PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hero U: Rogue to Redemption

Bastian Weaver
2018-09-02, 05:12 AM
So I felt like sharing my thoughts about this one.
Rogue to Redemption is a PC game made by Lory and Corey Cole. The Coles were the duo that created Sierra's Quest for Glory games, which I consider to be the best fantasy games of their time (1989 to late nineties, that's when Quest for Glory 5 was released, I believe).
And years later they made an indie game, released this July, that is a sequel of sorts to the Quest for Glory series. Of sorts, say I, because you can play it just fine if you've never heard of the QfG. It's still fun.
You start the game as young Shawn O'Conner, the guy who wants to join the local Thieves' Guild. Instead, he finds himself in Hero University, a place where they teach you to slay monsters, rescue damsels, restore justice, and occasionally tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under your sandalled feet. At least, that's what they teach in other classes. In your class, you're going to study more... subtle ways. And it's up to you to decide if you want to be a Thief, or a Rogue Hero.
I like pretty much everything in the game. The art and music are nice. The characters are interesting. There are several romance options (with same or opposite gender, whichever you like). Combat system reminds me of the good old days of first and second Fallout games. There are many subtle and not-so-subtle jokes.
Anyways, if you're just sitting there, thinking "Hmm, what newish RPG/adventure game should I spend my money on? Hmm!", I recommend this one.

Psyren
2018-09-06, 04:54 AM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I never played the QFG games, but I've watched them on YouTube (particularly the death/failure scenes) several times. It's the one Sierra series I never got to play growing up, so I've always been curious. I've wishlisted this on Steam thanks to you and will keep an eye on it.

LibraryOgre
2018-09-06, 10:34 AM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I never played the QFG games, but I've watched them on YouTube (particularly the death/failure scenes) several times. It's the one Sierra series I never got to play growing up, so I've always been curious. I've wishlisted this on Steam thanks to you and will keep an eye on it.

$10 for all of them. (https://www.gog.com/game/quest_for_glory)

There's also a VGA remake of QFG2. (http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/)

Psyren
2018-09-06, 11:50 AM
$10 for all of them. (https://www.gog.com/game/quest_for_glory)

There's also a VGA remake of QFG2. (http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/)

Thanks for that too. I'm not sure how well they would hold up from a pure game design (controls/UI/gameplay) standpoint, which limits my appetite for actually going through them, but I'll keep those links in mind if I ever make it through my gaming backlog. (Ha! Ha.)

tyckspoon
2018-09-06, 07:36 PM
Thanks for that too. I'm not sure how well they would hold up from a pure game design (controls/UI/gameplay) standpoint, which limits my appetite for actually going through them, but I'll keep those links in mind if I ever make it through my gaming backlog. (Ha! Ha.)

The combat engines are a bit awkward, although you can mostly brute-force your way through that if you're willing to put a little time into grinding your character's stats in the RPG-style side of things. The exploration/adventure game is pretty standard Sierra for its age - point and click adventure where your cursor for interacting with things is a big awkward character icon instead of a pointer, and you'll sometimes have to wiggle into exactly the right pixel before you're 'close enough' to interact with certain objects. It's also pretty classic Sierra in that pretty much everything has flavor text attached, usually with a joke. I feel like the series has less stupid deaths and usually somewhat more sensible puzzles than a lot of the other titles of its era, possibly due to them wanting to let you rely on your class and RPG stats - you get less 'You have to precisely guess what the designer thought the answer to this obscure mythological reference should be' and more 'well, I chose the Fighter/Thief/Mage class, so what ways could I get through this by applying muscle/sneakiness/magic?' The earlier games do have some of the usual text-parser "guess the right verb form" oddity in interaction; the later point-n-click ones do away with that, although they do have a couple quirks generated by that interface too (there's a running gag/reference of the 'thief's symbol', which is a silly gesture that you use as a Rogue to identify yourself to other sneaky and underworld type people. In text, you just type 'make thief sign'. Figuring out how to do it in the point and click interface is somewhat less than intuitive.)

Rodin
2018-09-07, 02:19 AM
Picked this up yesterday, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I was worried by the intro bit as it was just wall-to-wall puns, of the same ilk as Piers Anthony's books once he stopped writing books and started trying to cram as many puns as possible in.

However, once in the game proper the pun density settles down and it's much more like the games I remember. The game design itself is a bit different than what I was expecting - I was really expecting the full QFG experience. Instead, it reminds me more of Danganronpa done in a Western style. There's a set schedule through the day and most of it is talking to people and deciding where to spend your precious time. It's QFG meets Visual Novel, and the combination works really well.

The only thing that hasn't impressed me so far is the combat, which seems pretty basic. Fortunately, it looks like there's going to be very little of that. I'm hoping that I can just sneak through the game and avoid most of it anyway.

Rusty Spoon
2018-09-17, 06:31 PM
So I felt like sharing my thoughts about this one.
Rogue to Redemption is a PC game made by Lory and Corey Cole. The Coles were the duo that created Sierra's Quest for Glory games, which I consider to be the best fantasy games of their time (1989 to late nineties, that's when Quest for Glory 5 was released, I believe).
And years later they made an indie game, released this July, that is a sequel of sorts to the Quest for Glory series. Of sorts, say I, because you can play it just fine if you've never heard of the QfG. It's still fun.
You start the game as young Shawn O'Conner, the guy who wants to join the local Thieves' Guild. Instead, he finds himself in Hero University, a place where they teach you to slay monsters, rescue damsels, restore justice, and occasionally tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under your sandalled feet. At least, that's what they teach in other classes. In your class, you're going to study more... subtle ways. And it's up to you to decide if you want to be a Thief, or a Rogue Hero.
I like pretty much everything in the game. The art and music are nice. The characters are interesting. There are several romance options (with same or opposite gender, whichever you like). Combat system reminds me of the good old days of first and second Fallout games. There are many subtle and not-so-subtle jokes.
Anyways, if you're just sitting there, thinking "Hmm, what newish RPG/adventure game should I spend my money on? Hmm!", I recommend this one.

Ohmigosh, I love the QfG series so much, and I remember a few years back when Hero U was announced. Thanks for the heads up it's finally released! Looking forward to playing this :smallbiggrin: