PDA

View Full Version : Diceless Graph-Paper Games

Were-Sandwich
2007-09-14, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know of any games that can be played with just a pad of graph paper and a pencil? Strategy games, to be specific, something more advanced than just battleships. I'm looking for something to do during boring long lessons or car/coach journeys. I'll probably write my own if I can't find any.

If anything, it'll give me a practical use for all this Transformation crap we learn in maths.

Josef
2007-09-14, 01:41 PM
I used to play a game, somewhat like risk, where you draw out a map with split into territories, etc. Each territory got you one unit each go, and each unit could move one territory. Battles were resolved using a coin toss, the loser losing a unit.

blue_fenix
2007-09-14, 03:30 PM
Really simple one, play tic-tac-toe but say you have to get 5 in a row, and make the playing area something like 15x15 (don't actually mark off the area though, most games tend to stay in one compact part). This is actually a serious game in some asian countries where people have mathematically proven that the guy who goes first has a major advantage. There's some bizarre rules you can use to negate that advantage, but for non-serious players it's not really a big deal, just alternate going first. You can play 6 in a row or more, even, but those games end up taking a really long time to finish sometimes.

Om
2007-09-15, 04:12 AM
Squares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_and_Boxes). Its like chess with squares and little else.