, 02:22 AM
ECL 20, lots of money, one fight per day. It's asking for spellcasters all around.

You have the Complete series, Spell Comp, Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic. The classic Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold is a very legal idea. Even without stacking templates like Loredrake or Spellhoarding(two templates that fit certain god archetypes very well), you still have a higher ceiling for spellcasting than other casters - the focus on direct combat only, 1 combat a day, makes the Sorcerer as good as the Wizard if not better. Dragonwrought negates aging penalties, and you can invest a feat to get 1 more level of Sorcerer spellcasting with Kobolds - that gives a free spellcasting level to give up in PrCs.

If your DM somehow bans all spellcasting after everyone showing up with a Cleric/Wizard, either go Ubercharger for 1 round fights or Tome of Battle for those sweet high-level maneuvers - Greater Divine Surge is a great combat ender(+46d8 damage with +20 to-hit? hell yeah!), and can be followed by a Heal(Devo 9 maneuver) through a Belt of Battle(3 charges, use 2 to get an extra Standard Action). If you hit, you lose nothing even if your opponent survives. This is not a cheesy build, this is what the base class gives you.

Oh yeah, you can get a full-round action a day with the Belt of Battle. Or a Standard and a Swift action. Or three Swift actions. Better than losing 2 spellcasting levels.

kbob
2018-08-28, 09:24 AM
I was not aware of that belt. Thanx! Ya I was thinking about an ubercharger. I want to kill in one round. I'm pretty sure everyone else (or most) will be caster types. I need to win initiative (but have a fall back for if I don't) and be able to get around shinanigans of casters that they may get off first (flying, prismatic wall, invisibility, pretty much any 8th/9th level spell, etc.). They will certainly either try to kill me first round or do something to keep me from getting to them. I'm not certain if we will be able to buff before starting (i.e. before doors open for the gladiators to enter if that is the effect he goes for). I will assume this will happen to plan for worst. Of course if it is, I could benefit from it too with the right potions/items.
I'm not 100% sold on the ubercharger but I like the potential. I've played chargers before and they get stupid. Ha. But again, other ideas are welcomed. I'm not playing against a DM but other crafty players.
Items/abilities I think I need are the belt you mentioned, a way to fly, a mask in MIC (constant true seeing), item/way to use wings of cover, item/way to get initiative (I think there is a psionic ability that can confirm intitiative for you but leaves you shaken, a few levels a paladin would stop shaken). Perhaps a way to use antimagic could help. An item of dimension door or some other weigh to navigate around pesky walls.
More ideas?

kbob
2018-08-28, 10:08 AM
Other items:abilities:
Amulet of undying fortitude, mind blank, contingency (contingent on: fight starts; effect: something that renders opponent useless <w/o save if possible>). May need to be a caster or some kind of psionic.

Sto
2018-08-28, 10:27 AM
Play a Dragonborn Frenzied berzerker. Choose wings. How do you beat casters? a continuous item of Antimagic Field costs 198,000 gp (DMG pg. 285) out of your 750,000. You can spend the rest of your gp on items you'll use in case your AMF gets dispelled. If that happens you want high saves to avoid the spells, so a +5 vest of resistance is worth having (MIC). You want an item of +6 dex, an item of +6 wis, and an item of +6 con. con and wis normally counteract eachother, so you might want to see if your dm will let you get the wis on a head slot. A greater cloak of displacement will be handy to have. A belt of battle will let you demolish melee fighters if they somehow got rid of your AMF. You'll also be wanting a continuous item of true seeing which using the DMG rules costs 180,000. in total this costs you 609,000 gp (I think). This should leave you with the money to buy a semi decent weapon and a few other things.
But now I'm outta time.

kbob
2018-08-28, 11:06 AM
So is it better to stick with a melee build then a caster/manifestor?

kbob
2018-08-28, 12:18 PM
Are there any spell caster ideas that are built to fight alone against one target?

Lotheb
2018-08-28, 08:28 PM
For a caster option An Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (in complete arcane) could be good. Gets full arcane spell casting progression, some ok bonuses related to dispelling, some immediate action defenses that can block all sorts of stuff, and if prebuffing is allowed then Kaleidoscopic Doom can turn your foe's buffs into 140 damage (ref half), death (fort for 1d6 con), petrification (fort negates), insanity (will negates), and plane shift to a random plane (will negates). 7 levels long, so you can combine it with (part of) another prestige class or two, prequisites are 3 meh feats, a bunch of points in spellcraft and know arcana, and a few in know nature, and 5 abjuration spells, suggesting wizard entry.

kbob
2018-08-28, 10:03 PM
I had forgotten about the IotS! 0.0 He is a tough one to kill (may be understated).