PDA

View Full Version : Animate Objects puzzle

Runolfr
2007-09-14, 08:13 AM
Not a "solve this for a cookie" puzzle, but a "what were they thinking?" puzzle.

Why isn't animate objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateObjects.htm) on the wizard/sorcerer spell list? Animating objects is a classic trick for wizards and sorcerers (Fantasia "Sorcerer's Apprentice", anyone?), but someone at Wizards/TSR apparently forgot to make it available to them as a spell. It's restricted to clerics and -- of all caster classes -- bards.

I intend to house-rule it as a wizard/sorcerer spell. Any reason it shouldn't be a Level 6 spell for them?

Zherog
2007-09-14, 08:22 AM
I've also house ruled it to be on the wizard/sorcerer list.

Dhavaer
2007-09-14, 08:52 AM
Quite a bit of fluff (I think I remember something from the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, at least) used to describe wizards as animating objects. Finding out they couldn't was a bit of shock when I checked.

Dausuul
2007-09-14, 09:04 AM
Quite a bit of fluff (I think I remember something from the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, at least) used to describe wizards as animating objects. Finding out they couldn't was a bit of shock when I checked.

Yeah, given that wizards are forever creating golems and such, it's silly that they don't get animate object. I see no issues with putting it on their list.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-14, 09:29 AM
(Fantasia "Sorcerer's Apprentice", anyone?)

Fantasia is a musical, so obviously it belongs on the Bard list. :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2007-09-14, 04:11 PM
I've also house ruled it to be on the wizard/sorcerer list.

Should be 7th level for Sorc/Wiz, one should'nt take the Bards thunder (it is his 6th level spell).

Kaelik
2007-09-14, 05:34 PM
Should be 7th level for Sorc/Wiz, one should'nt take the Bards thunder (it is his 6th level spell).

And what of the Cleric?

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-22, 07:37 AM
What of the cleric?

There shouldn't be a problem house-ruling it in. I mean, wizards are already so broken, one spell wouldn't make a difference.

Kaelik
2007-09-22, 01:21 PM
What of the cleric?

There shouldn't be a problem house-ruling it in. I mean, wizards are already so broken, one spell wouldn't make a difference.

I was referring to the fact that Animate Object is a sixth level spell for Clerics too. And so therefore the Bard has no Thunder to speak of as is. Thus a Wizard would not steal it by having a sixth level spell.