PDA

View Full Version : Strange request

Batman45505
2018-08-29, 05:54 PM
Ok so a new dm decided to try something new. He wants us to make level 3 prestige class characters. Heres the kicker, we are a total of 3 levels. He says ignore most requirements for the PC. Just no undead dragon, or epic only.

After the players decided it sounded fun even after I pointed the MANY flaws in the idea they decided to do it anyway.

We have up to a +2 la for races and my wife and I decided since this was an evil campaign, to play our favorite drow race.

I keep running into dead ends with finding no good PC that can stand alone. My wife wants us to both play female drow lovers and wants our classes to mingle. So I explore you for help.

All starting starts are straight 18s plus racial adjustments. My wife opts for swashbuckler or rougeish classes and I casters though play anything.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Miller
2018-08-29, 06:01 PM
So any classes? Or only prestige class levels while ignoring prerequisites? Tons of options if ignoring prerequisites

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-29, 06:05 PM
Nar demon binder and sublime chord leap to mind.

zlefin
2018-08-29, 06:07 PM
How would classes which give a level of your prior spellcasting class work?
and what power/optimization level is your group aiming for? (how cheesy in particular)

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-29, 06:11 PM
Great option for your first 5; master of nine. You'll have to go from there if this whole thing hasn't crashed by then, maybe blood claw master and/or mix the two.

Batman45505
2018-08-29, 06:47 PM
Classes that add spell lvl to existing he said is like a free lvl of spellcasting for the appropriate class. As far as optimization, sky is the limit with triple cheese for flavor. We have to fully finish the PC minus epic continuation then take a regular class

Maat Mons
2018-08-29, 06:47 PM
Master of Shrouds: Summon a shadow 4/day.
Shadowdancer: Pet shadow.
Sublime Chord: 4th-6th level spells, but no lower-level ones.
Trapsmith: Dimension door, gaseous form, haste, knock, and stoneskin.

zlefin
2018-08-29, 08:12 PM
Classes that add spell lvl to existing he said is like a free lvl of spellcasting for the appropriate class. As far as optimization, sky is the limit with triple cheese for flavor. We have to fully finish the PC minus epic continuation then take a regular class

in terms of cheese, with those peculiar settings,
Ur-Priest sounds like a good choice for caster. theurge classes would also work well for awhile, though they'd have issues once you get past 10.

for the other one, I don't have any good ideas;
though arcane trickster would be a decent fallback.
maybe exemplar.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-08-29, 08:52 PM
Master of Many Forms, especially if you use the Divine Minion template to get free-action wild shape at will.

Ur-Priest is an obvious choice.

Suel Arcanamach if you want a gish-type character.

Maat Mons
2018-08-29, 08:53 PM
Classes that add spell lvl to existing he said is like a free lvl of spellcasting for the appropriate class.

Okay, so, when you take Mystic Theurge at 1st level, you can just say "I choose Beholder Mage and Ur Priest as the classes to advance." and then you get dual 9's by 9th level?

Jack_Simth
2018-08-29, 09:30 PM
Problem with Beholder Mage: You have no eyestalks to sacrifice, which is a requirement of the class features rather than the PrC itself. If you're permitted to use the class features anyway, it's STUPIDLY good (how do you feel about 9 spells per round, a Wizard's spells known - including adding spells - with spontaneous casting?)

However:
Sublime Chord (Complete Arcane), Ur-Priest (Complete Divine), or Chameleon (Races of Destiny or online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?page=1&x=dnd/iw/20041210b)).

Sublime Chord starts at 4th & 5th level spells (but nothing below that...), and goes to 9th over the course of it's ten levels, from the Sor/Wiz and Bard lists. With three levels in it, you'd be casting 6th level spells. This is probably your strongest starting option, ignoring beholder mage, but is missing the lower-level utility spells.
Ur-Priest starts at 1st level spells, and goes to 9th over the course of it's ten levels, from the Cleric list. With three levels in it, you'd be casting 3rd level spells. Will have basically all your bread & butter spells.
Chameleon starts at 2nd level spells, and goes to 6th over the course of it's ten levels... but is, essentially, a jack of all trades class; you can mimic many, many things with it. With three levels in it, you'd be casting 3rd level spells.

