PDA

View Full Version : Is a 7 int, 7 wis, 5 cha character playable outside of combat?

Zhentarim
2018-08-31, 10:24 PM
It seems like a very min-max build, but I’m tempted to play a moron in a game.

Boggartbae
2018-08-31, 10:36 PM
Yes, as long as you make every encounter turn to combat eventually.

I've almost done exactly this before, but had 26 cha on an orc sorcerer. It was a lot of fun to RP, but I don't think it would have been the same without the force of personality overcompensating for the 7 int and 5 wis, although a better RPer than me could probably make it work.

dascarletm
2018-08-31, 10:39 PM
Totally playable. Succeeding does not equal playing. You'll contribute to the story of the game, even if it isn't "optimal."

As a side-note, skill ranks will eventually outshine a -2 or -3 attribute. You'll be alright.

Geddy2112
2018-08-31, 10:50 PM
As a side-note, skill ranks will eventually outshine a -2 or -3 attribute. You'll be alright.

This is really important to remember. For skills, the untrained savant with 18 in the ability for the skill and the joe blow with a rank in the class skill and a 10 in the governing ability score have the same bonus, a +4.

As a caster, that would be a near unplayable build because you would be unable to cast. You could play it, but your character would not do much (even in combat). Strong physical stats have a lot of uses outside of combat, particularly at low levels. Also, just because your character is not optimized for social encounters, knowledge checks etc does not mean you have to sit in the corner during these kind of interactions. You get to roleplay as much as the rest of the group.

exelsisxax
2018-08-31, 11:05 PM
Totally playable. Succeeding does not equal playing. You'll contribute to the story of the game, even if it isn't "optimal."

At the one skill you can afford to put ranks into, I guess.

This is playable and garbage. Decide how that works out for you.

Boggartbae
2018-08-31, 11:14 PM

It's not garbage, they'll just have to think about how their character would act in social situations and
RP accordingly. I bet it would be really fun to do actually.

Also, there's nothing wrong with adding a little bit of meta knowledge out of character. If you have a good plan or contribution, don't be afraid to share it with the group, and then just RP/pretend that your character had no input.

ChaosStar
2018-08-31, 11:29 PM

Not with a class with low skill points. Rogue, Bard, or Ranger sure, but not Fighter or others with 2+Int Mod Skills.

Celestia
2018-09-01, 12:39 AM
With stats like those, you should try and convince the other members of your party to start a rabbit farm. Though, stay away from married women.

Ashiel
2018-09-01, 02:52 AM
Well. You're not the brightest crayon in the box but I've met folks like this. It's not even the end of the world. If you're human, you're promised at least 2 skill points / level. If you're playing Pathfinder, you could get another +1/level from favored class if you wanted, and even more if you're playing a class with a decent base skill total (4-8). For many skills you don't need tons of ranks to reach general competency either (the DCs for many skills are pretty reasonable even early in the game with take-10 and take-20 options).

As to how to roleplay them, that's up to you. Could be serious, could be comical. You might even consider something like someone who didn't receive a good basic education, who's prone to daydreaming, and is socially challenged. Rising from those ashes is a big part of becoming a hero, in a lot of ways. There's no right or wrong way to play it though. Since you'd probably have rather robust physical scores, a jock or meathead hero might be a neat way to go with it.

But it's most certainly playable outside of combat. It's actually kind of hard to be unplayable outside of combat.

dascarletm
2018-09-01, 08:36 AM

As ChaosStar says below, rogue bard and ranger would have 4-7 points (depending on if you are human)

Not with a class with low skill points. Rogue, Bard, or Ranger sure, but not Fighter or others with 2+Int Mod Skills.

Thac0 Redeye
2018-09-01, 10:05 AM
some time ago we had a player that played a kobold fighter who was Int 4 Cha 6 and I don't remember the Wis. He was good with the hack and slash. when it came to RPing it was great. during social situations he would blurt in stupid suggestions and generally be annoying. very fun. He played it comical. Sometimes it was frustrating since I was the scout. When I was going to sneak up to look he would shout at the top of his lungs for everyone to be quiet because the sneaky guy was going to be sneaky.

Recently I played a moron Paladin. Very fun. I fashioned him after the paladin in the web series Journey Quest. If you haven't seen this youtube it. even just the first episode, The paladin starts attacking the water of a small creek because he thinks he needs to kill the water to gain entrance to a dungeon.

So all that being said- go for it.

137beth
2018-09-01, 12:22 PM
If you are a human, pick which skills you want to focus on and and you can do fine.

Well. You're not the brightest crayon in the box but I've met folks like this. It's not even the end of the world. If you're human, you're promised at least 2 skill points / level. If you're playing Pathfinder, you could get another +1/level from favored class if you wanted, and even more if you're playing a class with a decent base skill total (4-8). For many skills you don't need tons of ranks to reach general competency either (the DCs for many skills are pretty reasonable even early in the game with take-10 and take-20 options).

