PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder 2.0 Advice Request: Creating a Mystic Theurge

Sarone
2018-08-31, 02:08 PM
Good afternoon everyone.

I recently gotten the Pathfinder 2.0 BETA rulebook and I am curious if any one else has created a Mystic Theurge type character.

Based on the book options, I am thinking of going the Sorcerer class and using the Cleric Multiclass feats.

What do you all thing of this?

Sarone
2018-08-31, 02:10 PM
Place Holder for the build.

Zman
2018-09-01, 08:16 AM
With the multiclass feats work you’ve got a lot of different options to go with. Just make sure you gear up to an 18/16 or 16/16 in your main stats at character creation.

Cleric(Wizard)
Wizard(Cleric)
Divine Sorcerer(Wizard)
ArcaneSorcerer(Cleric)

Maybe even
Bard(Cleric)
Duid(Wizard)

And if you’re crazy...
Fighter or Paladin or Ranger or Barbarian(Wizard/Cleric) You’ve got ten feats, it takes four for full multiclass spellcasting, five with breadth for spell slots. You can get 8th level spells in divine and arcane casting who’ll being a full martial. But it comes online kind of late.

I’m sure long term we’ll end up with a PRC multiclass fear chain better for this, but stick you’re got options. IMO, you’re probabaly best off doing Cleric/Wizard or Wizard/Cleric. Each comes with its own pros and cons and depends on if you want Arcane or Dovine as your primary. I’d lean towards Cleric(Wizard) for Armor, hp, and more healing.

Serafina
2018-09-01, 09:43 AM
Right now there is no way to avoid being MAD outside of going Druid/Cleric, which only really gives you extra cantrips and spell slots without adding the benefit of using a different list. This will obviously change if we ever get multiclass feats for Bard or Sorcerer, in which case you can instantly go Sorcerer/Bard or Bard/Sorcerer and mix Occult and any other casting that way.

Sorcerers have the advantage of being able to use any spell list already, so you'd go either Primal or Occult and then mix it with either Divine or Arcane.
But they have the disadvantage of not getting class feats at 1st, 6th, 10th and 16th level (instead getting fixed stuff from their Bloodline), so with that and Multiclassing your build will be very set already.

Either the Wizard- or Cleric-spellcasting Feats take up four feats, earliest available at 2nd, 4th, 12th and 18th level. For our Sorcerer, that'd leave feats at 8th, 14th and 20th level. Conveniently, that's the levels where you actually open up new feat-options.
At a glance, your strongest choices seem to be Quickened Casting (even if it is only once per day), Effortless Concentration, and your 20th-level feat depends on what you like.
If you get any 1st-level feats, most likely from being Human, then Counterspell would be stronger for you than for others both on account of having more spell slots, and knowing more spells. Familiars also seem strong, and while they are currently worded such that you only "prepare" extra spells, that would apply to your multiclassing spells increasing your versatility.

As for other classes being used as a Base:
- you could make a highly versatile Bard with Versatile Performance, Esoteric Scholar, Additional Heightening, Mental Prowess, Allegro, Mental Stronghold and Fatal Aria, and multiclassing
- Clerics offer a solid chassis, at the very least. And all the various deities offer a lot of options.
- Druids can just flat-out get an animal companion, and Storm Druids can ignore weather for spells (though I have no idea how powerful that is). Wild Shape synergizes poorly, but the other three orders all seem to work fine to me.

1, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 20

Zman
2018-09-01, 09:58 AM
Serafina, MAD? Umm, it’s easy to start with 16s in two stats. At the very least a stat boosting item can give you an 18. Even if a stat that starts at a 14, it rapidly catches up to an optimized one only being +1 modifier behind at 5th and 10th levels and beyond.

P2 really solves most of the MAD problems of previous editions. It at the least mitigates them substantially allowing for two good casting stats.