PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic and Scrolls

Pex
2018-08-28, 07:21 PM
Can a Sorcerer use his metamagic for a spell cast from a scroll? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. What page of which book is this clarified either way?

Thanks.

Stygofthedump
2018-08-28, 07:33 PM
I’m thinking yes but away from books. I also think spells “cast” from items qualify..

bid
2018-08-28, 07:34 PM
Metamagic: "You can only use one Metamagic option when you cast it..."
Spell Scroll: "... you can read the scroll and cast its spell ..."

Based on that, it seems possible.

Pex
2018-08-28, 07:46 PM
Thanks. My Sorcerer in one of my games has a big smile on his face.

Asmotherion
2018-08-28, 08:43 PM
I'd rule yes.

Balance Wise: Considering Wizards who get their hands on scrolls can copy it in their spellbook, and then cast it again anytime they wish, Allowing metamagic Aplication to a Scroll has no Balance problem.

Lore Wise: By 3.5 logic of explaining everything overanalitically, Spell Completion implies the spell is static in the scroll, and only needs to be somehow "completed" to come into being; There did however exist some prestige classes and feats that allowed to apply metamagic feats to Wands, Scrolls etc without having been prepared as such. The most direct example I remember was the Hellfire Warlock, but I'm sure there were more.

In any case, I personally take it as a good lore justification to apply metamagic to Magical Items, as long as the DM agrees with you. XD

iTreeby
2018-08-28, 09:46 PM
Get a ring of spell storing.