PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven axe-thrower illusionist

Louro
2018-08-30, 08:38 PM
Dwarven illusionist. That was the idea.
LV 5 Mountain dwarf sorcerer, breastplate AC 16, 32 hp

Combat wise, Shadow blade (lv2 illusion, bonus) gives you a fancy shiny axe to either throw or melee for 2d8 psychic dmg.
Adding Blooming blade/GFB hits for 3d8 in melee.

Draconic would be 5 more hp, but divine soul gives access to cure/bless and the +2d4 to a missed attack/save is sweet.
Shield, mirror image, major image, and fireball round it out.
Should probably make room for absorb elemets tho.

Any gimmicks to improve the infamous dwarven sorcerer?
Empower to reroll shadow blade damages?

Ogun
2018-08-30, 09:07 PM
Very cool concept.
Two levels of Hexblade for Cha to attacks,mask if many faces and misty visions?
Spiritual weapon?
Maybe a shadow sorcerer, for Darkness shenanigans.

Louro
2018-08-30, 10:03 PM
Very cool concept.
Two levels of Hexblade for Cha to attacks,mask if many faces and misty visions?
Spiritual weapon?
Maybe a shadow sorcerer, for Darkness shenanigans.
Those two invocations would be sweet but he loses half his damage (lv3 shadow blade 3d8 + GFB 1d8 on-hit)
Spiritual weapon doesn't need concentration but he needs the bonus to retrieve the axe. But yeah, throwing shadows axes while another spectral axe flies around sounds really cool.

Darkness... pretty interesting.

What about distant spell? Would that extend GFB (or blooming) attack range to 10' ?..

Unoriginal
2018-08-31, 04:10 AM

You should look into the Giant Soul Sorcerer.

Quoxis
2018-08-31, 06:25 AM

First off: shadow „axe“ is a concentration spell, so bless is far less useful for you. It also gives you advantage on attacks in darkness, so you should look into shadow sorcerer - that one gives you darkness you can see in, so you definitely get the advantage.

Quicken is never a bad idea, if you quicken booming/green flame blade you essentially get a crazy strong multiattack from your second turn onwards (action to attack, bonus action to attack with bb/gfb) for 5d8 damage per turn.
Sadly both bb/gfb require a melee attack, otherwise distant spell would’ve been useful to attack and slip away to discourage melee attacks - your AC is mediocre and your blade fizzles away if you lose concentration - the war caster feat is definitely needed if you don’t want to resort to throwing every turn (which screws with your action economy and with a distance of 20 feet it’s not ideal either).
While we’re at feats: possibly better than warcaster would be defensive duelist - your shadow „axe“ is a finesse weapon, so this would add a slot-less (if slightly weaker) version of the shield spell - more slots to cast with or to burn on metamagic.

Louro
2018-08-31, 07:11 AM
You right with bless. Darkness have the same problem tho, you spend sorcery points to cast the spells, so concentration required.

But quicken.... oh boy! Yes, please.

Breastplate dwarf, "extra attack", cure wounds and some illusions. And lightning bolt!
Nobody is gonna guess what I'm actually playing.

EDIT: I was counting on war caster already.
The other option was abjurer, this gives 12 temp hp the first time you cast shield or absorb elements, raising it to a total of 44 efective hp.
But the "extra attack" feature... I'M SOLD!

Quoxis
2018-08-31, 07:37 AM
You right with bless. Darkness have the same problem tho, you spend sorcery points to cast the spells, so concentration required.

But quicken.... oh boy! Yes, please.

Breastplate dwarf, "extra attack", cure wounds and some illusions. And lightning bolt!
Nobody is gonna guess what I'm actually playing.

EDIT: I was counting on war caster already.
The other option was abjurer, this gives 12 temp hp the first time you cast shield or absorb elements, raising it to a total of 44 efective hp.
But the "extra attack" feature... I'M SOLD!

Huh, darkness requires conce- damn, you’re right. Four eyes see more than two.