PDA

View Full Version : Character help/advice

Someloser
2018-08-31, 05:51 PM
I wanna play a character who is quite young and maby naive. He would have'd have a persute for knowledge and maby an artifact. I've chosen the sage background and gone for astrology. I'm wondering what class and race would best suit this.
If you have ideas for class, race or backstory I'd be greatful.
(if this affects anything my party currently consists of a bard, a druid and a monk)

Banana3lf
2018-08-31, 10:51 PM
A rogue with expertise in investigation and insight as sort of a detective could work well for your party composition. I personally would take variant human with crossbow expert feat and go scout rogue for extra expertises. Possibly picking up sharpshooter and for sure throwing my second highest number into intellegence and third into wisdom.

dragoeniex
2018-09-01, 12:50 AM
If homebrew additions are allowed, you might consider one of the subclasses from this revised artificer list: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LAEn6ZdC6lYUKhQ67Qk.

There are a lot of options, but they all come down to characters experimenting with science, gadgets, or magic. You could easily have yourself a bright-eyed, chipper young scientist all sure they're going to go out and make the world a better place with their creations. Maybe they're in danger of being taken advantage of, or maybe they're already in a situation where someone is using them for their products in exchange for rewards that always keep getting delayed. ... Or maybe the naivety just makes your good intentions more likely to literally blow up.

It's an intelligence half-caster build, bit sturdier than wizards and might fit better with your party build. I've only seen a couple of the subclasses in play personally, but what I've interacted with seems very balanced.

If sticking with official sources, I'm a fan of making traditionally-mopey character concepts into balls of sunshine. A warlock would be fun to toss a well-meaning, earnest personality onto- especially if you went with a more sinister patron your character hasn't caught onto yet. As far as they know, this pact thing is working out really great for them so far. They're going to help people! :smallsmile:

Which is gold for giving your DM ammo in form of plot hooks and dramatic moments to lob at you.

The top option lets you essentially make your own important objects, and maybe you have a cherished gadget given to you by a mentor or something. The lower option is ripe with opportunity for enchanted or cursed items bound to your pact.

Not sure if you meant astrology or astronomy. Both could be cool with a great old one patron, though.