PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Sohei

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-31, 01:06 PM
Zen Rage: At 3rd level, you learned something utterly foreign to most Barbarians-- self control. You no longer Rage as normal Barbarians do. Instead, you enter a state of hyper-aware focus. While you're raging, you gain advantage on Wisdom checks and saves, and your damage bonus applies to all weapon attacks, not merely Str-based ones. Finally, your rage does not end prematurely if you are not attacked or attacking.

Diamond Will: Beginning at 6th level, after you fail an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw, you may use your reaction to succeed on it instead. Once you have done so, you cannot use this ability again until you've completed a short or long rest.

Flow of Battle: Beginning at 10th level, you may take two reactions per turn while raging.

Emerald Slice: Beginning at 14th level, your power and precision is a terror to behold. While raging, you may choose to not make an attack roll with a melee weapon-- instead, the foe must make a Dex save, with a DC of 8+Prof+Str or Dex (your choice). If they fail, they take normal damage; if they succeed, they take damage equal to your rage damage. Effects which apply only on a hit, such as the extra damage from Hunter's Mark, only apply if the target fails their save; effects which alter your attack roll, such as Great Weapon Fighting, never apply.

Vogie
2018-08-31, 01:52 PM
Zen Rage: At 3rd level, you learned something utterly foreign to most Barbarians-- self control. You no longer Rage as normal Barbarians do. Instead, you enter a state of hyper-aware focus. While you're raging, you gain advantage on Wisdom checks and saves, and your damage bonus applies to all weapon attacks, not merely Str-based ones. Finally, your rage does not end prematurely if you are not attacked or attacking.

Diamond Will: Beginning at 6th level, after you fail an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw, you may use your reaction to succeed on it instead. Once you have done so, you cannot use this ability again until you've completed a short or long rest.

Speed of Thought: Beginning at 10th level, while raging, as a bonus action you may Dash and make an unarmed strike. This attack may be made using either Str or Dex, and deals 1d6 base damage.

One With the World: Beginning at 14th level, as a bonus action while raging you may become insubstantial. In this state, you are immune to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, and resistant to all other types, and you can move through solid objects as long as you don't end your turn inside one. However, you cannot attack other creatures or manipulate objects. As another bonus action, you may return to your normal state. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again until you've completed a short or long rest.

Quoting for revisionist purposes

I like the idea, in that you're allowing Dexadins and whatnot. I'd probably use the Berzerker verbage, allowing the player to choose between a Rage and a Zen Rage.

Diamond Will seems fine.

Speed of thought seems like you can choose between EITHER dashing or striking, but I think you meant to say Dash THEN make an unarmed strike.
Also clarify if the unarmed strike counts as a weapon attack for Zen Rage Purposes

OWtW seems... odd. I like the feel of it, but it may be too weak for an archetype capstone. I would probably:

Clarify what happens if you do end a turn inside an object
Clarify the duration of the insubstantial-ness (either independent, or based on the duration of the rage)
Clarify if the effect takes the Barbarian through the Ethereal plane, a la Horizon Walker Ranger.
I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the state is.

If it's just to flicker around, you'll probably want to choose a different mechanical foundation to use - something more akin to Distant Strike or Blink would be better in that sense
If you'd rather it to be used more during the duration of the rage, make the cooldown start from the end of the rage rather than just the use.
If it's just a cool effect that happens to require you to burn a rage as a resource cost, then maybe you want to use another mechanical foundation - something like Gaseous Form or a slow, bonus action activated version of windwalk

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-03, 03:55 PM
Fiddled with Speed of Thought, and replaced One with the World with something more thematic. How's it look now?

Vogie
2018-09-03, 08:36 PM
Speed of Thought: Beginning at 10th level, while raging, as a bonus action you may make an unarmed strike, using either Str or Dex, and dealing 1d6 base damage. If the unarmed strike hits, you may move up to half your speed as a reaction.

The wording seems off.

Maybe it should read more like:
Beginning at 10th level, while raging, you may make an unarmed strike as a bonus action..." and so on. Then clarify if that can only be done after an attack action (I don't know if that was the intention or not).

