PDA

View Full Version : Sounding like an idiot but...

cullynthedwarf
2018-09-02, 04:27 AM
About to run the first part of Stormking for my table, and I'm am trying to find info on all these NPCs that have been mentioned but all I'm seeing is something in bold at the end of the base description. For example Kella Darkhope NE Spy human female. Do I need to make her? Or is this something I missed in the DMG?

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 04:31 AM
About to run the first part of Stormking for my table, and I'm am trying to find info on all these NPCs that have been mentioned but all I'm seeing is something in bold at the end of the base description. For example Kella Darkhope NE Spy human female. Do I need to make her? Or is this something I missed in the DMG?

„Make“ as in „create stats“? No. The Monster Manual should have stats for the „spy“ monster or whatever she is.

cullynthedwarf
2018-09-02, 04:47 AM
Or its in the Mon Manual... Nm I'm an idiot.

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 05:19 AM
Or its in the Mon Manual... Nm I'm an idiot.

No, you’re not, you’re not used to how wotc handles things, selling you a book that needs three more books to use.
A practice which i don’t condemn, i understand that their employees gotta eat, i just meant to elaborate that i can see how it’s confusing.
Keep DMing, keep asking if you don’t understand anything, keep getting better at your hobby, so that you keep enjoying it.

Unoriginal
2018-09-02, 05:42 AM
No, you’re not, you’re not used to how wotc handles things, selling you a book that needs three more books to use.
A practice which i don’t condemn, i understand that their employees gotta eat, i just meant to elaborate that i can see how it’s confusing.
Keep DMing, keep asking if you don’t understand anything, keep getting better at your hobby, so that you keep enjoying it.

The Spy's statblock, like most monsters', is available for free in the SRD.

https://dnd5e.info/appendices/appendix-mm-b-nonplayer-characters/spy/

Having statblocks be in the MM is much more elegant than having to re-publish each statblock needed in each adventure module, not to mention the space it'd take in the module.

Note that the few monsters in ToA who had a statblock in the Volo's got it re-published in the module, to not force people to buy the Volo's just for that.

Quoxis
2018-09-02, 06:14 AM
The Spy's statblock, like most monsters', is available for free in the SRD.

https://dnd5e.info/appendices/appendix-mm-b-nonplayer-characters/spy/

Having statblocks be in the MM is much more elegant than having to re-publish each statblock needed in each adventure module, not to mention the space it'd take in the module.

Note that the few monsters in ToA who had a statblock in the Volo's got it re-published in the module, to not force people to buy the Volo's just for that.

The incredible and inhumane space of 3 pages in a 250+ page book, around 15 half-pages of which are art without any value to the campaign? :P

Look, i said i‘m not mad about it and i don’t want to derail this resolved thread just to rant and rerant. Wanna discuss the point further? Tell me, then we can do it via PM or start a new thread.