PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder If you could get magic items only once in your life time

EldritchWeaver
2018-08-29, 11:59 AM
Let's assume you win the magic mart lottery ticket, which grants you one magic item for every slot and three slotless items, in addition to one magic weapon. You can choose any published item, but no custom ones. The items need a pricetag, so no artifacts. Whichever items you choose, you will never be able to get a chance to get one you haven't chosen. Which magic items will you take? Money is no objection.

zlefin
2018-08-29, 12:46 PM
does never getting a chance to get ones you haven't chosen also preclude wishing for them if you took an item that grants wishes? and what limits will be enforced on wish items?

also, is this for a real world environment, or for a game world environment?

EldritchWeaver
2018-08-29, 01:30 PM
does never getting a chance to get ones you haven't chosen also preclude wishing for them if you took an item that grants wishes? and what limits will be enforced on wish items?

also, is this for a real world environment, or for a game world environment?

Employing any kind of tricks to break the restrictions would only result in no restrictions at all. So for this thought experiment, none of them are allowed to be used. So feel free to employ wish items for other things. And it is for a game world.

ezekielraiden
2018-08-30, 10:30 AM
Is this limited to 3e items, 3.5e, both? Do PF items count? Can I have a custom item made, and if so are there any extra limits on that? E.g. since money is no object and combining multiple items into one costs extra money, I would assume that adding +2 Con bonus to a scarlet and blue sphere Ioun Stone is not kosher, but (to use a PF item) a belt of physical perfection +6 would be okay if PF items are allowed (because it is already an item that exists).

Figure it's best to know the scope of the question before I begin an 87-hour dive into item lists :)

unseenmage
2018-08-30, 10:54 PM
Are Constructs magic items for the purposes of this thread?
Are Intelligent Magic Items still items?

Are alchemical items magic items? (have seen bitter arguements that they are not mundane items because spellcasting requirement to make)
Are special materials of a supernatural nature magic items? (Riverine, Thinaun Steel, Aurorum, etc)

Are permanently affected mundane items magic items? (Shrink Item-ed things, etc)

Quertus
2018-08-30, 11:15 PM
Well, back in 2e, there were a lot cooler items, and 3e's so-called "artifacts" often had prices back then. So, Forgotten Realms, Teleport Through Time back to 2e, answer the question then? :smalltongue:

Also, is this for me, or some theoretical character of unknown class and level?

Also also, does this "curse" preclude obtaining mundane objects or artifacts later? For example, do I need to worry about making sure I have pants, can pick up a fork, etc? And are Wizards boned to never get new scrolls to learn new spells? Everyone unable to drink potions? Etc.

Define published item. Can I or can I not make a +5 Keen Vorpal Merciful Katana, even if that particular combination had never been published, due to the existence of the modular recipe?

Currently, I'm looking at the best option being a Ring of Wishes, to transform into either a) something with more item slots, for the cheese, or b) something that doesn't actually need items, and go Vow of Poverty.

EDIT: oh, and does anything prohibit adding additional enchantments to your items later? Ie, right now, it's a Keen Vorpal sword, but I'll spend money to add Flaming and Ioun Socket later?

EldritchWeaver
2018-08-31, 02:34 AM
Is this limited to 3e items, 3.5e, both? Do PF items count? Can I have a custom item made, and if so are there any extra limits on that? E.g. since money is no object and combining multiple items into one costs extra money, I would assume that adding +2 Con bonus to a scarlet and blue sphere Ioun Stone is not kosher, but (to use a PF item) a belt of physical perfection +6 would be okay if PF items are allowed (because it is already an item that exists).

Figure it's best to know the scope of the question before I begin an 87-hour dive into item lists :)

This is PF thread, so only PF items. Nothing custom made, since then you could have a singular item with basically everything. And that removes effectively all restrictions here.

Are Constructs magic items for the purposes of this thread?
Are Intelligent Magic Items still items?

Are alchemical items magic items? (have seen bitter arguements that they are not mundane items because spellcasting requirement to make)
Are special materials of a supernatural nature magic items? (Riverine, Thinaun Steel, Aurorum, etc)

Are permanently affected mundane items magic items? (Shrink Item-ed things, etc)

Magic items are those, which require the PF craft feats, do not end up being an independent creature, and aren't destroyed by simply using them (basically the applicable ones from here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/)). Slotless items are those, which are not limited by body slots (so e.g. magic tattoos despite being slotless are not affected). Alchemical items don't count, since they don't follow the rules of magic items. Special materials are used mostly used in custom crafting, so only if a published item makes use of them.

Well, back in 2e, there were a lot cooler items, and 3e's so-called "artifacts" often had prices back then. So, Forgotten Realms, Teleport Through Time back to 2e, answer the question then? :smalltongue:

PF only.

Also, is this for me, or some theoretical character of unknown class and level?

That is your choice. You can create several builds if you want as long each build follows the rules.

Also also, does this "curse" preclude obtaining mundane objects or artifacts later? For example, do I need to worry about making sure I have pants, can pick up a fork, etc? And are Wizards boned to never get new scrolls to learn new spells? Everyone unable to drink potions? Etc.

Mundane items can be replenished as usual. I'm excluding single use stuff like scrolls. Every item you can choose can't be destroyed by using it one times too many.

Define published item. Can I or can I not make a +5 Keen Vorpal Merciful Katana, even if that particular combination had never been published, due to the existence of the modular recipe?

Currently, I'm looking at the best option being a Ring of Wishes, to transform into either a) something with more item slots, for the cheese, or b) something that doesn't actually need items, and go Vow of Poverty.

