PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warpriest Build, Advice and Feedback

ajp1011
2018-08-28, 11:36 AM
Hey Guys,

I've built a Warpriest for the first time, just wanted some feedback on the build, and maybe some advice on Magic Items to look out for as I progress.

Tsadok, Chosen of the Inheritor, Slayer of Horguk Skullcrusher, Friend of the Dwarves, and Warpriest of Iomadae
Race: Half-Orc
Alignment: Lawful Good
Role: Tank/Caster Hunter

Ability Scores (20 Point Buy)
Str (16) 20 +1 at levels 8, 12, 16, and 20
Dex (12) 12
Con (14) 14
Int (10) 10
Wis (15) 18 +1 at level 4, +2 Half-Orc
Cha (7) 7

Half-Orc Racial Traits
Darkvision 60'
(Alt) Sacred Tattoo
(Alt) Shaman's Apprentice
Orc Blood
Weapon Familiarity

Traits (My GM gave me these for free for my backstory)
(faith) Fate's Favored
(regional) Ancestral Weapon

Feats
from Shaman's Apprentice - Endurance
Warpriest Weapon Focus - Greatsword
1 - Power Attack
3 - Diehard
3B - Step Up
5 - Combat Reflexes
6B - Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
7 - Maximize Spell
9 - Lunge
9B - Disruptive
11 - Quicken Blessing
12B - Greater WS (Greatsword)
13 - Heroic Defiance
15 - Heighten Spell
15B - Penetrating Strike
17 - Persistent Spell
18B - Greater Penetrating Strike
19 - Spell Perfection

Blessings (Goddess Iomadae)
War
Good

Most of my skills are getting dumped into Spellcraft and Perception with a few to spare just for class skill bonuses (only getting 3 per level with the favored class bonus)

Strategy is basically: Get up in the face of enemy casters as quick as possible to take advantage of step up and lunge and disruptive to neutralize them, using fervors to buff and cast a few utility spells on the way in (Divine Favor/Bull's Strength/Ironskin etc).

Items
Ancestral Weapon is a Cold Iron Greatsword
Wearing Full Plate <-- GM also ruled I can take off most of the full plate at night leaving only the Breastplate (medium armor) which I can sleep in thanks to Endurance Feat, so that's nice!
Pick up some Pearls of Power early on to help with casting ability
Obviously Strength and AC enhancing items where I can get some

Backstory for those that are interested:

Tsadok was born to a human mother, a priestess of Iomadae, named Katyna. Katyna was a slave of a demon worshiping warband of the Skittering Ravagers tribe in the Hold of Belkzen. Tsadok's father was the chief of the warband, a brutal Orc Barbarian named Horgok Skull Crusher. Tsadok's early years were difficult as he was not fully accepted by the other slaves, nor by his full-blooded brethren. His mother though raised him in the ways of the Goddess Iomadae, and taught him to look for good in the world, even when all around him was darkness.

Tsadok's mother died when he was only 8 years old, after which he was quickly taken in by the tribe's shaman. No less a savage then the other orcs in the tribe, but possessing an unusual intelligence, the shaman Chomaga saw a great potential in the young half-orc. The shamanic training was as arduous as anything else the orc warriors went through, but it had the benefit of keeping him isolated, and protected from his full-blooded brethren.

Alone on a mountainside on his 14th birthday, Tsadok prayed to Iomadae over the grave of his mother and a great wheel of light appeared before him. The celestial manifestation spoke and told him that he had been chosen as a warrior of Iomadae, and that he must slay his father, the chief, Horgok Skull Crusher.

He walked steadfastly back to the orc encampment and into the war tent of the chief. He stepped forward and challenged the powerful barbarian to single combat for rule of the tribe. Horgok laughed and taking his Greatsword charged his son. The battle was hard but when the dust settled a beaten and battered Tsadok stood over the corpse of his father.

Taking the ancestral sword, Tsadok removed his father's head and held it up for all to see. He then ordered the tribe to disband by order of the goddess Iomadae. Many of the orcs found new homes in neighboring bands of the Skittering Ravagers. History tells that the whole of the tribe met its end shortly after in an ill-advised attack on Skull Hill, though rumor has it Chomaga still roams the foothills, having predicted the coming destruction.

