===
Trident

Cost: 5 gp
Damage: 1d6 piercing
Range: 20/60
Weight: 4 lb.
Special: thrown, versatile (1d8)

===

Overall, not bad... But it doesn't really get a lot of love and you never see builds for it. I feel like this is because of the d6 base damage with one hand. Combine this with the lack of throwing support in general and you have a weapon that gets overlooked.

My idea is to give the Trident its own feat.
===

Trident Mastery

You gain the following benefits.

When you use a trident, its damage die changes from a d6 to a d8, and from a d8 to a d10 when wielded with two hands. (This benefit has no effect if another feature has already improved the weapon’s die.)

You can skewer enemies you kill with your trident and then use that creature as a projectile. When you drop a creature that is no larger than one size bigger than you to 0 HP, you may use a bonus action to skewer that creature. You can used this skewered enemy in 2 ways. As a bonus action you receive a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn as you use the skewered enemy as a shield. This does not stack with the AC bonus from a shield. Additionally, while wielding the trident in 2 hands you may fling the dead enemy at another creature with a range of 20/60. Make a ranged weapon attack with proficiency. This dead creature deals 1d4 + Strength damage on a hit. While skewered you may still use your trident as normal, however it deals bludgeoning damage and the creature falls off after one attack and is unusable. If you use your action to attack a dead body, you can skewer an intact corpse.

Whenever you are wielding a trident and net, you don't take disadvantage on attacks with the net for having creatures within 5' of you.

===

So yeah, really brutal, but then again a trident is a brutal looking weapon (usually). Even Aquaman makes it look brutal (I love JM but he's not my Aquaman)

https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC 8wMjIvODM5L29yaWdpbmFsL2FxbV9jdjNfMDIuanBn

So, what does the playground have?

Lemmy
2018-08-28, 09:34 PM
I really like the feat. The idea of throwing dead enemies at living ones is just too awesome to pass! It should allow for some sort of demoralizing effect as well... I imagine it must be quite scary to see one of your allies impaled at the enemy's weapons and/or thrown at you or one of your allies :smallbiggrin: Perhaps it could work for other piercing polearms to make the feat more versatile?

And now I'll shamelessly present this system for creating custom weapons (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJNynrpwteY3NLoXRMrPXkEdUZMJJxZokWidA16ef_w/edit?usp=sharing). That way everyone gets to make their own, unique orc-kebab . Admittedly, it was designed for 3.5 and Pathfinder, but it still works pretty well for 5e... :smallbiggrin:

R.Shackleford
2018-08-30, 12:37 PM
I really like the feat. The idea of throwing dead enemies at living ones is just too awesome to pass! It should allow for some sort of demoralizing effect as well... I imagine it must be quite scary to see one of your allies impaled at the enemy's weapons and/or thrown at you or one of your allies :smallbiggrin: Perhaps it could work for other piercing polearms to make the feat more versatile?

And now I'll shamelessly present this system for creating custom weapons (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJNynrpwteY3NLoXRMrPXkEdUZMJJxZokWidA16ef_w/edit?usp=sharing). That way everyone gets to make their own, unique orc-kebab . Admittedly, it was designed for 3.5 and Pathfinder, but it still works pretty well for 5e... :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't let spears or other pointy sticks do this as it takes away from how special the trident would be.

Other weapons have their feats and I want to leave this to the trident.

If 5e had a weapon creation system it wouldn't be a bad idea to let other pointy sticks do this... But as is, I would just push to have this feat in a game.

Debihuman
2018-12-25, 08:12 PM

It should require the Fling Ally feat from Races of Stone as a prerequisite as well as the ability to use a net. Note that Fling Ally feat also has a few prerequisites:
"Rock Hurling (RS) (or racial ability to throw rocks) , STR 19, size Large or larger (goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait)."

Debby

Amechra
2018-12-25, 08:38 PM
It should require the Fling Ally feat from Races of Stone as a prerequisite as well as the ability to use a net. Note that Fling Ally feat also has a few prerequisites:
"Rock Hurling (RS) (or racial ability to throw rocks) , STR 19, size Large or larger (goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait)."

Debby

Psst... this is for 5e.

As for the feat... I dunno. I like the idea of flinging enemy corpses around, but I think your execution is a bit clunky.

Debihuman
2018-12-26, 04:56 PM
Psst... this is for 5e.

Sorry about that. I'm not as familiar with 5e and this thiread wasn't marked 5e so I wasn't sure.