PDA

View Full Version : Oh gads! I came up with an even more horrible one...

samcifer
2018-08-29, 02:58 PM
... Elven accuracy + monk 6 + vengeance paladin +3 for the Vow of Enmity.

Granted this bouild is heavily stat-dependant, but if I could make it (most likely I'd have to go half-elf and choose Charisma for a stat around 11 (with the +2 for 13+) as well as needing 13 strength, but if I could get decent enough stats, that'd be up to 4 attacks per turn rolling 3d20 for each attack. :)

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-29, 03:07 PM
Skip the monk.

Grab GWM (-5 to hit, +10 to damage, to utilize your accuracy) at level 8 and PAM (reach, more AoO, and bonus action attack) at 12. A bit level heavy, but solid.

Ends up being a lot less MAD and will deal a metric s***-ton of damage. The stupidly good accuracy will go well with spell smites like Wrathful Smite.

Yours is more consistent with lower levels, though, since it doesn't need so many feats to work.

samcifer
2018-08-29, 03:11 PM
Skip the monk.

Grab PAM (reach, AoO, and bonus attack) and GWM (-5 to hit, +10 to damage, to utilize your accuracy).

Ends up being a lot less MAD and will deal a metric s***-ton of damage.

But you need to use strength-based weapons for that, right? EA can't be used on STR or CON rolls, only DEX or a mental stat.

Another dea would be to go Shadow Monk 5+ and Shadow Sorc 4+. That would also be less dependant on stats that wouldn't be needed as much (STR, for example).

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-29, 03:15 PM
But you need to use strength-based weapons for that, right? EA can't be used on STR or CON rolls, only DEX or a mental stat.

Another dea would be to go Shadow Monk 5+ and Shadow Sorc 4+. That would also be less dependant on stats that wouldn't be needed as much (STR, for example).

Darn, you're right.

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-29, 03:27 PM
Just realized the workaround to the STR issue is a level into Warlock, which makes your attacks eligible for Elven Accuracy. It would turn the build into a SAD character, maxing out CHA over everything. That, combined with the insane accuracy, increased crit range, and powerful spell smites that are practically guaranteed hits, you'd smite like the friggin' wrath of god.

solidork
2018-08-29, 03:38 PM
Just realized the workaround to the STR issue is a level into Warlock, which makes your attacks eligible for Elven Accuracy. It would turn the build into a SAD character, maxing out CHA over everything. That, combined with the insane accuracy, increased crit range, and powerful spell smites that are practically guaranteed hits, you'd smite like the friggin' wrath of god.

You need at least 3 levels of Warlock before you can use Hex Warrior with a 2h weapon. It's still a pretty decent idea since more Warlock levels gets you other ways to give yourself advantage.

samcifer
2018-08-29, 03:41 PM
You need at least 3 levels of Warlock before you can use Hex Warrior with a 2h weapon. It's still a pretty decent idea since more Warlock levels gets you other ways to give yourself advantage.

Yeah, like the Darkness with Devil's Sight EE.

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-29, 03:46 PM
Darkness + Devil's Sight is a good one.

Dear god, this thing would be terrifying to fight.

[Edit]

Got a calculation on how terrifying. About 27% chance to crit every attack. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/130717/whats-the-chance-of-critting-with-elven-accuracy-as-a-hexblade-warlock-venge)

Paladin "Crit fishing" becomes more like "Crit Counting-to-4". Combined with the spell slot restoration of the Warlock, that's...ugh. Stupid. Just level up Warlock to level 5 (for the extra attack) and now you have 2 3d8 damage smites to "fish" with each rest.

samcifer
2018-08-29, 04:00 PM
Darkness + Devil's Sight is a good one.

Dear god, this thing would be terrifying to fight.

[Edit]

Got a calculation on how terrifying. About 27% chance to crit every attack. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/130717/whats-the-chance-of-critting-with-elven-accuracy-as-a-hexblade-warlock-venge)

Paladin "Crit fishing" becomes more like "Crit Counting-to-4". Combined with the spell slot restoration of the Warlock, that's...ugh. Stupid. Just level up Warlock to level 5 (for the extra attack) and now you have 2 3d8 damage smites to "fish" with each rest.

What about with adding in dual-wielding for a third attack as a bonus action (for a hexblade/vengeance pal)?

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-29, 04:02 PM
What about with adding in dual-wielding for a third attack as a bonus action (for a hexblade/vengeance pal)?

Might as well throw Hex in, because **** the DM.

Just off of some basic guesses, 2 attacks push the chance up to 47 % for a crit. Or 3 attacks with 61%. I think those numbers are correct, but some dice wizard please prove me wrong.

krugaan
2018-08-29, 04:06 PM
If you're higher level, try 5 pal / 14 whisper Bard, 1 hex blade.

Largest crits in the game.

Need advantage? Hellooooo *tensers transformation*

Edit: well, 5/15 would. Be larger crits, but they'd happen less often, so...

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-08-29, 04:19 PM

If you're looking for nova damage this is how I'd do it to be as combat effective as possible at each level. The only level you're really not effective at is first as your strength is probably only at 15.

Paladin 1 Heavy armor
Hexblade 1 Sadness
Paladin 2 Smite
Hexblade 2 darkness+devils' sight,
Hexblade 3 Blade pact allowing gwm with a charisma weapon
Hexblade 4 elven accuracy via asi
Hexblade 5 double smite, 2 attacks, 3rd level short rest slots.
Paladin 3-6 for the aura and ASI where the damage really comes online.

I'd aim for a 12/8 split hexblade/warlock.

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-29, 04:26 PM

Polearm master would provide more benefit, since it means you get your CHA bonuses from the bonus attack as well, on top of AoO for attacks with your reaction for even more stupid.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-29, 04:28 PM
This builds sounds amazingly MAD for not much benefit over a Paladin/Hexblade, hell a Rogue/Hexblade or Whisper Bard/Hexblade would probably do better here too.

samcifer
2018-08-29, 05:01 PM
This builds sounds amazingly MAD for not much benefit over a Paladin/Hexblade, hell a Rogue/Hexblade or Whisper Bard/Hexblade would probably do better here too.

Well, one more efficient way to get triple advantage is any warlock class 2 (for Devil's Sight) / Shadow Monk for all other levels. As a Shadow Monk, you can cast Darkness for 2 ki pts.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-29, 05:21 PM
Well, one more efficient way to get triple advantage is any warlock class 2 (for Devil's Sight) / Shadow Monk for all other levels. As a Shadow Monk, you can cast Darkness for 2 ki pts.
Sure, but Shadow Monk doesn't bring as much to the table for damage output, especially if a good chunk of your Ki is going towards casting Darkness.

Part of what makes Elven Accuracy good is the increased crit chance, which works best when you're rolling more dice. Hexblade alone can already give themselves advantage easily at any tier of play: Darkness + Devil's Sight, Shadow of Moil, and Foresight all handle that very well, becoming more effective each time you move up that ladder.

Monks frankly don't add enough to the combo to be worth multiclassing for, I'd rather stay single class or go for something that actually significantly helps out what I'm trying to do.