PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make an item truly inseparable from you?

magicalmagicman
2018-08-28, 06:37 PM
Closest I got is Warforged component but if you're disabled it can be removed.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-28, 06:43 PM
Closest I got is Warforged component but if you're disabled it can be removed.Do my Let Me Touch Your Skin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook/page11&p=23285432#post23285432) trick, and add the called armor property to it. Add the -2 cursed sword effect from the DMG/SRD to ensure it's even more so. And polymorph any object it into aurorum using a device* scroll. And make sure all of its "magical" effects are also crafted from devices. And I'm pretty sure that being part of your body means that having regeneration means it will grow back as it was before, enhancements and all.

Also, the mirror of opposition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) trick to give yourself infinite copies, then keep the original safe.

*Devices are (Ex) "magic" items from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood. Undispellable, undisjunctionable, and work in an antimagic field or dead magic zone and/or plane.

lbuttitta
2018-08-28, 06:56 PM
The DMG contains rules for magical effects which don't take up body slots; the cost is multiplied by 2. I seem to remember reading a variant in some book about creating magic items which don't take up slots and can't be stolen, but I can't remember the source. It doesn't seem to be in either the DMG nor Complete Arcane; perhaps someone can track down the reference.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-28, 07:45 PM
Become an undead and use the warforged component via UMD. If you hit negative hp you're dead at which point theft doesn't matter.

Or get an Illithid or Fleshwarper to graft the item as an improvised weapon into your hand. You need to be a fleshwarper to do it yourself since you need to be an illithid to graft weapons.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-28, 07:59 PM
Become an undead and use the warforged component via UMD. If you hit negative hp you're dead at which point theft doesn't matter.Or be an undead warforged. Or be an undead with a warforged mighty arms graft. They all work.

You could also have an item (like the aforementioned graft) implanted in you after being affected by a permanencied sequester effect. Nobody can see it without a "device," which can technically only be made if your group uses Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood. Add some additional magical effects to a quori embedded shard (Magic of Eberron) or a dukar hand coral (Champions of Valor) or some other implanted item. Might want to watch out for body-swaps, though. A pearl of speech is temporarily absorbed into your body, so you could use that one, as well.

A sequestered ioun stone, maybe?

You could also be a wild shaping druid and invest in some wilding clasps so your items meld with your new form yet remain functional.

Saintheart
2018-08-28, 08:03 PM
Contingent Spells and Rune Magic make spell effects pretty damn hard to separate from you, and runes in particular are created via an [Item Creation] feat, which would render them magic items.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-28, 08:07 PM
If said item has an AoE effect, activate it and place it under an oak tree in a timeless demiplane that nobody but you can access. Then cast acorn of far travel on said oak tree. Then implant the acorn in your body. Now you're affected by it no matter what else happens, so long as you retain your body.

Telonius
2018-08-28, 08:07 PM
For certain values of "you," yes.

- Be an intelligent magic item.

- Die and come back as a ghost; make sure that your piece of "ghostly equipment" had been destroyed prior to dying.

- Be a Kensai Monk, and make "headbutt" your signature weapon.

magicalmagicman
2018-08-28, 08:30 PM
- Die and come back as a ghost; make sure that your piece of "ghostly equipment" had been destroyed prior to dying.

NICE! NICE! NICE!

Okay, what completely annihilates a creature's body and equipment in one attack? Disintegrate leaves equipment unharmed.

Goaty14
2018-08-28, 08:48 PM
NICE! NICE! NICE!

Okay, what completely annihilates a creature's body and equipment in one attack? Disintegrate leaves equipment unharmed.

Rolling a 1 on a REF: Half attack makes the attack also target your equipment. All you have to do is meet a sufficiently optimized evocation wizard and get them to execute you with fireball, and then find a rule that lets you take 1.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-28, 08:56 PM
NICE! NICE! NICE!

Alternatively just wish yourself and your equipment into a ghost.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-28, 08:59 PM
Be a (half-fiend?) dvati fiend of possession and inhabit any equipment you use with one body. That way, you're buffing your preferred piece of equipment. If it's destroyed, just get another one.

Goaty14
2018-08-28, 09:47 PM
Alternatively just wish yourself and your equipment into a ghost.

STOOPID! This is asking the DM to screw over your wish. Instead use the Savage Species wish ritual to make yourself a ghost.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-28, 09:49 PM
STOOPID! This is asking the DM to screw over your wish. Instead use the Savage Species wish ritual to make yourself a ghost.