I don't know if it's a nod towards the so-called fast twitch reflexes or something else - but I can see the arguments for both an attack that is always used (even while dodging/disengaging/etc), or an "additional" strike (a la the Monk class feature Martial Arts that gives it after the attack action).

it's a bit odd that it uses BOTH a bonus action AND a reaction.

Disciplined Blow: Beginning at 14th level, while raging, you may focus all your energy into a single strike. As an action, you may make a melee attack. If it hits, it is automatically a critical hit.

This seems like it's out of place in this subclass - Barbs already have Reckless Attack Baseline for the first attack (which this would be) (if the attack uses strength) and your 10th level feature gives an additional attack. Add that to the fact they'd already have two die of Brutal Critical (also requiring a melee attack) going, thus there's nearly no reason to NOT use it.

You could:

further clarify that it truly is just one attack by requiring the use of the bonus action (making it a meaningful choice between the Speed of thought additional unarmed strike, or use of this feature)
require Disciplined Blow NOT to use Strength (this would keep in line with the Zen Rage, and also eschews the Reckless Attack feature)
include in this feature be a bonus-action True Strike effect, or a multi-disciplinary Reckless attack feature (Doing so gives you advantage on all melee weapon attack rolls using Dexterity, Charisma, Wisdom, or Intelligence during that turn, but attack rolls against you are rolled with advantage until the beginning of your next turn.)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-05, 09:56 AM
Aah, I dunno. The more I look at this the less worthwhile it feels. I can't see much more than a feat, I don't think. Something like

Zen Rage
Prerequisite: Rage class feature
You've learned something utterly foreign to most Barbarians--self control. Now your Rage is a state of hyper-awareness, rather than pure anger. While Raging, you gain Advantage on Wisdom checks and saves, and your Rage damage bonus and Reckless Attack features work with any melee attack, not merely Str-based ones.

Vogie
2018-09-05, 10:20 AM
Aah, I dunno. The more I look at this the less worthwhile it feels. I can't see much more than a feat, I don't think. Something like

Zen Rage
Prerequisite: Rage class feature
You've learned something utterly foreign to most Barbarians--self control. Now your Rage is a state of hyper-awareness, rather than pure anger. While Raging, you gain Advantage on Wisdom checks and saves, and your Rage damage bonus and Reckless Attack features work with any melee attack, not merely Str-based ones.

It'd probably be too powerful for a feat.

However, if you narrow it down more, you can get something out of it. Make it a niche. For example:

Concept: Rage-based Archer - Zen Rage is now Flow State, and acts as a Dexterity-based Rage. Both Flow State (rage effect) and Disciplined Blow lose the "melee" requirement.
Concept: Bartitsu/Wisened Mentor - Zen Rage is defined to only effects Wisdom, while also giving a Shillelagh effect while raging (gives everything your original concept does, but effectively removes the use of Reckless Attack.
Concept: Rage Prophet - a la the Pathfinder class of the same name, this subclass gives Zen Rage, but also gives a Moment of Clarity effect, so the barbarian can use a bonus action to suspend the rage for a round, giving it the ability to cast spells for a single turn.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-13, 11:26 AM
After looking at the Tome of Battle again, I took a stab at updating this with some more Diamond Mind-inspired abilities.

jiriku
2018-11-13, 07:30 PM
I like.

You might consider further broadening Diamond Will. For example, use your reaction to ignore one source of disadvantage when making an ability check. But really it's fine as-is.

I like that Emerald Slice auto-hits when the defender can't make Dex saves -- it encourages teamwork, with allies setting up conditions that will enable you to land big hits. How does it interact with the -5/+10 from Great Weapon Master?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-14, 09:30 AM
I like.

You might consider further broadening Diamond Will. For example, use your reaction to ignore one source of disadvantage when making an ability check. But really it's fine as-is.

I like that Emerald Slice auto-hits when the defender can't make Dex saves -- it encourages teamwork, with allies setting up conditions that will enable you to land big hits. How does it interact with the -5/+10 from Great Weapon Master?
No attack roll to take a penalty to, so the feat can't apply. I'll add a bit more detail.