PDA

View Full Version : On Gargauth, Asmodeus, and the Nine Hells

umbergod
2018-08-28, 09:50 AM
Been reading all of the lore and keep hitting contradictions. Some state Asmo's fall created the Nine Hells, yet that directly contradicts Gargauth's origin story, which states he was the ruler of the Nine Hells long ago, before being exiled for being foul even by devil standards. Is there any concrete history that sorts this fustercluck out?

the_david
2018-08-28, 10:16 AM
Those contradictions might be intentional. The mythology in D&D varies depending on who you ask an which god they worship. Sometimes stories are similar but have minor difference such as Corellon gouging out the eye of Gruumsh vs. Gruumsh always had one eye, but he's still mad at Corellon for gouging his eye out. Kurtulmak and Garl Glittergold have a similar story.

So the answer is that neither and both are true.

umbergod
2018-08-28, 10:20 AM
Those contradictions might be intentional. The mythology in D&D varies depending on who you ask an which god they worship. Sometimes stories are similar but have minor difference such as Corellon gouging out the eye of Gruumsh vs. Gruumsh always had one eye, but he's still mad at Corellon for gouging his eye out. Kurtulmak and Garl Glittergold have a similar story.

So the answer is that neither and both are true.

I was wondering that myself. Was hoping to get an answer one way or another, but the deliberate vagueness and contradictory tales does fit within dnd well

Calthropstu
2018-08-28, 10:26 AM
There's also a tale that Lucifer was once ruler of the 9 hells and was deposed by Asmodeus.

This was picked up by Frog God Games who ported it into Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/devil/devils-unique/devil-lucifer-prince-of-darkness-tohc/)

umbergod
2018-08-28, 11:41 AM
There's also a tale that Lucifer was once ruler of the 9 hells and was deposed by Asmodeus.

This was picked up by Frog God Games who ported it into Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/devil/devils-unique/devil-lucifer-prince-of-darkness-tohc/)

I read that as well, tho only in a non-canon dragon mag issue, and Elminster in Hell. So many contradictions!

Calthropstu
2018-08-28, 11:44 AM
I read that as well, tho only in a non-canon dragon mag issue, and Elminster in Hell. So many contradictions!

To be fair, it's cool that it gives us the highest statted creature in pathfinder.

Vertharrad
2018-08-28, 11:27 PM
Asmodeus is not the first ruler of hell. Who is? Depends on what edition and what world your in. Because different authors want to be unique they can't agree on certain commonalities. Copyright propably also comes into it. I've also read the Lucifer thing somewhere...might have been one of the fiend books in 3.5.