PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A playing an eldritch knight, I have a question about bonded weapons

dehro
2018-09-02, 08:21 AM
where do they go?
I'm thinking the basic trick would be to carry my weapons on me but being able to stash them somewhere and enter a place unarmed, so that I can give someone a nasty surprise if things go south.
what happens with the weapon once I've called it though? can I dismiss it/send it back where it came from? does it go someplace mystical like the blade pact warlock's sword?
or is it much like Mjollnir, where I can leave it someplace, or throw it and have it come back to me, but then I'm stuck with it until I throw or hide or lose it again?

kenposan
2018-09-02, 08:35 AM
Once summoned, you're stuck with it. It's not like a Warlock's weapon that can be summoned and dismissed. EKs can only summon the weapon to them.

If you don't have it with you, it has to be somewhere on the same plane in order to summon it.

You sell it to a merchant and then summon it back to you.

You throw it at a giant and summon it back to you.

You have it stolen by a thief and summon it back to you.

You leave it somewhere because you suffer memory loss and summon it back to you.

You bury it somewhere so in a time of need you can summon it back to you.

dehro
2018-09-02, 09:07 AM
pretty much what I thought... oh, well.. not as cool as the warlock thing, but still pretty useful, if used right
thanks

Lunali
2018-09-02, 09:07 AM
If you don't have it with you, it has to be somewhere on the same plane in order to summon it.

Keep in mind this means you can't stash it in a bag of holding or the like. Also, if your DM is fond of moving you to different planes, it would probably be wise to keep it handy most of the time.

dehro
2018-09-02, 10:12 AM
Keep in mind this means you can't stash it in a bag of holding or the like. Also, if your DM is fond of moving you to different planes, it would probably be wise to keep it handy most of the time.

won't be an issue..we're mere level 3 pawns, and I don't think we're risking that sort of obstacles just yet

Camman1984
2018-09-02, 10:47 AM
My rogue/fighter multiclass is going this route so she can do some of the following things.

1. temporarily bond to weapons and yoyo sell them but can the merchant tell they are bonded? i assume an hour of playing or an identify would tell you?

2. never be unarmed, she is also a diplomat for one of the evil cities and spends a lot of time in non-combat encounters. always good to know if I leave my blade at the door it is coming right back.

3. bond with the barbarians maul, so he too can always be armed, or disarmed if he threatens me, gets charmed etc, he is far too dangerous otherwise

4. bond with a custom made swiss army dagger, with tools of my choice build in, maybe if find a way if weaponising our bag of holding haha

ImproperJustice
2018-09-02, 11:49 AM
You could always make a simple trap by suspending something or holding a mechanism open using your weapon and then summon it to your hand, triggering the trap.

dehro
2018-09-02, 01:35 PM
my character has to learn the limitations of his powers gradually and on his own.. so for now I'm having him bond with a throwing knife that he will be able to retrieve after every throw...and to his main weapon, should he ever drop it.