PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Do feats that enhance spells enhance infusions?

gogogome
2018-08-29, 02:42 AM
Ever since that RAW question in the simple RAW thread, the answer to this has been bugging me like crazy.

On one hand, artificers qualify for PrCs that advance spellcasting as long as their prerequisite doesn't specify arcane or divine.
On the other hand, time and time again the books explicitly say infusions are not spells. And feats like Augment Summoning, spell focus, spell penetration, and eschew materials specify that they modify spells.

Does anyone happen to know if there is a rule that directly says feats that boost spells boost infusions? I've been tearing through the eberron books to no avail.

magicalmagicman
2018-08-29, 02:12 PM
Yes.

In player's guide to eberron it explicitly says an epic artiifcer can grab the improved spell capacity feat. So combine the fact that they function like spells, they follow all the rules for spells, prestige classes that advance spellcasting work with artificers, infusions have spell schools, and feats that only work on spells such as metamagic and improved spell capacity work with infusions, I think it's clear that spell focus, penetration, augment summoning, and the like work on infusions.

gogogome
2018-08-29, 03:08 PM
I guess that makes sense?

If you look at metamagic and improved spell capacity feats as an example or as a result of infusions functioning like spells instead of those being an explicit special interaction I guess that makes sense?

Oh well, I guess that's as close to RAW as you can get.

Necroticplague
2018-08-29, 07:16 PM
Yes. The relevant text is one of the first lines of the ability

Infusions are neither arcane nor divine; they are drawn from the artificer infusion list (see Chapter 5: Magic). They function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells. For example, an infusion can be dispelled, it will not function in an antimagic area, and an artificer must make a Concentration check if injured while imbuing an item with an infusion.
So, since they function just like spells, they can be enhanced as if they were spells. Otherwise, the infusion wouldn't be following the rules for spells, which Infusions specifically notes they do.

lbuttitta
2018-08-29, 08:38 PM
There are several instances of subsystems in which effects are states as "functioning just like spells and following all the rules for spells" but which are explicitly called out as not being spells. Why, precisely, D&D chose to do that will remain unknown. But, to answer your question, yes: because they follow all the rules for spells, they can be modified by effects that modify spells.

Telonius
2018-08-30, 05:39 AM
There are several instances of subsystems in which effects are states as "functioning just like spells and following all the rules for spells" but which are explicitly called out as not being spells. Why, precisely, D&D chose to do that will remain unknown. But, to answer your question, yes: because they follow all the rules for spells, they can be modified by effects that modify spells.

I believe that's done to make them incompatible with other classes. Wizards can't put infusions into their spellbooks, Sorcerers and Favored Souls can't select them as spells known, etc.