PDA

View Full Version : Player Help The (p)urge to (poorly) Theurge - help me

noce
2018-08-28, 02:57 AM
My DM allowed me entry in Anima Mage as a Shadowcaster (the only tweak is that vestige metamagic gives more uses of Metashadow feats).
Then, he allowed entry in Tenebrous Apostate as well.

So, I am going to play a Binder 1 / Shadowcaster 3 / Anima Mage 10 / Tenebrous Apostate 5 / Shadowcaster +1.
This will eventually give me Shadow Magic 18 and Pact Magic 15 (so three vestiges and 8th level with Improved Binding).

I am building it as a CHA based caster, hoping that the 1/5rounds Binder abilities will help me with the lack of Mysteries per day (and we rarely do more than two encounters per day anyway). For reference, I'm going human with starting stats 11 14 14 14 8 18.

Do you have any suggestions about feats and items that will benefit both sides of the build? Something along the lines of Veil of Allure or Sudden Ability Focus, but better if possible :smallbiggrin:

General suggestions will be highly appreciated, too.
(I know about Ari's fix, but we're not going to use it)

noce
2018-08-29, 04:48 AM
Anyone with any bit of suggestions?

Even your opinion on how playable this combo is would help me!

Noel Oaksleaf
2018-08-30, 02:00 PM
Thirteeeeeen

ExLibrisMortis
2018-08-30, 04:12 PM
Divine feats and Devotion (Domain) feats are the first thing to look at. Tenebrous grants Turn Undead 1/5 turns, after all, and these feats are fuelled by Turn Undead uses. Ask your DM if you can "pay in instalments" on Turn Undead uses. Some abilities require you to give up three uses. If you can give up the next three uses of the ability to fuel that, you'd effectively get unlimited uses out of combat. If you can't, it's probably worth picking up TU somewhere else (maybe a Death Delver level is thematic, else Death Master certainly is, as it's an Orcus-worshiping class).

Death Devotion might be nice--add some negative levels to your melee routine. Combines nicely with Chupoclops to get a pouncing charge with three negative levels on top.

Travel Devotion is good for getting around. Sadly, travel is not normally associated with Tenebrous/Orcus, but maybe you can find an angle. Combining Travel Devotion with Chupoclops allows you to go ethereal and move around as a swift action. Chupoclops' etherealness ends if you take any move, standard, or full-round action, and you're just using swifts. It would also be amusing to drop out of the Ethereal with some kind of bonus action (belt of battle) and immediately make a pouncing charge with Death Devotion.

Using Whirlwind Attack (from binding Paimon) right after dropping out of the Ethereal in the middle of your enemies would be amusing, too. Just have to be careful to survive that--Tenebrous' Deeper Darkness ability should help a lot.

Zceryll is very powerful as always. 100' telepathy and Mindight, plus the ability to summon anything from the SMV/SMVII list?