PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighter/Ranger up to 18 attacks in a single round

Dave2
2018-08-30, 05:40 PM
I am kind of new to 5e and after one of my characters was mobbed to death, I made a human ranger fighter who was optimized to fighting crowds. I managed to get up to 18 attacks in a single round with feels wrong, so I wanted to see if people could check my work. Here it is: Human Fighter 5 Ranger 3

From human, I use the bonus feat for the two weapon fighting feat.

For Fighter, I take the Two-Weapon Fighting style and the Battle Master archetype. For my Maneuvers, I take Sweeping strike and the others do not matter.

From Ranger I take the Hunter Archetype and go Horde Breaker

On my Characters turn, as long as their are at least 2 opponents I make an attack action and use the action surge. Because I am a 5th level fighter, I get 4 attacks. because I am two weapon fighting, I get an extra attack, which brings me to 5 attacks. using all 4 of my superiority dice, I can make 4 of my attacks bounce to enemy number 2 if they hit which bring me to 9 attacks. Horde Beaker says that for every attack I hit with, I can make a second attack against another enemy who is with in 5 feet of the original target, effectively doubling the number of attacks to 18.

Is this all legal or am I missing something?

Griswold
2018-08-30, 05:46 PM
Horde Breaker. Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack...

Horde Breaker can only be used once each turn, so it would only be +1 attack for that turn. And the action surge doesn't change that either.

10 attacks is still pretty impressive, though!

Dave2
2018-08-30, 05:48 PM
Thanks, that was the thing I was missing

Man_Over_Game
2018-08-30, 05:49 PM
Missed a few points there. Make sure to consider what each thing is separately.

1. Being a 5th level fighter means that when you spend your Normal Action, you make two attacks instead of one.

2. Two Weapon Fighting lets you spend your Bonus Action, after you use your Normal Action to attack, to get a single extra attack. At this point, with the previous lines, you can make 3 attacks a turn.

3. Horde Breaker: "Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you can make another attack with the same weapon against a different creature that is within 5 feet of the original target and within range of your weapon. "---Note the word "Once". This provides a single attack per turn. This, with the previous lines, puts your attacks per turn to 4.

4. Action Surge gives you an extra Normal Action, and nothing else. Refer to #1. This puts your attacks per turn up to 6 with the previous lines on the turns you use Action Surge.

5. Sweeping Attack: "When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to damage another creature with the same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach. If the original attack roll would hit the second creature, it takes damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die." Note the damage it deals. It deals bonus damage, not an extra attack. You would also have to expend a superiority die each time you want to use it, and you have 4 die.

You'd have up to 6 attacks from your action surge or 4 regular attacks per turn, and up to 4 uses of Sweeping Strike (4.5 damage per use) per rest.

Kane0
2018-08-30, 05:50 PM
Extra attack - Action 2 attacks
Action surge - Action 2 attacks
Off hand weapon - Bonus Action 1 attack
Sweeping attack - Not really an attack, more like splash damage
Horde Breaker - Once per turn 1 extra attack

So your total is 6 attacks (7 if you are hasted) and up to 4 of them can use Sweeping Attack to deal out the superiority die as splash damage.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-08-30, 07:16 PM
monk 2/gloomstalker 3/Samurai 15

Attack action 3 + Dream ambusher on first turn
Rapid Strike
flurry of blows

Then you action surge for a total of 11 without haste on the first turn. If you Haste thats 12.

I believe this is the maximum number of attacks.