PDA

View Full Version : What to do if the PC makes 8th level.

ZorroGames
2018-09-01, 10:56 AM
“The Temporary Experiment” who is my now highest level character.

Currently 6th level, ST 20, DE 10, CO 16, IN 10, WI 14, CH 8.

Fighter, Earth Genasi, Mariner’s Plate, unique +1, +2 Long Sword, +1 Short Sword. GWF FS (started with mundane Maul and Great Sword.)

Options at 8th:

+2 CO (Yea, hit points)

+2 WI (possibility Cleric MC.)

Feat TBD.

Suggestions?

Unoriginal
2018-09-01, 10:59 AM
I don't think MCing as a Cleric would be worth it. What's motivating you to consider it?

ZorroGames
2018-09-01, 11:06 AM
I don't think MCing as a Cleric would be worth it. What's motivating you to consider it?

Pretty much Knowledge Domain skills, something to concentrate on - Bless, and Light Cantrip (no Darkvision,) to diversify the character.

Kadesh
2018-09-01, 12:00 PM
You get Magic Initiate at 8th level if you wish for Guidance, Light and 1/day 1st level spell which could be pretty cool. If you can get the Downtime, you can spend resources to get Proficiency in the Intelligence skills if you wish (which would go nicely with your "just realised" Magic Initiate feat as you unlock your zealous attitude).

What's your Archetype? It's a shame you sacked your Dexterity, Rogue could be pretty decent.

CTurbo
2018-09-01, 12:37 PM
Ritual Caster to give you something to do outside of combat

Sentinel would be a great pickup if nobody else has it. Mobile, Alert, Lucky are all good.

GWM is always good or you could take Blade Mastery

ZorroGames
2018-09-01, 08:51 PM
Ritual Caster to give you something to do outside of combat

Sentinel would be a great pickup if nobody else has it. Mobile, Alert, Lucky are all good.

GWM is always good or you could take Blade Mastery

AL - each week is a different team.

ZorroGames
2018-09-01, 08:52 PM
You get Magic Initiate at 8th level if you wish for Guidance, Light and 1/day 1st level spell which could be pretty cool. If you can get the Downtime, you can spend resources to get Proficiency in the Intelligence skills if you wish (which would go nicely with your "just realised" Magic Initiate feat as you unlock your zealous attitude).

What's your Archetype? It's a shame you sacked your Dexterity, Rogue could be pretty decent.

Battlemaster.

Laserlight
2018-09-01, 09:01 PM
Pretty much Knowledge Domain skills, something to concentrate on - Bless, and Light Cantrip (no Darkvision,) to diversify the character.

A fighter, who presumably is in the front line and liable to get hit, may not be the best choice for Concentration spells.

Even if you do MC cleric, I don't see what you need more WIS for. It doesn't help you with Bless, Light, etc, or knowing more skills. You're not going to be attacking with WIS, I hope?

ZorroGames
2018-09-01, 09:09 PM
A fighter, who presumably is in the front line and liable to get hit, may not be the best choice for Concentration spells.

Even if you do MC cleric, I don't see what you need more WIS for. It doesn't help you with Bless, Light, etc, or knowing more skills. You're not going to be attacking with WIS, I hope?

So are you going to answer my question or just kvetch?

Kadesh
2018-09-02, 02:15 AM
I think Cleric hurts you more than you gain from it, delaying powerful Fighter abilities like Indomitable and the additional bonus feats.

Citan
2018-09-02, 11:25 AM
“The Temporary Experiment” who is my now highest level character.

Currently 6th level, ST 20, DE 10, CO 16, IN 10, WI 14, CH 8.

Fighter, Earth Genasi, Mariner’s Plate, unique +1, +2 Long Sword, +1 Short Sword. GWF FS (started with mundane Maul and Great Sword.)

Options at 8th:

+2 CO (Yea, hit points)

+2 WI (possibility Cleric MC.)

Feat TBD.

Suggestions?
Multiclass Cleric is something you can already do with 14 WIS, so I'd say +2 WIS is out whether you decide to do it or not.*
As someone already suggested, Ritual Caster may be the best way to get diversity and party usefulness without delaying progression: Druid IF you like the idea of speaking to animals (and everything that can come out of it), otherwise Wizard brings the most "everyday useful" rituals (Alarm, Phantom Steed, Gentle Repose, Leomund's, Unseen Servant, Detect Magic...).

