PDA

View Full Version : Build idea: the Knockback

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 03:19 AM
Just for fun:
I roughly imagined a character that crunch-wise is built of at least 3-6 levels of battlemaster fighter and 3-4 levels of open hand monk, two feats (martial adept from level one, then polearm master) and the potential to annoy the GM.
The general tactics would be to kite and use a combination of the pushing attack maneuver and the open hand technique allowing you to push an opponent to... well, push an opponent up to 30 feet away from the character (on a flurry, not gonna lose out on the other attacks of course). A bit of maneuvering should be sufficient to cause chaos, shoving people off of cliffs and into melee range of other characters or into natural or magical hazards (traps, hunger of hadar, spike growth etc.).
The polearm master feat would enable him to attack and push an enemy closing in on him 15 feet away (open hand technique sadly only works on flurries) as a reaction, possibly costing melee-only attackers a valuable turn.

Are there any other forms of knockback effects, ideally stackable or better than the proposed? I know tempest clerics can push opponents when dealing lightning damage, for example, but other than dipping 6 levels of that class and 6 levels of lore bard to steal elemental weapon from the paladin‘s list i don’t see a way to properly incorporate that, and on its own it doesn’t have the „punch“ (not damage-wise, the pure distance) i‘m after.

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 03:24 AM
Fluff: martial artist that went into exile from the mental strain that is society and became a mountain hermit learned by watching goats and other roaming animals that not only damaging, but also location is important in a fight, and created the sly ram fist fighting style, able to (literally and spiritually) pushing anything annoying away. Or whatever, this is a thought experiment more than a real character i‘m likely to ever play.

Arkhios
2018-09-02, 07:43 AM
FWIW, you don't have to use tags if you think they're dumb.

Other than that, a slightly off topic question came to my mind.

Does the opposite end of a quarterstaff via Polearm Master count as a monk weapon, thus enabling the use of dexterity for its attack and damage rolls, and even benefit from Martial Arts die at higher monk levels?

I'm AFB, and I've forgotten the exact wording of the feat.

Kadesh
2018-09-02, 08:36 AM
Why would you want to annoy a GM? If they're getting annoyed by you beating their challenges, then all you do is make it harder for yourself. A DM will begin to shut the build down by removing the cliffs etc. You'll want to keep things knocked away, actually away. Having support with difficult terrain (Caltrops, Erupting Earth, Gust of Wind etc) works well. Greater Dragonmark Storms Half Elf can do this quite well.

TheFryingPen
2018-09-02, 10:19 AM
You could add swords bard for the mobile flourish. Knocks back 5ft + inspiration die and you can move up to the enemy afterwards which should help positioning for further knockbacks.

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 10:21 AM
Two of three people in this thread do not get my jokes. Do i suck at humor or...?

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 10:22 AM
You could add swords bard for the mobile flourish. Knocks back 5ft + inspiration die and you can move up to the enemy afterwards which should help positioning for further knockbacks.

A little MAD, but yeah, i can see it. Thanks!

Kadesh
2018-09-02, 10:45 AM
Two of three people in this thread do not get my jokes. Do i suck at humor or...?

Well, you are from Germany...

Derpaligtr
2018-09-02, 11:07 AM
My favorite knockback character is a V Huma. Cleric.

Pretty much any will do, even the life cleric. War Cleric might be the least useful for this as they already get bonus action attacks, but it still works.

Feats:
Level 1: Prodigy Expertise in Athletics
Level 4 and level 8: Charger or Shield Master

Expertise Athletics is critical to just flat out not losing on contests.

Shield Master gives you a Shove, at-will, you don't have to knock the target prone... I mean, prone is better... But whatever.

Cleric might be the only class that really gets a good use out of charger, maybe the druid too, but being able to dash + knock back a creature

On top of your at-will shoving ability, you're a full caster. Your Str can stay at 16 thanks to expertise and bless and you can start with a good con and lowish wis as you can take support spells.

TheFryingPen
2018-09-02, 11:28 AM
There's also thunderous smite. You'd have to precast it to work with Flurry of blows though.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-02, 11:51 AM
Warlock 2/Sorcerer 3+

Grab the repelling blast and lance of lethargy invocations. Repelling blast knocks back 10' per beam regardless of creature size, lance of lethargy reduces movement by 10' for 1 creature that you hit per round. grab quicken from the sorcerer metamagic, at level 5 you can knock anything back 40'.

Personally I would actually drop the lance of lethargy invocation and grab agonizing blast, then take it to warlock 5 for the pulling invocation.