PDA

View Full Version : Revised Ranger Archer for Curse of Strahd

Rakoa
2018-08-29, 12:16 PM
I will be playing the Ranger in an upcoming Curse of Strahd campaign and the DM has allowed the use of the Revised Ranger from Unearthed Arcana. I want to play a fairly optimized archer, and I was curious as to the general consensus of Hunter vs. Beast conclave. Which is best for an archer? And if the answer is beast, what beast do you recommend for an archer? I am leaning toward the black bear, myself.

CTurbo
2018-08-29, 12:21 PM
Honestly I'd stick with Hunter. Both Colossus Slayer and Horde Breaker are great for Archers, and the 7th and 11th level features benefit an Archer moreso than a melee Ranger IMO.

Also consider Gloom Stalker which can be an extremely strong archer.

Either way I'd combine at least 5 Rogue levels probably at some point. Hunter/Scout is a great combo as is Gloom Stalker/Assassin

Vekon
2018-08-29, 03:59 PM
Revised Ranger with Gloom Stalker is absolutely nutty. I highly suggest you consider the Gloom Stalker instead of those Hunter or Beast Master. Most of Barovia is a dark, poorly lit hell hole which will make you practically invisible throughout most of your career. Hunter's Mark and Sharpshooter on the first round of combat and watch combat end before your comrades are able to act.

Hunter is easily the better choice between it and Beast Master, though.

CTurbo
2018-08-29, 05:51 PM
Yeah Gloom Stalker 5, then Assasin 5 makes an absolute beast of a stealth character, and an excellent archer in particular