PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Hobgoblin Warlord Attack Bonus

gloryblaze
2018-08-31, 09:02 PM
The hobgoblin warlord in the Monster Manual is CR 6. It has Strength 16 (+3) and a +3 proficiency bonus. As far as I can tell, it should have a +6 to hit with melee weapon attacks. Instead, it has a +9 across all three of its attacks. My first thought was that it might have a +3 sword, but a) its damage rolls still only have a +3, not a +6; and b) it has the +9 for its sword attacks, its shield bash, and also its javelins. My next thought was that it might be a typo that has been corrected, but it's not in the latest MM errata (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/MM-Errata.pdf). Am I missing something that would give the hobbo an extra +3 on its attack rolls, or is this just some sort of weird error?

Lunali
2018-08-31, 09:26 PM
The warlord has relatively low damage for its CR, the higher attack bonus makes up for this. If you really care about where it comes from, treat it like a fighting style.

Unoriginal
2018-09-01, 02:14 AM
The warlord has relatively low damage for its CR, the higher attack bonus makes up for this. If you really care about where it comes from, treat it like a fighting style.

This makes the most sense. Hobgoblins are great soldiers, and the Warlord has to be the best around.