The two are identical, and I was referencing the savage species rules.

Malapterus
2018-08-28, 09:52 PM
With all due respect to all the people who have put forth their strategies and tactics for this, I would like to humbly provide my humble answer.

magic tattoo

Jack_Simth
2018-08-28, 10:00 PM
NICE! NICE! NICE!

It's the equipment getting stolen that's a problem. Timing of destruction isn't overly relevant. Jump in a lake of lava and wait a bit. You know, assuming you've got something else that says you come back as a ghost.

Edit: However, that doesn't actually prevent theft! It works exactly as normal on the Ethereal plane. Which means someone can meet you there, disable you by whatever non-destructive method, then take the spectral copies.

As far as I'm aware, you can spend Y resources to require that X criteria be met to steal something from you... but you can't make it completely impossible.

magicalmagicman
2018-08-28, 10:18 PM
It's the equipment getting stolen that's a problem. Timing of destruction isn't overly relevant. Jump in a lake of lava and wait a bit. You know, assuming you've got something else that says you come back as a ghost.

Edit: However, that doesn't actually prevent theft! It works exactly as normal on the Ethereal plane. Which means someone can meet you there, disable you by whatever non-destructive method, then take the spectral copies.

As far as I'm aware, you can spend Y resources to require that X criteria be met to steal something from you... but you can't make it completely impossible.

Warforged Components. UMD'd or on construct grafts. Only way to remove them is by putting me at negative hp, at which point I die and rejuvenate later.

Troacctid
2018-08-28, 10:36 PM
Artifact Lord epic destiny.

Soul Transfer (Su): At 27th level, you can transfer your soul to an item when you die. This ability functions once per day. When you are reduced to 0 hit points, choose a magic item you possess. Your body blazes with cold blue light, then transforms into adamantine as the object becomes your soul's new home. As the object you have a fly speed of 30 feet (perfect), though if you transfer into an item your body's wearing, you won't be able to move. You can cast spells in this form, activate the item, and attack with it if it's a weapon (or similar item). Anything you do using this item functions as it normally would, and you still count the bonuses for magic items your body's wearing.

In this form, you can be attacked only as an item, not a creature (mind-affecting effects are an exception). If the item is destroyed, you die.

MeimuHakurei
2018-08-29, 03:07 AM
A -2 Cursed Sword, when stuck to you, is always drawn when you pick up a weapon.

Jack_Simth
2018-08-29, 06:28 AM
Warforged Components. UMD'd or on construct grafts. Only way to remove them is by putting me at negative hp, at which point I die and rejuvenate later.

Not inseparable.

0) I Dispel / Disjoin anything that would prevent the following:
1) I meet you on the Ethereal plane.
2) I get you under my thumb with some suitable spell. Control Undead, maybe.
3) Polymorph Any Object to turn you into a human. You now no longer have the undead type.
4) Dominate Monster so you're still controlled.
5) Beat you to -1 HP. You're no longer undead, so you aren't immediately destroyed by this.
6) Remove component.

Artifact Lord epic destiny.

Su ability. An attacker could do the above stuff so you qualify as a living creature, then cast Ability Rip.

Troacctid
2018-08-29, 10:41 AM
Su ability. An attacker could do the above stuff so you qualify as a living creature, then cast Ability Rip.
That would remove the ability to do it again in the future, but it wouldn't reverse the effect if you're already in the item.

noob
2018-08-29, 11:23 AM
Psionic sandwich.
Or simply be a chicken since chickens are items you are an item and inseparable from yourself.

Telonius
2018-08-29, 01:12 PM
So it's looking like the "Kensai Headbutt" might be the closest to inseparable? Can't be detached (like the "fists" example) without killing you, not subject to Dispel or Disjunction (since it's Su). Being in an AMF would suppress it, but as soon as you're out of the field you'd get it back. The only way you lose it is if you break your oath. That does give the DM room to screw with you (a la falling Paladin), but the it gives you much more control than the other options. There's nothing that Opponent X can do that will permanently deprive you of the item short of beheading you.

