PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-14, 10:31 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if there's any knowledge about this game other than what's in the videos. There's two big things I've noticed so far:
1. Rocket turret. This was in TF1, but it was an upgrade of a normal turret. I wasn't aware that the upgrading was still in.
2. In the 'Meet the Soldier' video, the soldier talking to the 'recruits' says that somebody used their fight money to buy two of every animal. I think this might suggest unlocks that are purchased for each round.

So, anyone else have contributions?

Hermit
2007-09-15, 04:25 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if there's any knowledge about this game other than what's in the videos. There's two big things I've noticed so far:
1. Rocket turret. This was in TF1, but it was an upgrade of a normal turret. I wasn't aware that the upgrading was still in.
2. In the 'Meet the Soldier' video, the soldier talking to the 'recruits' says that somebody used their fight money to buy two of every animal. I think this might suggest unlocks that are purchased for each round.

So, anyone else have contributions?

There's a fiar bit of info tucked away in previews and the like. The main thing to note is that they're trying to make each class mroe unique, and as a side effect of this there are no grenades ingame.

Expect to know a lot more from Monday when the beta kicks off.

Zenthar
2007-09-15, 07:17 AM
When will it come out?

Arang
2007-09-15, 08:18 AM
What I have gathered so far:

The beta is out this Monday for everyone who's preordered the Orange Box off Steam.

Grenades are out except for the ones the Demoman can launch, so obviously no more concjumping. The Scout gets double-jump as compensation.

The classes are the same as before, armor is gone and health varies from Medic's 75 (I think) to Heavy's 300.

The Heavy, Soldier and Sniper are pretty much unchanged and need no further explanation.

The Demoman has his grenade launcher and no detpacks, even though it was shown in one of the trailers.

Pyro is supposedly majorly beefed up and all but unbeatable in close quarters.

The Engineer can no longer blow his constructions up for damage. He can remove them, though.

The Scout runs twice as fast, equally fast in all directions and counts for two people when he's capturing points.

The Medic is supposed to be a beast at melee combat, and he has an ability where, if he heals enough, he and the person he is healing will get invulnerability for a short time. Fairly obviously great together with Pyros.

The 6th Side
2007-09-17, 09:56 AM
Okay, it's monday, I've pre-ordered the Orange Box, how'd I get TF2 beta up and runing?

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-17, 10:00 AM
The beta hasn't started yet AFAIK

The 6th Side
2007-09-17, 10:02 AM
The beta hasn't started yet AFAIK

Oh lame, do ya know when it starts?

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-17, 10:05 AM
Uhh, Today. Don't know any closer than that :/
:edit:

DigiQ8: So we in the HL2net steam channel are wondering, when you guys gonna unlock TF2? What time exactly?
Greg: Late in the day. We're not saying an exact time, unfortunately.

DigiQ8: So no 12AM release?
Greg: No - late in the day.

Amalith
2007-09-17, 07:20 PM
Ya, TF2 Beta stil not up, no clue how to get it. Valve's forums are down possibly from the TF2 beta commotion, and I'm sitting here waiting to get some info.

TF2's going to be great.

Though it may seem like it's a dely, it's perfectly on schedual. Valve Time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time) states that it is either coming out at 11:59 PST, or early tuesday. I just need to find the official wording to find out which.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-17, 11:28 PM
The TF2 preload just updated, I'm thinking the beta starts soon.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-18, 01:31 AM
Doublepost, but the TF2 beta is officially on!
:edit: of course, it fails to run currently, hopefully that gets fixed.

Hermit
2007-09-18, 06:58 AM
Been playing for a few hours this morning and I absolutely love it.
I really like all the detailled stat tracking too. Tend to play as either scout or soldier, but I'll jump to heavy sometimes if we're defending.

The 6th Side
2007-09-18, 09:52 AM
It's unlocking game files or sompthing :smallconfused:. I cant wait for this! I hope my comp can run it >.>

Tekraen
2007-09-18, 11:17 AM
Been playing for a few hours this morning and I absolutely love it.
I really like all the detailled stat tracking too. Tend to play as either scout or soldier, but I'll jump to heavy sometimes if we're defending.