If you want hit points, Tough may be a better deal than +2 CON. Then again the extra bit on CON saves will certainly make a difference sometimes in your character's life, so it's kinda a toss-up unless you know how often those saves would come up.

For a melee Battlemaster, Mobile and Sentinel are both always great choices too.

And if you feel like

* On that point, it can be a good idea, but note you're delaying 3rd attack by a very significant amount. Whether or not it's worth enough is up to you to decide. TBH though, I'd find myself only 2-3 1st level slots a bit limited.
Conversely, although Bless is a very interesting pick, I'd rather go Druid myself simply because Wild Shape, even with non-Moon level 2 limitations, is a whole class in itself. And Shepherd's aura could help you in various ways, but especially the "Shove" one. :)

My very personal rating, without knowing anything about you, your party, your campaign or your DM, would be...
1. Mobile | Sentinel.
2. Ritual Caster: Wizard (goes up to 1st place if you think your DM would play with you and give several chances of learning rituals -or if you expect to often get to have sessions with Wizards, you can ask them for copy nicely).
3. Multiclass Life Cleric 1 / Knowledge Cleric 2 / Tempest Cleric 3 / Shepherd Druid 2 / Land Druid 3 (or any mix of those) (if you are ready to sacrifice the 3rd attack, it's a worthy option to build a WIS gish).

bid
2018-09-02, 11:32 AM
3. Multiclass Life Cleric 1 / Knowledge Cleric 2 / Tempest Cleric 3 / Shepherd Druid 2 / Land Druid 3 (or any mix of those) (if you are ready to sacrifice the 3rd attack, it's a worthy option to build a WIS gish).
You could even cleric now, BM 6 / cleric 1 might be better than an extra SD.

Sigreid
2018-09-02, 02:52 PM
You could consider that TWF feat that will let you use both of your magic swords effectively at the same time.

It does sound like you want a little added versatility though. The Ritual Caster feat can let you do that.

Finger6842
2018-09-03, 09:13 PM
It would depend on the kind of campaign, if it's encounter heavy the Alert Feat might be great, Lucky is obviously pretty good regardless. If you do go with Magic Initiate you can pick up Find Familiar for the combat advantage.

You can directly affect AC (and saving throws) by just putting 2 in Dex as well.

Laserlight
2018-09-03, 10:16 PM
So are you going to answer my question or just kvetch?

That's "answering No to the part of your question about WIS". :-) Take away the bad options and see what's left.

Unoriginal
2018-09-04, 07:51 AM
It might sound a bit crazy, but have you thought about MCing with Ranger?

Zanthy1
2018-09-04, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't multiclass. Either do the con or take a feat. If you like keeping track of more things then a feat can give tons of cool advantages, whereas if you're more roleplay oriented and not a huge fan of remembering and tracking all sorts of possible actions, the bonus Con will be hitpoints and save boosting. (I would note that hit points rule, and getting 20 con and then also taking the Tough feat when you level would be swanky).

BaconAwesome
2018-09-04, 08:33 AM
Ritual Caster: Wizard (goes up to 1st place if you think your DM would play with you and give several chances of learning rituals -or if you expect to often get to have sessions with Wizards, you can ask them for copy nicely).

Something I never thought of before - if Adventurers League lets you play with a number of different parties, does that raise the relative effectiveness of Wizards, Ritual Casters and Tomelocks by giving them access to more potentially cooperative book casters?

Toofey
2018-09-04, 10:05 AM
Something I never thought of before - if Adventurers League lets you play with a number of different parties, does that raise the relative effectiveness of Wizards, Ritual Casters and Tomelocks by giving them access to more potentially cooperative book casters?

Yes, but I think you get a specific number of down days with each adventure so there are limits on how much magic you can trade.

Sigreid
2018-09-04, 10:16 AM
Yes, but I think you get a specific number of down days with each adventure so there are limits on how much magic you can trade.

Didn't I read in another thread that they just severely restricted gold as well?

Toofey
2018-09-04, 10:30 AM
I don't even know if they restricted it, the treasure system if fairly restrictive this ed. You look at what you get for adventuring and then what things cost, and it really kind of is murderhoboing.

Sigreid
2018-09-04, 10:37 AM
I don't even know if they restricted it, the treasure system if fairly restrictive this ed. You look at what you get for adventuring and then what things cost, and it really kind of is murderhoboing.

I'd understood that in the new season you only got x gold per hour played, no matter what the normal adventure rewards would be.