Tsadok left the Hold of Belkzen with many of the plundered riches the warband had accumulated, traveling South toward Taldor where his mother was from. He found shelter in a small dwarven village where he was welcomed as a hero, slayer of the Orc Horguk Skull Crusher. The dwarves crafted a beautiful set of full plate armor for him and added magical enchantments to his Greatsword, before he set off to continue his journey.

Tsadok now roams the land seeking out injustice and evil, and bringing it to heel. He has a special hatred for demons and the arcane, after having witnessed many dark rituals in his old warband.

EDIT: Changed all references of Greataxe to Greatsword per Kyrell's suggestion

Kyrell1978
2018-08-28, 11:58 AM
If you're not married to the Great axe you could go with something that has a better threat range (a greatsword does nearly identical damage with a better threat range) and slap a keen on it, or go with the butchering axe for the x3 threat with a normal damage of 3d6 instead of the d12. I love the backstory. The whole thing looks solid to me.

ajp1011
2018-08-28, 12:12 PM
If you're not married to the Great axe you could go with something that has a better threat range (a greatsword does nearly identical damage with a better threat range) and slap a keen on it, or go with the butchering axe for the x3 threat with a normal damage of 3d6 instead of the d12. I love the backstory. The whole thing looks solid to me.

Thanks!

As for the Greataxe thing, originally I had intended to go with an Orc Double Axe, but the Ancestral Weapon Trait requires the weapon cost less the 500 (base before adding the cold iron or silver enhancement) and a MWK Orc Double I believe comes out to 660 (i was doing this math completely wrong).

For the Butchering Axe I would need a strength of 19 to start, I won't have 19 strength until Level 16, also I would need to drop a feat for exotic weapon proficiency, unless that's counted as an "orc" weapon. (is it?)

Greatsword would be viable, and now I'm actually considering that suggestion, Axe seemed better in my head for flavor but with the ability to pop keen on it early on with just a use of the sacred weapon ability would be pretty nice... 17-20 crit range on a keen greatsword...

EDIT: Ya I think I will go with a Greatsword... And if my GM allows the Butchering Axe to count as an Orc Weapon I might retool the Ability scores a bit and take that (flavor wise it would be beautiful)... Also noticed the Orc Hornbow, which I'm definitely gonna grab now, while trying to find RAW on the orc weapon ruling.

EDIT 2: Ya that's a hard NO from the GM...

Kyrell1978
2018-08-28, 05:46 PM
Thanks!

As for the Greataxe thing, originally I had intended to go with an Orc Double Axe, but the Ancestral Weapon Trait requires the weapon cost less the 500 (base before adding the cold iron or silver enhancement) and a MWK Orc Double I believe comes out to 660 (i was doing this math completely wrong).

For the Butchering Axe I would need a strength of 19 to start, I won't have 19 strength until Level 16, also I would need to drop a feat for exotic weapon proficiency, unless that's counted as an "orc" weapon. (is it?)

Greatsword would be viable, and now I'm actually considering that suggestion, Axe seemed better in my head for flavor but with the ability to pop keen on it early on with just a use of the sacred weapon ability would be pretty nice... 17-20 crit range on a keen greatsword...

EDIT: Ya I think I will go with a Greatsword... And if my GM allows the Butchering Axe to count as an Orc Weapon I might retool the Ability scores a bit and take that (flavor wise it would be beautiful)... Also noticed the Orc Hornbow, which I'm definitely gonna grab now, while trying to find RAW on the orc weapon ruling.

EDIT 2: Ya that's a hard NO from the GM...

It says its a creation of orc smith's but I didn't find a hard ruling on the butchering axe.

ajp1011
2018-08-28, 05:51 PM
It says its a creation of orc smith's but I didn't find a hard ruling on the butchering axe.

Me either, my GM is going with a literal interpretation though, the weapon MUST have "orc" in it's title to qualify. That's fine though, I'm liking the greatsword option anyway.