PDA

View Full Version : The Adventurer with No Name (Battlemaster Crossbow Expert)

prototype00
2018-08-29, 12:39 AM
So, inspired a bit by westerns (and Overwatch’s McCree if I’m to be perfectly honest.) I was was wanting to make an AL legal Battlemaster Fighter Hand Crossbow expert.

The following, I gather, are important:

1- Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, then max Dex by 8th Level.

2- Precision strike and Menacing Attack for maneuvers, but any recommendation for the 3rd one?

3. I’ll probably have some means of perma flight by the beginning of T2 (hooray DM rewards!) but besides a magical hand Crossbow any other equipment recommendations?

4. Always narrate actions in character like a spaghetti western. Check.

Any other advice?

dragoeniex
2018-08-29, 10:58 PM
Don't forget, you'll have two additional maneuvers by lv 7 for a total of five! That in mind, my recommendations are:

Pushing attack or trip attack - positioning enemies. The first lets you blow a target across the hall- preferably over a bar stool- and the second lets you shoot someone down. Knee-capping flavor is great for land fights, but when you shoot a wyvern to the ground because it dared try flying away from you, you'll feel like a true enforcer of the law... of gravity.

Riposte - show your grit. Some uppity varmint just missed you with his sword? Well, you ain't planning on missing this fine opportunity. You let him swing wide and deliver a point-blank shot to his gut for the effort.

Disarming strike - hands in the air. Shoot a weapon, macguffin, or the last piece of cornbread out of a rival's dirty paw. Not always optimal at a distance, since the cornbread weapon lands at your enemy's feet, but gets more than a mite better with a comrade nearby to scoop up the dropped prize. 'Course, you and your fancy crossbow experting don't mind being up close and personal neither.

prototype00
2018-08-30, 01:48 AM
Don't forget, you'll have two additional maneuvers by lv 7 for a total of five! That in mind, my recommendations are:

Pushing attack or trip attack - positioning enemies. The first lets you blow a target across the hall- preferably over a bar stool- and the second lets you shoot someone down. Knee-capping flavor is great for land fights, but when you shoot a wyvern to the ground because it dared try flying away from you, you'll feel like a true enforcer of the law... of gravity.

Riposte - show your grit. Some uppity varmint just missed you with his sword? Well, you ain't planning on missing this fine opportunity. You let him swing wide and deliver a point-blank shot to his gut for the effort.

Disarming strike - hands in the air. Shoot a weapon, macguffin, or the last piece of cornbread out of a rival's dirty paw. Not always optimal at a distance, since the cornbread weapon lands at your enemy's feet, but gets more than a mite better with a comrade nearby to scoop up the dropped prize. 'Course, you and your fancy crossbow experting don't mind being up close and personal neither.

I reckon you be on to something ‘dere, partner!

Riposte is unfortunately Melee only, otherwise perfect. But the other suggestions are 24k gold.

dragoeniex
2018-08-30, 02:36 AM
Shucks, I'm just glad to be of service.

Heh, I'd forgotten that on riposte. But I'll admit, with crossbow expert, I was picturing it point-blank in melee range anyway. Seems like it would be fine to allow within a 5-foot range restriction, though DM may vary.

Happy trails!

Vogie
2018-08-30, 07:50 AM
You may want to consider:

Pushing Attack: In case you need to knock someone off a roof.
Trip Attack: to shoot flying things down
Maneuvering Attack: Cover fire!
Goading attack: Pick on someone your own size.

Tavern Brawler - because of course. Also gives you the ability to throw bar stools or chickens 20/60 ft.
Mounted Combatant
Magic Initiate - choosing spells just to augment the feel of the west:

Cleric: Thaumaturgy (booming voice, blast saloon door open, and a faux-tumbleweed effect), Spare the Dying (hang in there partner), & Bless (I'm just Lucky, that's all).
Wizard: Feather Fall (hoo boy, that drop nearly got me), Create Bonfire (Gather 'round, boys), & Minor Illusion (Look! A snake! ... I'm just kidding)
Druid: Druidcraft (put out the campfire - saddle up!), Move Earth (I'll bury 'em), Goodberry (Here, have a bite)
Bard: Vicious Mockery (distracting insults), Friends (to make them ignore insults), Heroism (You'll have to do better than that)
Warlock: Hex (I've got my eyes on you), Prestidigitation (gotta keep everything clean), True Strike (Mostly used for Darts)

Equipment: Either of the Horseshoes, Rod of Alertness, anything that gives a haste effect, Cloak of Displacement