I was a big medic/pyro player back in my TFC days. Can't wait 'til this gets released.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-18, 11:56 AM
Mmm, good times, I did a bit of pyro, soldier, medic, heavy, and engineer. I got the most out of engineer, nothing like beating up a spy with your wrench as he runs around sapping the 5-odd sentry turrets at the last point.

Tekraen
2007-09-18, 12:30 PM
Mmm, good times, I did a bit of pyro, soldier, medic, heavy, and engineer. I got the most out of engineer, nothing like beating up a spy with your wrench as he runs around sapping the 5-odd sentry turrets at the last point.

I'd manage to run into the other team's spawn and infect everybody. It was a tossup between that and rocket-jumping/orbital bombardment.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-18, 02:16 PM
Medics can't give people AIDS anymore, but they do have a syringe gun thing.

Also, spy is my new favorite, there's something about tricking an enemy medic into healing you before killing him that is awesome.

Om
2007-09-18, 04:15 PM
TF2 still isn't out? its no exaggeration to say that I've been hearing about this for years now :smallconfused:

Hermit
2007-09-18, 04:50 PM
TF2 still isn't out? its no exaggeration to say that I've been hearing about this for years now :smallconfused:

No, TF2 finally IS out, and its highly entertaining.

I'd have to say Well is my fave map at the moment. Watching a bunch of people get mowed down by a passing train is never going to get old :p
Also ctf_2Fort is good fun too.

Amalith
2007-09-18, 11:07 PM
Got into the beta this afternoon, and it rocks. You seem to have to go to the history tab to find any games (which is strange, and could just be me)

Pyro and Engineer are fun. I also like the spy. Verf fun, but I still dislike the lack of grenades (I know the demoman only has grenade launchers, but I don't like having to use nades, just use them around corners and stuff)

Hermit
2007-09-19, 02:27 AM
Got into the beta this afternoon, and it rocks. You seem to have to go to the history tab to find any games (which is strange, and could just be me)

I think there's just some little bug in the browser. Usually if I click 'Stop Refresh', then refresh the list again, all the servers turn up.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-19, 10:04 AM
Since it exists, Here's my TF2 stats (http://steamcommunity.com/id/NEOFyte/stats/TF2).

Spy is officially my favorite class, there's just so much fun to be had! Like backstabbing a heavy while an enemy medic is healing you, and when you run off to hide, the medic follows and keeps healing you. And then there's 'how the hell did I pull that off' moments, like managing to solo a pair of heavies and a medic, and the endless joy of running around sapping enemy dohinkies, going for a backstab against the troublesome types, then zeroing in for a revenge kill. A shame Friendly Fire was off, our spies were mimicking engies so much they started taking potshots to check for spies.

Azuroth
2007-09-19, 02:34 PM
My stats (http://steamcommunity.com/id/azuroth/stats/TF2)
This game is fun in a way that no multiplayer FPS has been fun since TFC. Quake Wars came close, but it's not TF2. :smallbiggrin:

Hermit
2007-09-19, 06:01 PM
Stats (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969255418/stats/TF2)

I really can't think of any other online multiplayer game which balances random carnage and objective gameplay this well. As you can see, I'm really liking the Soldier at the moment, and I tend to flit between the other classes as circumstances require it.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-21, 08:59 PM
Does the game use Source? I have a pretty crappy computer, but it runs HL2 fine- can I play TF2?

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-21, 09:00 PM
Does the game use Source? I have a pretty crappy computer, but it runs HL2 fine- can I play TF2?

Yeah, its built on the Source engine.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-21, 10:36 PM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's great to hear! I've been waiting for Portal for a while, and when looking at the jaw-dropping graphics in TF2 I was convinced that it wasn't Source and I wouldn't be able to play it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Valve has done one hell of a freakin' fantastic job optimizing Source. It can run on nearly any computer with good FPS.