As to how to roleplay them, that's up to you. Could be serious, could be comical. You might even consider something like someone who didn't receive a good basic education, who's prone to daydreaming, and is socially challenged. Rising from those ashes is a big part of becoming a hero, in a lot of ways. There's no right or wrong way to play it though. Since you'd probably have rather robust physical scores, a jock or meathead hero might be a neat way to go with it.

But it's most certainly playable outside of combat. It's actually kind of hard to be unplayable outside of combat.

Not related to the thread topic, but it's nice to see you back.

Nifft
2018-09-01, 12:26 PM
Karaoke is absolute proof that lack of capability doesn't mean lack of participation, nor lack of fun.

Of course you can play out of combat. You're just going to be terrible at most of it. That's not a problem if you enjoy it.

Zhentarim
2018-09-01, 01:04 PM
This character, I think, will be a strix whose wings were injured in battle, giving him the wing-clipped trait. Now “useless” in his own words against fighting cheliax, my character tried to retire to obscurity in the shackles, but was shanghaied in a pub. His one skill is fly.

ShurikVch
2018-09-01, 02:00 PM
This character, I think, will be a strix whose wings were injured in battle, giving him the wing-clipped trait.Well, Strix gets +2 Dex; maybe, Tactile Trapsmith feat?..
Wing-Clipped gives +2 Climb, so if you will use Climb for Exemplar's Persuasive Performance...
Might Makes Right (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a) feat - isn't just for Orcs... :smallwink:
Also, there are some ways for Barbarian to use Str (instead Cha) for Intimidate checks

As a caster, that would be a near unplayable build because you would be unable to cast. You could play it, but your character would not do much (even in combat). That is - unless he would make a Tainted Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm#taintedSorcerer)

Zhentarim
2018-09-01, 06:59 PM
Well, Strix gets +2 Dex; maybe, Tactile Trapsmith feat?..
Wing-Clipped gives +2 Climb, so if you will use Climb for Exemplar's Persuasive Performance...
Might Makes Right (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a) feat - isn't just for Orcs... :smallwink:
Also, there are some ways for Barbarian to use Str (instead Cha) for Intimidate checks

That is - unless he would make a Tainted Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm#taintedSorcerer)

I like both of those ideas. I wish there was a reputation feature on these sites.

Ashiel
2018-09-02, 02:05 AM
If you are a human, pick which skills you want to focus on and and you can do fine.
Not related to the thread topic, but it's nice to see you back.
Thank you. I was...well, I'm glad to be back too. :smallamused:
EDIT: Missed you guys, I did.

KillianHawkeye
2018-09-02, 10:32 AM
I recommend playing it for comedic effect.

I played a similar character (Pathfinder Brawler) who had all 7s in the mental stats. It was a total blast to play him!

Your character should be closer to Forrest Gump or a stereotypical hillbilly rather than someone who's really too stupid to contribute anything. Don't be afraid to say stupid things to NPCs, or not understand when your teammates are trying to be subtle with a Bluff or something. Occasionally say a wrong word in a sentence. But try not to intentionally ruin anything that's actually important.

I think a good idea is to ask for guidance from the other Player Characters about stuff. Like anytime we encountered anything new (if it wasn't immediately hostile), my character would ask the group "Is it good or bad?" in order to know how to react.

Also, if you like doing funny voices, an idiot character is a golden opportunity you should NOT pass up! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

denthor
2018-09-02, 12:44 PM
Difficult but doable.

You make no plans everything said to you is answered with I had to do what I had to do.

You can like or dislike things for no reason

Your opinions are not changeable I hate... every time you see what you hate you attack without changing enemies until one of you is dead.

Be pigeon in a chess game. Strut around I won the argument.

Catch phrase 2 you better then me...didn't think so

ShurikVch
2018-09-02, 02:06 PM
Also, if the Dex (or Con) of the Strix is higher than the Str - check the Noble Scion (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/noble-scion/) feat (E and I options)

Zhentarim
2018-09-02, 07:42 PM
Also, if the Dex (or Con) of the Strix is higher than the Str - check the Noble Scion (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/noble-scion/) feat (E and I options)

E is Highhelm and I is Kyonin. Would a decendant of a elf or dwarf and a strix still be a strix?

jdizzlean
2018-09-02, 08:54 PM
It seems like a very min-max build, but I’m tempted to play a moron in a game.

some time ago we had a player that played a kobold fighter who was Int 4 Cha 6 and I don't remember the Wis. He was good with the hack and slash. when it came to RPing it was great. during social situations he would blurt in stupid suggestions and generally be annoying. very fun. He played it comical. Sometimes it was frustrating since I was the scout. When I was going to sneak up to look he would shout at the top of his lungs for everyone to be quiet because the sneaky guy was going to be sneaky.