So mix 'em up.
Pick one of Arcane Heirophant / Fochlucan Lyrist / Mystic Theurge
If Beholder Mage is on the table, have it advance Beholder Mage and Ur-Priest.
If Beholder Mage is NOT on the table, then have it advance Sublime Chord and Ur-Priest.

blackwindbears
2018-08-30, 11:39 AM
Ok so a new dm decided to try something new. He wants us to make level 3 prestige class characters. Heres the kicker, we are a total of 3 levels. He says ignore most requirements for the PC. Just no undead dragon, or epic only.

After the players decided it sounded fun even after I pointed the MANY flaws in the idea they decided to do it anyway.

We have up to a +2 la for races and my wife and I decided since this was an evil campaign, to play our favorite drow race.

I keep running into dead ends with finding no good PC that can stand alone. My wife wants us to both play female drow lovers and wants our classes to mingle. So I explore you for help.

All starting starts are straight 18s plus racial adjustments. My wife opts for swashbuckler or rougeish classes and I casters though play anything.

Thanks in advance.

A few observations:

-Your DM is trying to play some casual game that's high powered.
-It will take these boards all of five minutes to render your DM's game functionally unplayable.
-You making the game unplayable with advice from the internet (proving that you were right about this whole thing) is gonna be fun for precisely nobody.

My suggestion is to peruse some of the "completes" and take advantage of this opportunity to try some class that you never really got a chance to on account of the entrance requirements being a pain in the ass. Hell, I always wanted to try that weird warlock/wizard dual progression class. Maybe your wife takes the warlock/cleric dual progression class.

Kish
2018-08-30, 11:56 AM
A few observations:

-Your DM is trying to play some casual game that's high powered.
-It will take these boards all of five minutes to render your DM's game functionally unplayable.
-You making the game unplayable with advice from the internet (proving that you were right about this whole thing) is gonna be fun for precisely nobody.
This.

If you like playing casters, then my advice is to play a mystic theurge (but advance cleric and sorcerer, don't go out of your way to be obnoxious), or a loremaster (advance sorcerer or wizard), or something similar.

Bronk
2018-08-30, 12:21 PM
You could just take three levels of Dragon Devotee. With another two levels, you'd already have the draconic creature template (stat boosts, claws, senses, etc.), two levels of sorcerer, and be able to take a regular class earlier than with a ten level prestige class. Plus, it certainly wouldn't be overpowered.

Nifft
2018-08-30, 12:44 PM
Looking for strong but not broken stuff, hmm...

Chameleon (RoD) is fun.

Wayfinder Guide (C.Arc) gets you two levels of spellcasting and one daily teleport.

Fist of the Forest is a 3-level class for walking around the woods naked and punching bears. Adding Con to AC is pretty nice when you've got 18 Con -- but NOT a good fit for a Drow, though, so maybe it's not for you.

Fist of Zuoken (XPH / SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm)) gets its own mildly accelerated Psionics progression, but only up to level 5 -- it's kinda like a Monk, except good.

On the subject of Psionics, there's the Pyrokineticist (XPH / SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm)), which is basically a Warlock except [Fire] and brains. Not overpowered. You need a PP reserve for some class features, though, so consider either house-ruling that stuff to not eat PP or being a Kalashtar.

How about some of the 4/9 casting classes? Blackguard (DMG / SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm)) isn't entirely awful. For 3 class levels you'd get full BAB, 2nd level spells, Rebuke Undead, Cha to saves, Aura of Despair, poison use, and you're one level away from Sneak Attack.

If you want to be Good, the Champion of Gwynharwyf (BoED) gets similar spellcasting, plus Rage as a Barbarian of the same level, plus DR 2/-- at level 3, and some other stuff.

On the arcane side, something like Telflammar Shadow Lord (FR book?) might be fun, and it's not particularly broken if you don't have a source of unlimited free teleportation.