PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for Magic

Galgano
2018-08-30, 01:10 AM
Hi everyone. I'm planning on playing a character that uses throwable weapons and I was looking for various spells/buffs that could be applied to weapons to give them extra damage. However, the only ones that I could apply to a ranged, non-ammo weapon (i.e. fire arrows, lightning arrow, etc.) are things like magic weapon (I think that's the one that adds +X to attack/damage rolls). Is there anything else that I'm missing that can be applied to thrown melee weapons?

Arkhios
2018-08-30, 01:27 AM
Hi everyone. I'm planning on playing a character that uses throwable weapons and I was looking for various spells/buffs that could be applied to weapons to give them extra damage. However, the only ones that I could apply to a ranged, non-ammo weapon (i.e. fire arrows, lightning arrow, etc.) are things like magic weapon (I think that's the one that adds +X to attack/damage rolls). Is there anything else that I'm missing that can be applied to thrown melee weapons?

Elemental Weapon comes to mind. Unfortunately, it's only on Paladin's spell list as far as I can remember.

Choose one of these damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, a nonmagical weapon you touch becomes magical, has a +1 to attack rolls, and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a 5th or 6th level spell slot, the bonus to attack rolls increases to +2 and the extra damage increases to 2d4. When you use a slot of 7th level or higher, the bonus is +3 and the extra damage is 3d4.

leogobsin
2018-08-30, 01:29 AM
Shadow Blade (from Xanathar's Guide) creates a throwable melee weapon that deals 2d8 psychic and once thrown can be returned to your hand using a bonus action, seems like that would be useful.

Arkhios
2018-08-30, 01:31 AM
Shadow Blade (from Xanathar's Guide) creates a throwable melee weapon that deals 2d8 psychic and once thrown can be returned to your hand using a bonus action, seems like that would be useful.

Very true, although it requires concentration so it limits some things.

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-30, 05:16 AM
I’m AFB right now, but don’t most of those Ranger spells specify either shooting OR throwing a weapon? I could have sworn they worked with thrown weapons.

Greywander
2018-08-30, 06:45 AM
There's Magic Stone. It's even a cantrip, so you can use it all day.

You touch up to three pebbles as a bonus action, making them magical. You can throw them or load them into a sling. If thrown, they have a range of 60 feet. It uses your spellcasting mod even if you give the stone to someone else to throw. It deals 1d6 + your spellcasting mod bludgeoning damage on a hit.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-30, 06:47 AM
I’m AFB right now, but don’t most of those Ranger spells specify either shooting OR throwing a weapon? I could have sworn they worked with thrown weapons.

Lightning arrow definitely works with thrown weapons. So do ensnaring strike, conjure barrage and conjure volley. Flame arrows doesn't, though.

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-30, 06:59 AM
Lightning arrow definitely works with thrown weapons. So do ensnaring strike, conjure barrage and conjure volley. Flame arrows doesn't, though.

Well, Flame Arrows pretty much sucks in general anyways.

Vogie
2018-08-30, 08:11 AM
Monks have scaling damage to all simple weapons, which would include daggers and handaxes, but not darts, because it's not a melee weapon. If you're a Kensai, and choose darts as your kensai weapon, you CAN use scaling damage, as well as increase the damage of a ranged attack by an additional 1d4 starting at level 3.

Talking with your DM and refluffing Magic Stone is probably the easiest thing to give random things the thrown property and scaling damage... the problem is the only classes that have it natively do not have an extra attack feature - Druids (and Nature clerics) don't have it at all, and Blade Warlocks only have an extra attack for their pact weapon.

If you're interested in using Magic Stone, I'd suggest using Magic initiate on a class with a built-in Extra attack, if that class doesn't have the ability to cast spells; Alternatively, pick it up via Spell Sniper if you already can cast spells (Eldritch Knight, Sword bard, or Bladesinger, for example)

NockSchlockJock
2018-08-30, 08:22 AM
Sneeze on your weapons before use to inflict poison damage on every strike

Arkhios
2018-08-30, 08:28 AM
Sneeze on your weapons before use to inflict poison damage on every strike

That'd be more in the disease territory than poison.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-30, 08:39 AM
Holy Weapon would work.

Also, Sneak Attack, Psychic Blade, and Maneuvers would do the trick.