PDA

View Full Version : Question: Nystul's Magic Aura-Mask?

Arial Black
2018-08-30, 04:40 PM
Nystul's magic aura can be cast in either of two ways:-

1.) False Aura: You change the way a creature or object appears to effects that detect magical auras, such as with the spell detect magic (Obviously).

2.) You change the way a creature appears to effects that detect creature types*, such as a paladin's Divine Sense or the trigger of a symbol spell. You choose a creature type and other spells and magical effects treat the target as if it were a creature of that type or of that alignment.

* like, dragon, giant, beast, humanoid, etc.

For example, a magic mouth may be set to speak its message when the enspelled object is handled by a humanoid. If a humanoid (human, elf, drow, dwarf, whatever) handles the magic mouthed item, the spell triggers and the pre-set message is spoken, but if a (say) giant handled the item then magic mouth would not be triggered.

So far, so good.

So I, a high-elf bladesinger, am a humanoid. I cast Nystul's magic aura on myself, the 'mask' version, so that "spells and other magical effects treat (me) as if (I) were a...." celestial. Or dragon. Or whatever I chose when I cast the spell.

Cool.

Later, a baddy casts hold person on me. This spell says, "Choose a humanoid you can see within range".

But spells treat me as if I were a celestial. Don't they?

So the question is: am I affected by hold person while I'm 'masked' as a (not humanoid) by Nystul's magic aura, RAW.

And, by extension, do ALL spells which only target certain creature types treat me as if I were my mask. NMA seems to indicate so.

So which is it? Why or why not, according to RAW?

Maelynn
2018-08-30, 04:55 PM
2.) You change the way a creature appears to effects that detect creature types*, such as a paladin's Divine Sense or the trigger of a symbol spell.

Way I see it, Hold Person doesn't do any detecting. So the mask doesn't work on it.

cZak
2018-08-31, 08:52 AM
I had this same thought regarding the Quasit familiar in a party w a paladin to 'mask' the 'Evil/Outsider' *ping*
Rules seem to suggest that the masked aura would prevent a Detect evil divination, hadn't thought of it cancelling out 'type' targeted other spells, but... seems reasonable.
The extended casting (8 days?) to make it permanent is a wicket that isn't really difficult to achieve

On the other hand, this is a fairly low level spell negating some higher level spells; Dominate, etc... doesn't seem fair.

Hold person doesn't detect, but it's limited to a type that the Illusion is masking. Which wins?