PDA

View Full Version : Superhero M&M 3E Tools Question

Haruspex_Pariah
2018-09-01, 02:38 AM
I see rules for no tools, Improvised Tools, and there's even a Multi-Tool listed in the equipment. But nothing about actual skill-specific tools, as in, those things that normal people need to use the skill.

If the text is somewhere there and I've just missed it that's great, but if not, is it fair to consider a skill tool to be 1-point Equipment? It would be kind of weird to have someone trained in Treatment running around patching people up with a Multi-Tool.

Though since some skills have wide applications, maybe each tool has to be specialized as well? Technology is a standalone skill, but it makes sense if ordnance disposal and security bypassing don't use the same toolkit.

Small thing, but it kind of bugged me.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-01, 10:48 AM
I think it's one of those things where you can just assume you have the right tools to use your skills?

Haruspex_Pariah
2018-09-01, 12:08 PM
I think it's one of those things where you can just assume you have the right tools to use your skills?

You could be right, but then the loss of those tools has to be a possibility otherwise the mechanics dealing with their absence seem irrelevant. A Complication, maybe? That seems like an elegant way to go about it.

DeanH
2018-09-01, 06:14 PM
It probably depends on the tone your GM is going for. Most probably wouldn't want to worry about it unless you were captured or incognito or the like, basically a free feature with removable. In a more realistic, low powered game, it might be different.

Haruspex_Pariah
2018-09-02, 10:42 AM
It probably depends on the tone your GM is going for. Most probably wouldn't want to worry about it unless you were captured or incognito or the like, basically a free feature with removable. In a more realistic, low powered game, it might be different.

Yeah, sounds about right. M&M 3E is one of those GM-vigilant systems so maybe that's what the designers intended with regards to tools.

Draz74
2018-09-03, 05:14 PM
The Utility Gadgets Guide has several basic toolkits (First-Aid Kit, Evidence Kit ...) for 1 equipment point each. HeroLab, for what it's worth, follows this precedent and has "Basic Toolkit" listed as 1 ep.

Haruspex_Pariah
2018-09-04, 01:03 AM
The Utility Gadgets Guide has several basic toolkits (First-Aid Kit, Evidence Kit ...) for 1 equipment point each. HeroLab, for what it's worth, follows this precedent and has "Basic Toolkit" listed as 1 ep.

I think I found the Guide you're talking about. Assuming I'm reading the same thing that you are, the "Burglary Tools" paragraph under Spy-Tech also states:

"...The default assumption is that characters trained in particular skills have access to the necessary tools to use those skills without incurring a circumstance penalty for doing so, unless a complication arises that deprives the characters of those tools. So ordinary tools have no point cost and and do not need to be listed among a character's equipment..."

So...I guess that answers my question. Took a bit of searching though.

Draz74
2018-09-04, 10:26 AM
Interesting. It seems the rules support playing either way, then, depending on which Gadget Guide you look at. (Mine was the Utility Gadget Guide, not the Spy-Tech.)