PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to Introduce New Players to D&D (Suggestions Welcome)

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-29, 11:02 AM
Hey everyone, below is a sort of guide I've been writing for myself. I wanted to share it in case some DMs out there could find it helpful. Feel free to tell me what you think and add your own suggestions. If I think they're helpful I'll certainly implement them. The guide is directed at new players, but I think it's helpful for even seasoned veterans meeting up for a Session 0.

NOTE: I've compiled these from a lot of different sources over time. These are things I find helpful. I'm not saying every game should be run this way, it's just something I find helpful.

Player Introductions

D&D Intro for New Players
1. DM narrates the story, and you act as a character with agency.

2. You tell me what you want to do, then I tell you the results.
A. If it's something simple, you might just be able to do it without any serious effort.
B. If I think it requires some amount of skill or luck I'll have you roll a D20 and add relevant modifiers. The number you're looking to beat is called a DC and is set by me based on how hard something would be in the context of the story.
C. Note that whether you roll or not, your actions and conversations will carry consequences for you, the party, and those around
you. Not all of your decisions will greatly affect the story, but some of them certainly will.
D. The world is a complex place. Gather information as you act. If you act impulsively without getting to know NPCs around you or
the situation well, you might find yourself on the side you meant to fight against.

Rules for the Party
1. You all know each other. Let's figure out how.
A. Tell me how you met the person to your right.
B. Tell me about a time when the person to your left got you out of a bad spot or risked something to help you.
C. What was the first adventure/job you all had together?
D. Who do you generally look to for leadership and inspiration?
E. Who would you trust most to steal something from an evil noble?
F. Who would you trust to save your life if you were dying?

2. I'm going to challenge you and play by the rules as much as possible. The game is much more fun and interesting (and much less treacherous) if you work together rather than just thinking about what you can personally do best in a given situation. Whether that's talking or combat, always look for opportunities to help the other party members.

3. No fighting in the party, except in justifiable, unique circumstances. If I find that your fights within the party are becoming a distraction or aren't helping the narrative progress, you'll roll the "power die*" instead of normal damage, which could outright kill the other PC at lower levels.

4. No stealing within the party as a general rule. Once again, there could be a time or place for this, but I'm going to hold you all to a high standard here because it's no fun for anyone most of the time.

*My "power die" is a d6 that has first 6 powers of 2 on it. So your damage could range from 2-64+modifiers. I've found that it dissuades all conflict but the most petty/lighthearted and the most grave/serious. That's a happy place for me as a DM.

Backstory for your Character
1. Who were your parents and how was your relationship with them?
2. Did you attend a formal school or learn a trade?
3. What did you want to be as a kid?
4. Did you meet your goal?
5. Why are you an adventurer now? After all, it's dangerous out there. What's worth risking your life?
6. Where do you see room for yourself to improve?

MagneticKitty
2018-08-29, 06:17 PM
I'm confused what this power dice is...
Threatening to kill the players with other players seems harsh..

Kadesh
2018-08-29, 06:26 PM
Have you tried Lost Mines of Phandelver. Just do that. No. Seriously. Dont do anything else. Play be the rules, maybe pull a few punches to let the story continue, but otherwise, just do LMOP.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-30, 09:14 AM
I'm confused what this power dice is...
Threatening to kill the players with other players seems harsh..

Exactly...so don't fight each other, fight the bad guys. xD I leave it up to my discretion, so if somebody gets slapped once or something it'll just be 1 hp.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-30, 09:15 AM
Have you tried Lost Mines of Phandelver. Just do that. No. Seriously. Dont do anything else. Play be the rules, maybe pull a few punches to let the story continue, but otherwise, just do LMOP.

I have, and it's a great adventure. This is more of a Session 0: Before You Play kind of thing. Teaching players the basics and establishing characters.