EDIT: oh, and does anything prohibit adding additional enchantments to your items later? Ie, right now, it's a Keen Vorpal sword, but I'll spend money to add Flaming and Ioun Socket later?

Published means that such an item was specifically written out. Or basically, would an uptodate version of this database (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-items-db/)and not restricted by copyright contain this item? If yes, then it's fair game, assuming it follows the restrictions. So no special ordering or combination of items or later upgrading, as that would break the one limitation which prevents that you get everything.

brandnewb
2018-09-01, 10:49 AM
Belt of physical perfection +6
Headband of Mental Superiority +6
Slippers of the Triton
Talons of Leng
Helm of Teleportation
Amulet of mighty fists +5
Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes +7
Wings of Flying
Bracers Armour +8
Goggles Truesite
Mantle of Immortality
Ring of Sustenance
Ring of Regeneration Greater
Spell Resistance +5 mitheril chain shirt
Second Chance, +3 composite bow

So my big questuin is the armour. I am assuming I am lvl 1 in some NPC class. I took spell resistance so that some PC class level one can't wipe me out with one spell.
But avoidence may be the best option. I was thinking greater shadow or etherness armor may be better. I can claim 1 trained rank in stealth, and +3 for the belt. Greater Shadow armor will make me very stealthy.

Mithril shirt because I am not trained in heavy armor, and it is too heavy anyway to have plate.

The mighty fists + mighty strike and Talons of Leng make for a formidible fighter even at level 1.

Ring of Sustenance because not having to sleep or eat is as valuable as anything for survival. I might have at best 1 trained rank in survival.

Thoughts?

Malphegor
2018-09-01, 02:45 PM
Ioun stones are a good one. The one that stops me needing to breathe air preferably. I’ll spend my time in a lake reading a waterproofed book.

EldritchWeaver
2018-09-01, 05:23 PM
When answering the comment, I noticed that I missed one piece in reagrds of the rule. Namely that certain effects may be only provided for certain slots (like belts affecting only physical stats). Since that is just artificially restricting the results, I'll allow changing the slots if required. So the belt could be a headband, too. Just add a comment if you do a reassignment.

Belt of physical perfection +6
Headband of Mental Superiority +6
Slippers of the Triton
Talons of Leng
Helm of Teleportation
Wings of Flying
Bracers Armour +8
Goggles Truesite
Mantle of Immortality
Ring of Sustenance
Ring of Regeneration Greater
Spell Resistance +5 mitheril chain shirt
Second Chance, +3 composite bow

Belt and Headband: The two are basically a standard piece, but not expecting them is foolish.
Slippers of the Triton is interesting. Being able to survive in other environments is a good investment, but breathing underwater seems not the best use for such an item. Necklace of adaptation is probably a better choice, if you can neglect the swim speed.
Talons of Leng are interesting, but seem with the damage die of a d4 a bit underpowered. Taking Improved Critical is a good investment.
Helm of Teleportation: Adding fast travel is a good idea, but doesn't replace your wizard buddy, unless all have that helm.
Amulet of mighty fists: Somewhat overlapping with the talons but I guess, if you could upgrade the latter, you would employ special abilities instead.
Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes: Aren't those an upgrade to the amulet of mighty fists?
Wings of Flying: No more asking the wizard for a fly spell.
Bracers Armour: Improving AC makes sense.
Goggles, Truesight: Knowing where your enemy is is a must.
Mantle of Immortality: Disappointing that it only removes penalties and doesn't prevent old age dying. Not sure if there is a Paizo item, which confers immortality. Looking over other Mantles, the Mantle of Life seems to have a better payoff.
Ring of Sustenance: My personal favorite item.
Ring of Regeneration Greater: There is no greater variant. But the base effect is nice, although normally too expensive.
Spell Resistance +5 mithril chain shirt: Spell Resistance is a double-edged sword. And doesn't help against supernatural stuff. But is a useful defense.
Second Chance, +3 composite bow: Good choice of this special ability. Ranged attacks made more sticky.

So my big questuin is the armour. I am assuming I am lvl 1 in some NPC class. I took spell resistance so that some PC class level one can't wipe me out with one spell.
But avoidence may be the best option. I was thinking greater shadow or etherness armor may be better. I can claim 1 trained rank in stealth, and +3 for the belt. Greater Shadow armor will make me very stealthy.

Mithril shirt because I am not trained in heavy armor, and it is too heavy anyway to have plate.

The mighty fists + mighty strike and Talons of Leng make for a formidible fighter even at level 1.

Ring of Sustenance because not having to sleep or eat is as valuable as anything for survival. I might have at best 1 trained rank in survival.

Thoughts?

The build was deliberately not specified, as a caster has different needs than a martial. So just restricting to a level 1 NPC isn't necessary, but it provided some interesting choices. Otherwise, stealth alone won't help, unless you got HiPS.

Ioun stones are a good one. The one that stops me needing to breathe air preferably. I’ll spend my time in a lake reading a waterproofed book.

Nice utility.

Petrukio
2018-09-01, 07:43 PM

Both the amulet and the body wrap confer enhancement bonuses, and therefore do not stack. (Also, the body wrap only works on one attack a round, not all of them.) Your best bet here is to use the amulet to confer other abilities (flaming, frost, impact, etc).

Bracers Armour +8
Spell Resistance +5 mithril chain shirt

These also do not stack. Worse, whichever one confers the lower armor bonus (the bracers, in this case, +8 versus +9) flat out stops working, so you can't even use this to put special abilities on one and the armor on the other.