PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Character Build

zminseo
2018-08-30, 07:35 PM
What do you think would be an ideal build for a character from Naruto? (Dexterity based, half-casting, mobile, etc) Am I right in thinking that this is an elements monk?

Foxhound438
2018-08-30, 08:32 PM
What do you think would be an ideal build for a character from Naruto? (Dexterity based, half-casting, mobile, etc) Am I right in thinking that this is an elements monk?

a lot of them, sure, but there's also a lot of characters who that really wouldn't fit for. Some would be closer to kensai, some closer to open hand, a few would be assorted fighters or barbarians, and really most of them would almost have to be wizards or bards or something to really hit the theme right due to how many weird abilities are in that show.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-30, 08:43 PM
Monk / Mystic multiclass?

ImproperJustice
2018-08-30, 08:51 PM
I kinda made a Naruto build that centered around the Sorceror.

It always seems to me like his power comes from within (sorcerer points / flexible casting), and he can always push the boundaries of what is expected for his various Jutsus (Metamagic).

Derpldorf
2018-08-30, 09:13 PM
You'd probably need a few levels of Bard just so you have a mechanical effect while telling people to "Believe it!"

Arathryth
2018-08-30, 10:05 PM
I made a hexblade warlock one that used Sasuke as an inspiration. Took the vision invocations (Devil's Sight, Witch Sight) and the spell Eyebite, to simulate the Sharingan.

Moredhel24
2018-08-30, 10:29 PM
Depends on if u are trying to build a specific character or not

1. Generic Shinobi: Monk (any subclass)/Mystic (Immortal or Wu Jen). Mystic's disciplines could represent the various chakra natures. Yang release = immortal disciplines, Yin release/genjutsu/fuinjutsu = ?, Fire/wind/lightning/earth/water release and their various combined kekkei genkai or kekkei tota (Dust release) = Wu Jen
2. For a jinchuriki add Warlock since they gain power from another being
3. A specific character such as:
* naruto, I'd go Open Hand monk/ Valor Bard, Sorceror (not sure on which Origin), or Paladin (either Devotion, Ancient, or Crown; their level 20 feature could represent his sage mode)/ Warlock (What patron could represent Kurama?)
* For any of the Yamanaka clan I'd go monk/awakened mystic to represent the mind transfer technique.

Quoxis
2018-08-31, 06:04 AM
What’s Naruto‘s typical combat style? Shadow clones.
I therefore propose at least 3-6 levels of trickery cleric for their channel divinity invoke duplicity - you get a clone that can deliver touch spells for you (inflict wounds = touch based rasengan) and gives you advantage on attacks if both it and you are standing within 5ft of an opponent (different combat techniques that involve multiple Narutos) - as well as the mirror image (create shadow clones that share your 5ft space and get hit instead of you) and disguise self (sexy no jutsu) spells. 3 levels of the class give you all of the above, while 6 give you two castings of your shadow clone per short rest as well as the blink spell (lightspeed dodging or jutsu of exchange).

As Naruto isn’t really that much of a technician i wouldn’t go with open hand, and as he‘s only ever using his wind element powers to enhance his rasengan, i‘d let four elements slide too (plus the entire subclass sucks).

If you’re set on a monk multiclass i‘d take the long death subclass from scag - perfect to emulate his healing powers and (at 11th level) he’s gonna be basically unkillable. Monk is an ok mc because it makes your weapon/unarmed attacks stronger, but as you need to invest a buttload of levels to feel a real difference it comes online late and you won’t really get that much magic out of it - less ninjutsu, more taijutsu.

Other multiclass options include fighter (1 level gives you self-healing and martial weapon proficiency, 2 the chance to take two actions in one turn, e.g. casting your shadow clone and attacking in the same turn, 3 give you a subclass - champion is great with your reliable advantage to get crits, eldritch knight gives at least a bit of spell slot progression and some new spells...) and ranger (tons of fluff, but also some spells you wouldn’t get otherwise like conjure barrage or hail of thorns used with darts to emulate techniques involving multiplying shuriken - also ranger still gives you spell slot progression while keeping you martially competent enough to keep fighting without too much reliance on magical damage).

In theory you could dip two levels of paladin to use divine smite as jinchuriki-enfused strikes or rasengan, but that‘d be really MAD - you need at least 13 cha, wis and str to pull this off, while being a melee oriented guy makes neglecting dex and con a bad idea...

Citan
2018-08-31, 07:01 PM
Hi!
Well, as improper as may be mechanically, I think the best fit would be a Devotion or Ancients Paladin. Behaviour-wise at least.
He is, after all, extremely passionated about protecting his friends, and displays an extreme resilience (that only a Barbarian could encompass otherwise).

In fact, I think Naruto may be a good fit for the dreaded Paladin 6 / Monk 14 build, provided good rolled stats of course.
Problem is, there are many signature techniques that are not representated.

For example, the clones: barring Mass Clone (just not replicable), having several clones fits the high level Trickery Cleric, then Mirror Image (but very limited effect) or Simulacrum (much closer to what a Naruto clone can do, but only one).

Fûton too is kinda hard: there is no spell I can think of that fits the Rasengan fluff (I actually created one for my homebrew ^^).

I think that if a DM would allow homebrew spells, a Sorcerer or Warlock (Patron being Kurama) would be the best fits.

I'm curious about other's ideas though, since I don't think there is a proper way to represent Naruto (adult, or 4th Ninja War version) properly.
Naruto as a genin/chunin could be doable though. ;)

Temperjoke
2018-08-31, 07:07 PM
I've said it before on other threads asking about a character from the Naruto universe, I believe that several druid levels can do a good job of emulating a large number of jutsu techniques, given how they use elemental spells and summons. Granted, Naruto himself doesn't really use jutsu, but for a character set in that universe it'll be useful.

Quoxis
2018-09-01, 08:37 PM
Barring Mass Clone (just not replicable), having several clones fits the high level Trickery Cleric, then Mirror Image (but very limited effect) or Simulacrum (much closer to what a Naruto clone can do, but only one).

1. cast simulacrum on yourself
2. have your new simulacrum cast simulacrum on you - you now have two simulacra
3. have the newest simulacrum-created simulacrum cast simulacrum on you - you now have 3 of them

> repeat the last step until desired shadow clone quantity is reached (or until the last transmuter gave up creating new rubies for the magic milliontuplet army that ravaged the planet of any ruby dust worth 1,500 gp, or until your GM unleashes the power of a million and one falling rocks, whichever happens first)