PDA

View Full Version : New warrior-monk subclass

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-29, 07:35 PM
I am creating a class that is a little similar to the monk but more like the fighter gaining abilities that help them in combat more than anything else, the theme of it is basically people who are very good at weapon fighting but are good in a more supernatural way than say the normal fighter whether it be through a bloodline, divine blessing, otherworldly patron etc. but it is set around the ability to fight like a martial class (I am kinda bad at explaining things so I am sorry if that doesn't make much sense)

I mainly am looking for some names and even possible ideas for subclass so anyone have any ideas? It'll help a lot (I am looking for help with concepts of subclasses and name not the mechanics of the class)

Pleh
2018-08-29, 08:51 PM
It'll help to know what system you're talking about. 3.5? PF? 5e?

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-29, 09:34 PM
I am making this for 5e but I thought I didn't need to say that, it's just the concept and name that I am asking help for. Why would I need to say the edition?

JNAProductions
2018-08-29, 09:45 PM
I am making this for 5e but I thought I didn't need to say that, it's just the concept and name that I am asking help for. Why would I need to say the edition?

Because you're looking for more than just a name. Your OP implied you wanted mechanical help, which will vary immensely from edition to edition or game to game.

For instance, saying it needs full BAB or the best THAC0 is not very helpful, now is it?

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-29, 09:47 PM
Ahhhh my apologies I didn't mean that, corrected that now

Pleh
2018-08-30, 07:45 AM
Also there are subforums for specific rules editions. You'll probably get much better 5e help in the 5e subforum. You can message a mod to ask them to move this thread there.

Cealocanth
2018-08-30, 08:42 AM
Kensei already attempts that, although I understand why you'd want to give it another shot. Kensei is actually pretty terrible.

As for names, you could keep with the East Asian asthetic by naming them Sohei after the japanese warrior monks, or name them Teutonic Knights after the German equivalent.

Monks tend to have "way" in their naming convention, though, so I'm thinking "way of the long knife", "way of the whispering claw", or "way of the armsman".

Or, if you're feeling tongue-in-cheek, there's always "Way of the Jedi Knight".

Vogie
2018-08-30, 11:59 AM
I am creating a class that is a little similar to the monk but more like the fighter gaining abilities that help them in combat more than anything else, the theme of it is basically people who are very good at weapon fighting but are good in a more supernatural way than say the normal fighter whether it be through a bloodline, divine blessing, otherworldly patron etc. but it is set around the ability to fight like a martial class (I am kinda bad at explaining things so I am sorry if that doesn't make much sense)

I mainly am looking for some names and even possible ideas for subclass so anyone have any ideas? It'll help a lot (I am looking for help with concepts of subclasses and name not the mechanics of the class)

Subclasses will be easier to pull out if we know the basic fluff of the class - like you mentioned, a monastic tradition is different from a school which is different from a bloodline, divine blessing, otherworldly patron, conclave, et cetera.

Base classes can also be teased out in a similar manner. If you're not dealing with technology or artifacts, it'd be silly to call the class an artificer, technomancer or equipmentalist, savvy? Conversely, if the base class has strong underwater themes, then names like Krakenborn, or Tritonguard suddenly make sense.

As for some base class names:

Brawler
Dervish
Hoplite
Immortal
Templar
Ninja
Jaguar Warrior
Holy Gladiator

Nifft
2018-08-30, 03:25 PM
Or, if you're feeling tongue-in-cheek, there's always "Way of the Jedi Knight".

Let's be honest, this is the Monk we all need.