PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Otherworldly and Type Change.

magicalmagicman
2018-08-28, 10:10 PM
I thought about asking this on the simple RAW thread, but this question isn't a simple one!

So the otherworldly feat changes my type to outsider (native).

Templates change your type, like the Ghost Template changes your type to undead.

According to Savage Species's Type Pyramid, outsider and undead are on the same level, at the top, which means they can override each other.

But here's the thing, after you become an undead, you still have the feat! So does the feat turn you into an outsider again? Or what? What happens? Does the feat become worthless?

Necroticplague
2018-08-28, 10:24 PM
1. The type pyramid was descriptive, not prescriptive. It was noting the way things usually work, not ruling that they work that way.

Otherwise, the inclusion of Incarnate Construct in that same book would be incredibly baffling.

2. Even if it was, it's 3.0, and thus irrelevant for the modern 3.5 era.

3. The feat makes you an outsider. As long as you continue to qualify for the feat, you get its benefit. In this case, as long as you remain of the appropriate race, you remain an Outsider.

Also, those with otherwordly can't become ghosts, since that template can't be applied to outsiders.

magicalmagicman
2018-08-28, 10:39 PM
3. The feat makes you an outsider. As long as you continue to qualify for the feat, you get its benefit. In this case, as long as you remain of the appropriate race, you remain an Outsider.

Also, those with otherwordly can't become ghosts, since that template can't be applied to outsiders.

What if you acquired the feat by Celestial-Attended-Birth Regional background? It overrides the requirement.

And nice catch about the template requirements. I'll just have to use Embrace the Dark Chaos to turn it into an abyssal heritor feat, and then change it back with miracle once I acquire the ghost template.

Necroticplague
2018-08-28, 10:54 PM
What if you acquired the feat by Celestial-Attended-Birth Regional background? It overrides the requirement.
No, it doesn't. it satisfies it, in the same way Desert Wind Dodge satisfies the prerequisites for things requiring Dodge as a prerequisite.Either way, you just have to keep the regional background to qualify for the reagonal feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-28, 11:09 PM
Now what happens if someone takes both Human Blood (or Human Heritage) and Otherworldly?

Zaq
2018-08-29, 12:12 AM
Now what happens if someone takes both Human Blood (or Human Heritage) and Otherworldly?

They become a 10th-level Dragon Disciple.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-29, 12:43 AM
They become a 10th-level Dragon Disciple.Don't forget Dragonwrought.

I'm pretty sure there's a half-kobold in Dragon somewhere. Can you have three types simultaneously?

Khedrac
2018-08-29, 03:07 AM
It's worth remembering that there are a few monsters out there that have both "Undead" and "Outsider" in their type entry, thus there is no issue with a outsider becoming undead - they retain both traits.

magicalmagicman
2018-08-29, 03:43 AM
It's worth remembering that there are a few monsters out there that have both "Undead" and "Outsider" in their type entry, thus there is no issue with a outsider becoming undead - they retain both traits.

Could you give an example?

Khedrac
2018-08-29, 04:42 AM
Could you give an example?

I'm at work and away from books so I cannot remember any at the moment but I am reasonably confident that there is at least one.

Necroticplague
2018-08-29, 06:02 AM
I'm at work and away from books so I cannot remember any at the moment but I am reasonably confident that there is at least one.

I highly doubt so, giv n how a creature can only have one type. Sure, there is definitely Undead (Augmented Outsider), but not Undead Outsider. That makes as much sense as a Magical Beast Animal.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-29, 06:04 AM
I highly doubt so, giv n how a creature can only have one type. Sure, there is definitely Undead (Augmented Outsider), but not Undead Outsider. That makes as much sense as a Magical Beast Animal.The latter apparently happens to any animal with a +2 headband of intellect, since any animal with a 3+ Int is a magical beast but doesn't actually change type to get there.

Necroticplague
2018-08-29, 06:22 AM
The latter apparently happens to any animal with a +2 headband of intellect, since any animal with a 3+ Int is a magical beast but doesn't actually change type to get there.

? Source for the bolded statement? While this is a well-known dysfunction for it to have no creature type, because of this:

Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).,I'm not seeing anything that indicates the bold.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-29, 06:28 AM
? Source for the bolded statement? While this is a well-known dysfunction for it to have no creature type, because of this:

I'm not seeing anything that indicates the bold.It's more induction than anything. Templates that grant +Int to animals always end up as magical beasts when applied to them, but there is nothing stating anything (aside from what you quoted) when you add Int in any other way.