PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rogue/Barbarian Multiclass Build Help

Kelando
2018-08-30, 05:41 PM
Hello!

I am planning a new character for a new campaign starting at level 3. I've been researching a lot and have settled on playing a Dragonborn Barbarian Rogue Hybrid. This is my first multiclass and I started to do read about what the optimal build path/starting path is for this class combo and I got a bit overwhelmed. I would appreciate advice on how to make this a smooth playing character for the campaign without feeling underwhelming until level 10 or so.

My current stat spread is 16/14/14/8/12/10 and we will all be starting with one feat

My main questions for this character are below.

1. Should I focus leveling Barbarian or Rogue first? I Plan to start Barb 2/Rogue 1 so I could sprint to the Barb primal path, ASI, and second attack before going further into rogue. Is this optimal for in combat effectiveness along the way?

2. What feat should I take? I believe shield master would be very good on this due to expertise in athletics.

3. What rogue subclass should I take? I plan on going path of the totem barbarian, but rogues have a lot goign for them. Assassin seemed good, but it is only great for the first round surprise and as a melee I don't know if that's going to happen a lot. I've heard people say scout would be good, but I don't understand why really.

That's mostly it. Thanks for any help or responses. Let me know if you need more details!

Garfunion
2018-08-30, 06:14 PM
What kind of character concepts are you going for? Why do you want to multiclass?

Corran
2018-08-30, 06:14 PM
If it's a diverse skill set and mechanically interesting, while being very much a team-player...I can heartily recommend Thief Rogue/Wolf Totem Barbarian. As a build, it starts taking off from about level 3 (Barbarian 1/Rogue 2) and doesn't really slow down with gaining interesting features until...well, ever.

To explain;

1st level; Barbarian. You get 12hp, the oh-so-precious Con Save proficiency, all Martial weapons (more on that later) and Medium Armour (if you don't fancy going nekkid, which is also an option/back-up plan).

Level 2; Rogue. You get Sneak Attack and Expertise. Athletics is a must, because it opens up grapples and shoves as a completely viable option. Where Rage gave you Advantage on these things, Expertise makes you better than, well, anyone. The additional Skill proficiency and Thieves Tools gives you more options and spotlight time.

Level 3; Rogue. Cunning Action means you can do what yoy want, when you want, wherever you want to do it. Rock on, this is when the build really gets fun, because almost no-one can say "no" to whatever it is you're doing.

Level 4+; Options. From here on you have some choices to make, none of which are bad:

- Taking another level of Rogue (going Thief), you get Fast Hands, which means you can put that awesome Athletics score to food use wrecking terrain and manipulating the battlefield...as a Bonus Action. Do not underestimate the power and utility of this. If you go down this route, you probably want to stick with Rogue for a couple of levels to get that ASI and Uncanny Dodge to increase your tankiness. Staying the course to Rogue 7 for Evasion may also be worth it, to weather the friendly AoE's your party members are going to be throwing around by that time.

- Alternatively, go Barbarian. Reckless Attack means every attack is a Sneak Attack. Pursuing this route to Barbarian 5 for Wolf Totem (your allies will love you for giving them Advantage just for standing next to their target) and Extra Attack (if DPR is of any concern to you) is probably the "optimal" route. Having said that, getting to character level 6 as Rogue 3/Barbarian 3 isn't a bad character and has all the tools you want for an absolute blast of a gaming experience.

Race:

V.Human is definitely your go-to for this. I recommend Shield Master as your Bonus Feat. Whilst it "competes" with Cunning Action for your Bonus Action, it's another option available on your turn. Starting as a Barbarian, the bonus on Dex Saves to make up for your lack of Proficiency is nice and tasty. It also takes the pressure off of main-lining Rogue for Evasion.

Dwarves make really good Barbarian/Rogues too. The Bonus Con helps with the tanking (and don't mistake; thisnis a tank build) and if you go Hill Dwarf you'll have even more HP. Resistance to Poison means your HP go even further and helps immensely against traps, which a Rogue, you may encounter more of than most characters). Darkvision doesn't hurt and Stonecunning is an interesting ability to have with the right GM. More Tool profs don't hurt either (More options! More spotlight!). Going Dwarf will delay getting Shield Master though.

Half-Orc also works; tanky, strong, intimidatin'. What's not to like?

Feats:

Shield Master - As I mention above, this feat is your first go-to because it just opens up a ton of combat utility, both active and passive, offensivd and defensive.

Sentinel - Your next ASI goes on Sentinel. Not only does it increase the odds of getting more Sneak Attack (on OA's), but solidifies your role as a Tank.

Stats, Equipment and the rest:

Str>Dex>Con>Wis=Cha=Int

One-Handed Finesse Weapon (I recommend a Whip; the additional Reach gives you a much greater "presence" on the battlefield and Sneak Attack and Rage mitigates the lower damage die to the point of insignificance).

Breastplate Armour (when you can afford it) and Shield.

Pack some back-up finesse, ranged and/or light weapons. Dual wielding is always an option, as is chucking a knife/axe/dart. Don't feel too obligated about the special weapon features; you're super-buff and are using Str to attack, not Dex; you can lug a Maul with you for kicks (and skeleton smashing) if you really want.

Background: Take your pick. I like Outlander, for a more outdoorsy feel with Survival proficiency, but it's just a personal preference. Entertainer (Gladiator) could also work well with this build, for the "exotic" weapon prof, if you wanted to go Rogue at 1st level (if you want an extra Skill prof more than the HP and Con Save proficiency).
This was a post from another member of this forum (and to my shame I do not remember who it was to give them credit for it), that I saved because it sounded very interesting. I hope it can provide you with some good ideas.

ps: Btw, if you used point buy for your stats, then you have 1 spare point to use as you see fit.

