PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with Casual Build for Pathfinder

Bradykin
2018-08-30, 07:53 PM
Hey guys! I'm working on a mostly-joke build for the next time I play pathfinder with a more silly crowd. I want the build to have actually functional play, and i'm curious for ideas.

The premise: The Oracle curse "Haunted" reads: "Any item you drop lands 10 feet away from you in a random direction." Now at first glance, this is just a forgettable rule like all of the minor downsides of oracle curses. However, this is actually a very specific statement that I want to make a build to abuse. Because you see, if you drop a very, very large number of things, you would effectively form a ring around you of those items, since every one of them MUST fly 10 feet away in a random direction. And if those things are, I don't know, bear traps? Grenades? Marbles? Well, then hilarity can ensue.

So that's the idea. What can I use in the rulebooks to augment this. I know that I need 1 level in oracle, and I need the haunted curse. Archetypes are open to discussion. I can also multiclass if there are useful things to be had. I don't need a build that's actually good, but I want a functional playstyle based on dropping dangerous objects in my vicinity. Some thoughts that I need to make the build functional:

How do I drop this many items? Currently i'm thinking early game, you have a modified backpack with a slot at the bottom you can open to spew out nonsense. Lategame, I'll have a series of bags of holding each filled with all manner of awful. Any other ideas are welcome. For this part, we need to be sure to circumvent the line of Haunted that says "Retrieving any stored item from your gear requires a standard action", because we can't afford those. We need to move them from storage to immediately being dropped, and never retrieve them ourselves, which is why clever storage systems will be required.

What am I dropping? Is there classes that can help me create fun things to drop? Are there cheap things i could purchase en masse to then drop on people? Bonus points for reusable droppables.

If anyone has thoughts on fun things to add to this build, I'd love some ideas. I'm not worried about "Technically by RAW this wouldn't work because of the tiny details in XYZ", since this would be a self-defined troll build - as long as it mostly works, we are good. I'm only going to use it on a DM that will allow me to take the slight liberties needed to do this kind of nonsense.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok guys, I've gone off the deep end with a new thought for this. See, myself as a humanoid being a dropping oracle is cool, but....elephants can carry a lot more, right? So I'm trying to find a way to get a subserviant elephant with an oracle level. There's two paths this could go down that I can think of:

1: Use the spell Awaken, make it a magical beast, find it an oracle teacher, and befriend or mind control it.
2: Find an Elephant, kill it, give it a class level somehow, and raise it as a Skelephant Oracle

Can anyone think of a way to accomplish one of these? I no longer myself need to be an oracle, we can dedicate unreasonably amounts of my class to accomplishing the Elephant Oracle.

Andor13
2018-08-30, 08:19 PM
Rubber ducks, whoopie cushhions, alchemical landmines, caltrops, glue, marbles, lego, d4s, spiders, slugs, green slime, scooby snacks, powdered silver (for a magic circle), oil (for setting on fire), chiuhauhas. The possibilities are endless.

As for deployment, put them in a sack. Grab sack by the wrong end. Profit. Alternatively keep them in a boot, and put the pouring instructions on the heel.

Bradykin
2018-08-30, 08:34 PM
Can you link the source for powdered silver/what exactly a magic circle is? Initial google didn't find anything, that one made me very curious.

Andor13
2018-08-30, 09:47 PM
Can you link the source for powdered silver/what exactly a magic circle is? Initial google didn't find anything, that one made me very curious.

Here ya go. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-circle-against-evil/) I don't think it actually helps since there is no listed time to draw the circle unless you're going to make it fancy and draws sigils and billing addresses on it.

Jack_Simth
2018-08-30, 10:25 PM
1: Use the spell Awaken, make it a magical beast, find it an oracle teacher, and befriend or mind control it.
2: Find an Elephant, kill it, give it a class level somehow, and raise it as a Skelephant Oracle

Can anyone think of a way to accomplish one of these? I no longer myself need to be an oracle, we can dedicate unreasonably amounts of my class to accomplishing the Elephant Oracle.
3: Oracle's Burden (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/o/oracle-s-burden/) is Oracle-2. You can inflict your curse on a simple purchased elephant (or Skeleton Elephant, whatever).

As for getting things out without retrieving them:
Inverting a bag of holding does the job.

Here ya go. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-circle-against-evil/) I don't think it actually helps since there is no listed time to draw the circle unless you're going to make it fancy and draws sigils and billing addresses on it.

As the material component for a spell, the time to manipulate the component is subsumed in the casting time unless otherwise stated. So it takes a standard action to make that circle of silver. Note, however, that the Oracle doesn't need the silver.

unseenmage
2018-08-30, 11:35 PM
Isn't there a blood mage somewhere that makes circles of blood and casts spells that affect everything in the circle?

I remember that one abuse of it was that the circle was poorly defined and technically the equator is a circle...

No need to be an elephant, just use the Ant Haul spell. Should give you plenty of droppables.

Animate Objects on alchemical droppables could be neat.
Tech grenades are even neater.

Unseen Servants could retrieve droppables for you to reuse theoretically.

Does the effect create circles or spheres of droppables? Feathers, spiderwebs, and flour are all pretty flammable and a sphere of any of them could be fun.

Spheres of gunpowder could provide concealment and damage.

Dropping powders is even easier than dropping objects too if the open bottom sack trick works.

EDIT:
A circle of Key-Wound Rattlers (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Key-wound%20rattler) could be neat too.

As could marbles with Darkness cast on them.

Shrink Item-ed objects could be neat too. IIRC theres a post on the Paizo boards by a dev saying that the objects inside a container shrink with that container.

Definitely discuss Marvelous Pigments with your GM as a way to make lots of normally harmless objects semi quickly.
At the least it could help free up carry capacity in the long run.

Oil could be a neat thing to drop.

As could seeds plus Plant Growth or similar.

Feather Tokens are always a fan favorite too. Suddenly a ring of trees.

Explosive Runes is a real killer.

EDIT AGAIN
Any fun to be had with Reverse Gravity Or Gust of Wind? Dropped daggers in either situation could be amusing.

Also, if the effect creates a sphere of droppables, riding around on a floating platform or similar could not you an actual sphere of droppables concealing you.
Perhaps fed by many many unseen servants who endlessly recollect and place droppables into your faulty pockets and packs.