noob
2018-08-29, 02:24 PM
So it's looking like the "Kensai Headbutt" might be the closest to inseparable? Can't be detached (like the "fists" example) without killing you, not subject to Dispel or Disjunction (since it's Su). Being in an AMF would suppress it, but as soon as you're out of the field you'd get it back. The only way you lose it is if you break your oath. That does give the DM room to screw with you (a la falling Paladin), but the it gives you much more control than the other options. There's nothing that Opponent X can do that will permanently deprive you of the item short of beheading you.
We can say likewise with being a chicken.
Oh and you forgot your gm could make a monster cast mind swap on you in the case of the kensai but he can do so on a chicken or on anything else who wants to stay with his item.
so being a chicken or a monk or a kensai are all ways to have an item that can not be separated from you except that monks and kensais can with the right item throw their head or body and thus get split from it.
Psionic sandwiching makes you the item thus making you immune to a lot of things that can steal your body(such as mind swap) until you are polymorphed away from your current shape but if you are a deity you are immune to that in a way that can not be removed easily.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-29, 02:30 PM
Psionic sandwiching makes you the item thus making you immune to a lot of things that can steal your body(such as mind swap) until you are polymorphed away from your current shape but if you are a deity you are immune to that in a way that can not be removed easily.Would being a god make you a super sandwich?

Crake
2018-08-29, 05:24 PM
Add the -2 cursed sword effect from the DMG/SRD to ensure it's even more so.

Except you can't "add the -2 cursed sword effect" to anything, because a) making an item -2 causes it to no longer be elidgible for any other enhancements, and b) the -2 cursed sword is a specific weapon with no rules dictating how it's -2 penalty interacts with any other enhancement pricing costs.

A -2 Cursed Sword, when stuck to you, is always drawn when you pick up a weapon.

Except that can still be removed from you with a remove curse spell, so it's not REALLY inseparable.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-29, 05:26 PM
Except you can't "add the -2 cursed sword effect" to anything, because a) making an item -2 causes it to no longer be elidgible for any other enhancements, and b) the -2 cursed sword is a specific weapon with no rules dictating how it's -2 penalty interacts with any other enhancement pricing costs.The interaction point is fair enough, but the MIC has rules on adding item enhancements together. Not sure how they'd interact, but they could be added together, by RAW.

Except that can still be removed from you with a remove curse spell, so it's not REALLY inseparable.But who would know that to try it?

magicalmagicman
2018-08-29, 05:27 PM
Not inseparable.

0) I Dispel / Disjoin anything that would prevent the following:
1) I meet you on the Ethereal plane.
2) I get you under my thumb with some suitable spell. Control Undead, maybe.
3) Polymorph Any Object to turn you into a human. You now no longer have the undead type.
4) Dominate Monster so you're still controlled.
5) Beat you to -1 HP. You're no longer undead, so you aren't immediately destroyed by this.
6) Remove component.

Polymorph Any Object melds the warforged component into my new form, but if you control undead me you could just get me to remove it.

Crake
2018-08-29, 05:48 PM
The interaction point is fair enough, but the MIC has rules on adding item enhancements together. Not sure how they'd interact, but they could be added together, by RAW.

Except it's a specific item, and there are no rules on applying the unique effects of a specific item to other items. Especially when you're adding a -2 cursed sword effect to armor.

But who would know that to try it?

In any sufficiently powerful magical society, they could just use divinations when disarming you, assuming you've been apprehended or the like.

Also, keep in mind, the -2 cursed sword actually requires you to have a weapon available to draw to actually be drawn in it's place. If you're completely disarmed, you're not going to be able to draw the cursed sword from nothing. At that point, it would just be better to use the weapon at hand instead of the cursed sword.

Jack_Simth
2018-08-29, 07:32 PM
That would remove the ability to do it again in the future, but it wouldn't reverse the effect if you're already in the item.
Assuming it's an Instant effect, that just means it also requires Teleport Through Time first (and given that you're invoking a 27th level ability that's web content - purged web content, even - TTT is probably fair game).

However: Instant is an assumption. It's a Su ability that doesn't specify a duration. You're at the mercy of the DM on Permanent vs. Instant (or any other duration, really).

Polymorph Any Object melds the warforged component into my new form, but if you control undead me you could just get me to remove it.
Ah, right. Warforged, then, so it's something you could reasonably be wearing in your new form, and thus doesn't merge. Alternately: Yep, you're right. So still possible to separate you from the item.

Malimar
2018-08-29, 11:29 PM
Also, keep in mind, the -2 cursed sword actually requires you to have a weapon available to draw to actually be drawn in it's place. If you're completely disarmed, you're not going to be able to draw the cursed sword from nothing. At that point, it would just be better to use the weapon at hand instead of the cursed sword.
I wonder if drawing an improvised weapon qualifies. Even when completely disarmed of all items, you can still attempt to draw an improvised club made of poop.