Kelando
2018-08-30, 06:21 PM
What kind of character concepts are you going for? Why do you want to multiclass?

My thought was that this person would be a sort of street tough that learned a rogueish lifestyle growing up in the city, but has a lot of draconic tendencies which would be the source or his rage function as Barb (I was planning totem). We will be in an urban setting for a lot of this campaign, so the rogue has a lot of great stuff to offer from a flavor and non-combat perspective with breaking in and expertise.

bid
2018-08-30, 06:33 PM
16 14 14 8 13 10, as Corran stated.

1- barbarian 5 is the obvious damage choice. Thief 3 opens up some options if you go flavor over damage, and might work better for a city campaign.

2- shield master is hard to beat, even if it was weakened by making its bonus action happen after your action.

3- I'm always partial to swashbuckler, but thief and even arcane trickster can bring a rounder character.

Both classes have neat toys up to level 7, you won't have both until level 14.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-30, 06:35 PM
My thought was that this person would be a sort of street tough that learned a rogueish lifestyle growing up in the city, but has a lot of draconic tendencies which would be the source or his rage function as Barb (I was planning totem). We will be in an urban setting for a lot of this campaign, so the rogue has a lot of great stuff to offer from a flavor and non-combat perspective with breaking in and expertise.

The Urchin Background will get you a lot of this flavor form the start, then I agree with others, saying go to Barb 5 first before picking up a couple of rogue levels for expertise and cunning action.

Garfunion
2018-08-30, 06:38 PM
I would suggest to go with Path of the Storm Herald (Xanathar's Guide to Everything) barbarian. It provides more draconic flavor.

Kelando
2018-08-30, 07:50 PM
16 14 14 8 13 10, as Corran stated.

1- barbarian 5 is the obvious damage choice. Thief 3 opens up some options if you go flavor over damage, and might work better for a city campaign.

2- shield master is hard to beat, even if it was weakened by making its bonus action happen after your action.

3- I'm always partial to swashbuckler, but thief and even arcane trickster can bring a rounder character.

Both classes have neat toys up to level 7, you won't have both until level 14.

I planned on running a rapier for double dipping in sneak attack/rage bonus as far as damage was concerned.Do you think stopping at thief 3 would be the way to go? I'm finding it tough to know when to stop in these classes as there always seems to be something great coming up the next level.

I'll definitely run shield master then I think. Helps a lot with using the athletics and physicality in fights.

My party actually has a swashbuckler or I may have went that already haha. I think thief seems pretty neat with second story work getting a lot of use out of athletics proficiency imo. Not to mention the extra cunning action.

The Urchin Background will get you a lot of this flavor form the start, then I agree with others, saying go to Barb 5 first before picking up a couple of rogue levels for expertise and cunning action.

Hmmm, I hadn't really considered backgrounds yet haha. Would you think going straight Barb 5 and then dipping for 6-8 into thief is ideal? I think a one level dip of rogue would be worth the expertise alone both in and out of combat.

I would suggest to go with Path of the Storm Herald (Xanathar's Guide to Everything) barbarian. It provides more draconic flavor.

I looked at storm herald and agree that it seemed pretty cool, but the numbers looked underwhelming and require a bit larger investment to get to anything very interesting. Would you have any recommendations or thouhgs on which storm path to go? Desert seems quite underwhelming with Sea and Tundra not raising my eyebrows too much until the 14th level.

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

GlenSmash!
2018-08-30, 07:56 PM
Hmmm, I hadn't really considered backgrounds yet haha. Would you think going straight Barb 5 and then dipping for 6-8 into thief is ideal? I think a one level dip of rogue would be worth the expertise alone both in and out of combat.

A single level of Rogue is great an a Barbarian, but Cunning Action is my favorite Rogue ability, and since Barbarians don't have a lot of Bonus action options after going into a rage, that bonus action Dash can be a super nice way to make sure you get into melee range of your next target. If gong to 3 in Rgoue I would personally go Scout over Thief, but that's just preference.

Kelando
2018-08-30, 08:45 PM
A single level of Rogue is great an a Barbarian, but Cunning Action is my favorite Rogue ability, and since Barbarians don't have a lot of Bonus action options after going into a rage, that bonus action Dash can be a super nice way to make sure you get into melee range of your next target. If gong to 3 in Rgoue I would personally go Scout over Thief, but that's just preference.

Is the Skirmisher ability on Scout really that valuable? I suppose it gives me a lot of movement in a fight, but I wonder how useful that is. Prior to this I've played casters so maybe I'm underestimating what it will be like to play a melee character.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-31, 12:18 PM
Is the Skirmisher ability on Scout really that valuable? I suppose it gives me a lot of movement in a fight, but I wonder how useful that is. Prior to this I've played casters so maybe I'm underestimating what it will be like to play a melee character.

Actually it was Survivalist I was thinking about. Expertise (essentially) on Nature and Survival is very thematic on a Streetsmart Barbarian to me.

Still extra movement as a melee character is always good. Combined with a Bonus Action Dash it makes kiting very easy, or you can use it to tuck behind rock and hide and set up sneak attack, saving you form having to use Reckless Attack for a turn. Or simply just choose which bad guy you are going to engage form round to round is a nice bonus.

With five levels of Barbarian half your movement will be 20ft and an extra 20ft of movement per turn even if situational is noting to shake a stick at.