PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: scribing scroll

Scottlang
2018-08-28, 04:15 PM
How many spells can a caster scribe in one day?

Zsaber0
2018-08-28, 06:02 PM
As long as each additional spell doesn't bring the cost of the scroll over 1000g, you can keep adding spells and craft that scroll in a single day. So if your gm says yes you can have a single scroll with 80 caster level 1, spell level 1 spells on it for 1000 gold. Which take 1 day to craft.

KillianHawkeye
2018-08-28, 09:27 PM
As long as each additional spell doesn't bring the cost of the scroll over 1000g, you can keep adding spells and craft that scroll in a single day. So if your gm says yes you can have a single scroll with 80 caster level 1, spell level 1 spells on it for 1000 gold. Which take 1 day to craft.

Minor Correction: 1000 gold could only get you 40 1st level spells, because their base price is 25 gp each.

Crichton
2018-08-28, 09:42 PM
You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes 2 hours if its base price is 250 gp or less

So, the fastest you can make a scroll is 2 hours, so wouldn't that mean you can't physically make more than 12 in a day, unless you use some timey wimey shenanigans, or there's some other feature that makes it quicker?

KillianHawkeye
2018-08-28, 10:23 PM
Well a scroll can have more than one spell on it, so the trick (at least in 3.5) was that you could craft a bunch of cheap spells onto one scroll and get them all done in a day if the price didn't exceed 1,000 gp.

I just noticed that Pathfinder seems to have plugged this loophole, however, and that each spell scribed onto a scroll is considered a separate crafting even if they're on the same scroll.

Time Required Scribing a scroll requires 1 day per 1,000 gp of the base price. Although an individual scroll might contain more than one spell, each spell must be scribed as a separate effort, meaning that no more than 1 spell can be scribed in a day.

So it looks like you can craft up to four cheap scrolls in a day (there's still an 8 hour maximum that you can spend per day crafting magic items), but not any more than that.

I'm still transitioning from 3.5 over to Pathfinder so there are a lot of little things that I haven't realized are different yet. :smallsigh:

Palanan
2018-08-28, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye
I'm still transitioning from 3.5 over to Pathfinder so there are a lot of little things that I haven't realized are different yet.

It never ends.

:smallsigh:

Zsaber0
2018-08-28, 11:33 PM
Minor Correction: 1000 gold could only get you 40 1st level spells, because their base price is 25 gp each.

That's to buy. Half that too craft.

KillianHawkeye
2018-08-29, 07:42 AM
That's to buy. Half that too craft.

Yeah, but the time it takes is based on the market price. One day per 1,000 gp in value, not in cost to create.

Zsaber0
2018-08-29, 09:49 AM
Yeah, but the time it takes is based on the market price. One day per 1,000 gp in value, not in cost to create.

I think I've been crafting wrong for 10 years.

Psyren
2018-08-29, 09:59 AM
It never ends.

:smallsigh:

Now you feel my pain :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

And we'll have to do this all again in P2!

KillianHawkeye
2018-08-29, 07:18 PM
And we'll have to do this all again in P2!

Hey, my group just finally started playing Pathfinder like a year or so ago. I'm not ready for a whole new edition of it yet!

Crake
2018-08-29, 07:36 PM
So it looks like you can craft up to four cheap scrolls in a day (there's still an 8 hour maximum that you can spend per day crafting magic items), but not any more than that.

I'm still transitioning from 3.5 over to Pathfinder so there are a lot of little things that I haven't realized are different yet. :smallsigh:

I'm like, 90% sure that this was already a rule in 3.5, because I've been doing scroll crafting like that, and remember that line quite clearly long before I ever looked at a pathfinder book

Leo_0210
2018-08-30, 09:25 AM
according to my digging, the CRB was never errata'd to change scroll creation from the 1 spell per day limit. It's explicitly written in the "time Required" section when it says
Although an individual scroll might contain more than one spell, each spell must be scribed as a separate effort, meaning that no more than 1 spell can be scribed in a day. which is really disappointing considering that i have been crafting my scrolls wrong for quite some time... There's a part of me that says don't tell the GM but the Rules Lawyer in me says its only fair to play by the rules if everyone plays by the rules, and i'd want to know.