Recently I played a moron Paladin. Very fun. I fashioned him after the paladin in the web series Journey Quest. If you haven't seen this youtube it. even just the first episode, The paladin starts attacking the water of a small creek because he thinks he needs to kill the water to gain entrance to a dungeon.

So all that being said- go for it.

I recommend playing it for comedic effect.

Your character should be closer to Forrest Gump or a stereotypical hillbilly rather than someone who's really too stupid to contribute anything. Don't be afraid to say stupid things to NPCs, or not understand when your teammates are trying to be subtle with a Bluff or something. Occasionally say a wrong word in a sentence. But try not to intentionally ruin anything that's actually important.

Also, if you like doing funny voices, an idiot character is a golden opportunity you should NOT pass up! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

i would immediately build a kender.....

Seharvepernfan
2018-09-03, 01:44 PM
7 int on a human is only -1 skill points

a halforc barbarian would still have 2 full skills, a human 3
ranger or rogue would have more

You could easily be the athlete; the physical get-there guy, the door breaker

ShurikVch
2018-09-03, 05:59 PM
E is Highhelm and I is Kyonin. Would a decendant of a elf or dwarf and a strix still be a strix?How the heck you deciphered it? :smallconfused: Is there some convenient reference sheet which I'm completely missed?

Anyway, even if it's correct - Kyonin have Greengold (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Greengold), which is "a cosmopolitan city inhabited by members of every civilized race". Thus, strix noble is completely possible...

Also, one more idea: Binder class is non-ability-dependent, and isn't, exactly, strictly combat-oriented... :smallwink:

Zhentarim
2018-09-03, 06:04 PM
How the heck you deciphered it? :smallconfused: Is there some convenient reference sheet which I'm completely missed?

Anyway, even if it's correct - Kyonin have Greengold (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Greengold), which is "a cosmopolitan city inhabited by members of every civilized race". Thus, strix noble is completely possible...

Also, one more idea: Binder class is non-ability-dependent, and isn't, exactly, strictly combat-oriented... :smallwink:

archives of nethys has an entry that deciphers the letters. All I had to do was cross reference the pfsrd and archives of nethys.

ericgrau
2018-09-05, 09:07 AM
People exaggerate mental stats too much. 10-11 is average. That isn't even that much below average. Just the cha is pushing it. He's quite dumb and naive but far from a moron or being mentally disabled. He has no social skills at all except he can handle the very basics like "hello" and "major crimes are rude". Along with any social foul the party tells him about. He may not excel at mental challenges but he's more than playable. He can still use skills, random magical toys he found and so on.

Andor13
2018-09-05, 10:35 AM
Int 7 Wis 7 isn't that terrible. You've met people like that. Tends to get things wrong. Unobservant. Probably leaves things all over the place because they forget to put them back when they are done. Often misses the point in conversations. 7 is not "Can't eat or dress yourself" dumb.

5 Chr is pretty bad. It's one point lower than a troll. It's two points lower than a Vulture. At that point your character has some significant difficulty in communicating. Maybe like the mumbling guy from Office Space, or (if you're playing for comedy) verbal aphasia like the Sheriff from "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"

Erit
2018-09-05, 02:11 PM
This is really important to remember. For skills, the untrained savant with 18 in the ability for the skill and the joe blow with a rank in the class skill and a 10 in the governing ability score have the same bonus, a +4.

Worth noting that this only applies in Pathfinder, not 3.5e.

Zhentarim
2018-09-05, 04:31 PM
Int 7 Wis 7 isn't that terrible. You've met people like that. Tends to get things wrong. Unobservant. Probably leaves things all over the place because they forget to put them back when they are done. Often misses the point in conversations. 7 is not "Can't eat or dress yourself" dumb.

5 Chr is pretty bad. It's one point lower than a troll. It's two points lower than a Vulture. At that point your character has some significant difficulty in communicating. Maybe like the mumbling guy from Office Space, or (if you're playing for comedy) verbal aphasia like the Sheriff from "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"

Heh...I made a 31 on the ACT, a 2100 on the SAT, have an IQ 2 standard deviations above the mean population, yet don’t notice my surroundings, leave things everywhere, am very forgetful, and people talk behind my back about being a “rainman” because I don’t come across as very intelligent when people meet me in person. I stutter horribly and make lots of errors due to my mind wandering off easy. Its been a struggle for me to hold steady work due to my distractibility and lack of focus, but I can answer nearly any question asked of me, earning me the nickname “the human search engine”. I also do well in logical puzzles so long as I get everything involved in the puzzle on paper so I can look at the puzzle as a whole. I forgot where I was going with this, but I suspect I’d have 16 and a wis of at most 5. I’m not sure what my cha would be, but I’ve noticed my compliments are usually taken as mortal insults and my attempts to be stern are laughed at.

I’m hoping one day I’ll be recognized for my skill with theory and I can do more hands-off work one day instead of work I’m bad at.

I guess a low mental stat character would be like me minus my skill with general knowledge, written language, mathematics , and logical analysis?