PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 and PF spell list

Aetis
2018-08-30, 07:20 AM
Been a longtime 3.5 fan, but I've been thinking about switching to using PF spells instead of 3.5's.

I know they made a number of changes to spells (glitterdust, solid fog, polymorph, etc) that I approve of.

Far as I can tell, implementing PF spells over 3.5 seems to be a simple plug-and-chug. Are there anything specific that I should be aware of?

ericgrau
2018-08-30, 07:36 PM
It is a simple plug and play. There is some minor power creep which is less than 3.5 power creep. Nothing majorly game breaking AFAIK.

Many nerfed spells such as the aforementioned glitterdust are pretty poor though. Their new polymorph is harder to break but it greatly limits options and creativity. Which is fine if your previous solution was to ban polymorph.

unseenmage
2018-08-30, 08:03 PM
Word to the wise, they didn't touch Simulacrum.

I recommend rewriting it from the ground up to be in line with Polymorph.

Eldaran
2018-08-30, 08:20 PM
Just be sure to ban the Blood Money spell.

Silva Stormrage
2018-08-31, 02:24 PM
They also didn't touch Planar Binding to my knowledge.

Essentially a decent chunk of the "Reliable" BFC control spells wizards tossed out like crazy got nerfed (Glitterdust, Evards, Grease I believe are some of them) and they nerfed transformation spells into the ground. They left a couple of the major game breaking ones alone for some reason, Planar Binding, Simulacrum, Time Stop, etc. But overall spells are slightly weaker.

I have found that you won't notice much of a change.

Animate dead got buffed a LOT with the introduction of bloody skeletons though and the addition of the spell "Blood Money'

Aetis
2018-08-31, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the insight, guys!

Crichton
2018-08-31, 09:03 PM
But overall spells are slightly weaker.

I have found that you won't notice much of a change.

Question and point of clarification for the OP: Are you the only player who's doing this? Are there other casters in this game who aren't doing this?

As other's mentioned, you'll be fine with PF spells, but they are, for the most part, weaker, so if other players are using 3.5 versions, you're gonna be at a disadvantage.

Aetis
2018-08-31, 11:01 PM
I'm the DM, and I'll be making the switch for everyone.

Alexvrahr
2018-08-31, 11:24 PM
Glitterdust is strong enough that even PF's nerfed version (save each round to lose the blindness) is good enough to use IMO.

PF's classes are stronger which can combine with some spells to make those appear stronger; color spray + heavens oracle makes for a 1st level spell you still cast a lot at level 10.

While many PF spells are weaker, there's enough in total that with random variation the top few can be very good. The create pit line, battering blast, bloodsworn retribution or glimpse of the akashic for example.